post Jul 26 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #136

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Whoa! Well spotted! ohmy.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 27 2007, 04:57 AM
Post #137

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

That's a continuation of the changes initially spotted by fredk last week. The 3 frames over 10 sols animation is nice. There are some other frames that could be forced into the animation, but these three frames provide two roughly equal time steps of 5 sols each...1255-1260-1265 I'm watching it on my PC right now, but these animations drive me to the brink. I can't force the gif below the file size limitation without terribly degrading its quality. I'm sure someone else will manage to post one.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 27 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #138

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Had to scale down a bit and clip top and bottom, but the 13 frame file comes in at just under 3mb.
Here's a link to it.
EDIT: Sorry, for some reason the server is running very slow at the moment. Apologies if you are trying to download.
Attached Image

A small two frame reference.
Lots of movement.

Astro0

+Quote Post
Gray
post Jul 27 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 34

Thanks Astro0.
It did take a while to download, but it's a very revealing animation. As you said - lot's of movement.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 28 2007, 05:51 AM
Post #140

This simple animated gif is what I was trying to post. I just wanted to keep the time steps roughly equal and the image size maximized. I had to crop it down to the area where most of the movement is taking place. ...1255...1260...1265...
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 28 2007, 06:13 AM
Post #141

Member No.: 1700

that's the best visualization of the local effect of the storm I've seen. thanks for squishing it thru the portal biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 28 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #142

Member No.: 110

Horizon comparison 1254-67

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jul 28 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #143

Guests

Cosmicrocker, that is just excellent.

So much for those theories about the sand only shifting over millenia on the surface of Mars. I never understood those ideas anyway...

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jul 29 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #144

Member No.: 424

>Horizon comparison 1254-67

Alan,

Thanks for that "Lonely Mountain" diptych. It's one of the most evocative storm images yet.

TTT

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 29 2007, 03:49 AM
Post #145

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Oersted:
"So much for those theories about the sand only shifting over millenia on the surface of Mars. I never understood those ideas anyway... "

They weren't theories, they were observations. No dune, no drift, nothing but the thinnest surface layer of dust, has ever been observed to move before in this way. This is a unique and very important observation. Thanks, Cosmicrocker.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 29 2007, 05:44 AM
Post #146

Well, fredk was the guy who was on the lookout at the time, and who first noticed the changes. His earlier comment and animation motivated me to watch for another way to display it.

It is too bad Opportunity was so energy deprived that she couldn't capture similar images. With a little luck, she should be able to give us some before and after views that we can compare.

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
Tman
post Jul 29 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #147

Member No.: 186

Hey that's great! Another nice piece of Mars weather behavior.

In what direction has the wind blown here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 29 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 174

The Viking 1 lander was operating in it's "eternal" extended mission mode and taking very slowly accumulated panoramas (one segment at a time, transmitting in the blind to earth) and "monitoring" images, repeated in a much shorter cycle, of a few specific targets including a few sampler-arm deposited "conical piles" of dirt, dumped in at least one case on top of the end of a largish nearby rock.

Just before the lander died of battery failure and command error, a major, presumably globe-encircling dust storm developed and at least one of the dust piles was nearly blown away by presumably storm associated winds.

Whether the extremely limited data from the lander before it died showed any changes in surface features that were not disturbed by the lander, I don't know, but I don't think any were reported. Worth looking at the limited data again, I'd say.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jul 29 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #149

Member No.: 1206

From the gif, from what azumith is the wind coming?

P

+Quote Post
Tman
post Jul 29 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 186

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 19 2007, 06:59 AM) *
If you look at the area I circled in black in the image below, you can see light splotches that move collectively towards the lower right, which corresponds to roughly towards the south.
[attachment=11231:attachment]

Ah Fred mentioned it already. It looks like we've had here wind from north roughly.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 07:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.