Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Leonids '07, The lion sleeps tonight
djellison
post Nov 19 2006, 07:38 AM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I set up my 400D doing 30s exposures every 34 seconds, F3.5, ISO 800, fully wide ( 18mm*1.6 so 29mm equiv ) when I went to bed - it took 247 exposures looking east, from 0027 to 0257 before the battery packed up in the cold of the conservatory. I figure I was capturing 88% of that period of time on film...a total of 132 minutes of exposed time. They're great images...you can watch Leo slowly rising - M44 is very visible - getting stars down to 7, 7.5, maybe 8. Not the ideal pointing, but the best I could do from the conservatory given that I wanted to keep everything inside....a few banks of light cloud popped through every now and again, but overall, I'm fairly sure any Leonid that I would have noticed by eye I would have seen on 'film'.. I know I didn't 'get' the peak....but even 5 per hour would have seen me get a couple at least...

I have ONE streak on film....and it's not a Leonid.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_images/IMG_0107.jpg ( scaled to 50% )

I think the Lion had a night off, and I know Stu didn't fair much better in Kendal.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 02:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.