IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nature of Victoria's dark streaks, swept clean, deposited, or other?
centsworth_II
post Apr 23 2007, 04:25 AM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 22 2007, 08:15 PM) *
... dunes of the ordinary dark sand I assume is all over, but usually under the light dust.

Spoken like a true sweeper.

I like to think the sweep view is a traditional view of Mars, where, on the whole,
the surface is continually coated with a layer of light-colored dust. When the dust
is blown away a generally darker surface is exposed.

One thing bothers me though. The light outcrop rock at the edge of the crater is
darkened where the dark streak begins. Is this due to dark sand, or an accumulation
of berries? It would be nice to find out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Apr 23 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #332

Member No.: 116

It is difficult to imagine windblown, blueberry ripples, but we are seeing what I interpret as relict ripples on Tierra del Fuego that are covered with abundant berries. It's really not that different from ripples we've seen from the beginning. Many, if not most, have been covered by a residual layer of berries and coarse fragments. They armor the ripples and retard further deflation of fines. I don't know if that is what has happened to those dark ripples inside the north rim. I was thinking they were dark sand being moved around and winnowed by winds that were not quite up to the task of driving them all the way up the slope.

fredk: We agree in spite of the words used. I see that southerly can mean "toward the south" or "from the south." I always understood that your observation indicated winds that were toward the rim. wink.gif

I also agree that we do not need an exotic source for dark grains. There are plenty of them around, both inside and outside of the crater.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 23 2007, 04:45 AM
Post #333

QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 22 2007, 05:24 PM) *
... does the MRO pic of Victoria - a crop of which I posted a page or so ago - clearly show unusual dark material at the foot of the bays in question, blown into El Dorado-like dunes and crests, thus proving wind action there?

Yes, the dark ripples you speak of are really there. And I doubt that anyone denies there is wind at work.
But how "unusual" is the dark material? It is probably the same sand found all around in Victoria, but just
selected (sorted) for larger, darker grains by the particular wind currents in those bays. I think the less
imaginative sweepers and depositionists will come to agree at this point:

The sand in the dark bays has been sorted for larger(?), heavier(?), darker grains. These may also
be blown up over the rim by extra stong gusts. All the while, below and above the rim, wind gusts are
keeping the area clear of dust, maintaining the dark contrast with the surrounding area.

Unfortunately, I doubt Opportunity will get a close look at the dark ripples to see how much the
material resembles that of El Dorado on a MI scale.. I wonder how much the mini TES can tell.

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post Apr 23 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #334

Guests

This will be my contribution to the pandemonium for the day...

Why is the bed rock darkening on the streak? The bedrock is light colored matterial. In a clean sweep, it should at best not change. Let's just assume that by the clean sweep theory that there is a darkening of the bed rock, by whatever mechanism. Why does it only start over the rim where it's relatively flat? Is there not enough wind two or three feet farther down the slope? Isn't the wind highest in the chute? Isn't the rest of the bed rock around the rim light because of clean sweeping there?

It's easy to explain the darkening of the bed rock in the streak if it is dark sand or dust that is causing the streak. The slope and texture of the rock at the top of the chute wont hold the particles there. Right over the top, where the rock becomes horizontal, the particles have no problem resting there.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 23 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #335

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Apr 23 2007, 04:45 AM) *
The sand in the dark bays has been sorted for larger(?), heavier(?), darker grains. These may also
be blown up over the rim by extra stong gusts. All the while, below and above the rim, wind gusts are
keeping the area clear of dust, maintaining the dark contrast with the surrounding area.

Hang on, that's having it BOTH ways. You're saying there is dark dust blowing up out of the crater but also saying that wind gusts keep the area clear of dust...? blink.gif

Here's a colour comp from today's pancams...

Attached Image

Now, looking at that purely unscientifically, forgetting all I know (or think I know!) about Mars, that little craterlet at the bottom there looks like it's been covered and partially filled by something... dusty. It looks smooth, rounded, a bit out of focus if you like. Not sharp-edged at all. If this area was being swept clean of dust, wouldn't that crater look a bit sharper? Or would erosion over time have left it looking so smooth? Or is it just full of bluberries?? Just wondering, not putting it forwars as pro-deposition evidence m'lud...

Oppy! Get your **** over to that crater edge and take a good look at what's there, because this is starting to give me a headache... huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 23 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #336

The Poet Dude

Actually she seems to be pretty close to the edge now...

Attached Image

ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 23 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #337

The Poet Dude

And finally...

Attached Image

Right, talk among yourselves, I'm off to work. I expect this matter to be settled once and for all when I get back.

Not! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 23 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #338

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ Apr 23 2007, 08:30 AM) *
Why is the bed rock darkening on the streak?... Is there not enough wind two or three feet farther down the slope? Isn't the wind highest in chute?
This is a great point, Ed. I hope we pause there on our drive back!

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 23 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #339

QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ Apr 23 2007, 04:30 AM) *
Why is the bed rock darkening on the streak?
My bet is dust free berries.

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post Apr 23 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #340

Guests

the berries already look pretty dark to me. How much darker do you expect them to get?

+Quote Post
Gray
post Apr 23 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #341

Member No.: 34

Edward,
I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, I'm just not sure I understand what you mean when you say that the bedrock darkens in the streaks. As far as I recall, all of the bedrock surfaces I've seen have been a pale tone, even in the streaks. But, I haven't studied the images intently. What am I missing?

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post Apr 23 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #342

Guests

Gray,

I'm not sure... Did you open the image from that post? I have circled in red the bedrock that is within the streak. It appears to be darker than the rest of the exposed rock along the rim.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 24 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #343

QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ Apr 23 2007, 07:43 PM) *
...[bedrock that is within the streak] appears to be darker than the rest of the exposed rock along the rim.

I believe there are only two possibilities: The darkening of the bedrock is caused by dark
granular material covering the bedrock, or berries, or a combination. My bet is on berries.

+Quote Post
Gray
post Apr 24 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #344

Member No.: 34

Edward,
Thanks I did miss the earlier post. I think I'd tend to agree with CentsII. My guess would be that the darker tone is due to something covering the bedrock. But if the bedrock itself is darker - wow, that would be very cool.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 24 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #345

Member No.: 152

Nice new images showing the appearance of light dust streaming from the rover tracks at the 1137 location, corresponding to winds blowing towards the south (these are always called northerly winds, according to standard, if sometimes baffling, English usage!):
Compare sol 1138: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...IBP2678L2M1.JPG
with sol 1140: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...IBP2680L2M1.JPG
The images were taken about an hour apart, so the lighting is a bit different, but the change is obvious.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 03:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.