37 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Storm, Dust storm of 2007
OWW
post Jul 13 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

Well, according to Mark Lemmon's site tau is now 3.3 for Spirit. Same as Oppy. Maybe it will stabilize around this value then.

Everybody says Martian dust storms begin in the summer. But what time of year IS it anyway? The official MER-site and the MMB both have very nice martian clocks, but no calendar!
Is it 'June', 'July' or 'August' now? And is there a comparison somewhere on the net with the 1971 and 2001 storms? In which 'months' did those storms start and decay?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 13 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 110

The southern summer solstice was last week.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 13 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 590

For a Mars calendar/clock, I like Mars24:

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/

--Greg

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 13 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #109

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

And here's a table showing some past and future Mars seasonal dates. I have always intended to add some past ones going back to Mariner days, but never got around to sitting down with Mars24 and plugging dates in to find all the solstices and equinoxes.

http://planetary.org/explore/topics/mars/calendar.html

The Mars dust storm season begins just after perihelion at around Ls = 260°, wich is 10° (that is, 1/36 of a year or 1/3 "month", whatever that means for Mars) before the summer solstice.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Jul 14 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 1503

Look at those drastic differences in the tracks after the new drive!

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...RZP2571L2M1.JPG

That's amazing. Does anyone know which days those tracks are from? I know the clear ones were just made.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 14 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (helvick @ Jul 10 2007, 10:12 PM) *
That 255 whr figure for Sol 1225 is bugging me (Sorry Astr0 - feel free to object right back smile.gif )

I calculate that at a Tau of 4.1 on Sol 1225 for Opportunity she should have generated around 310Whr.
Some updated numbers in the latest Oppy update:
The tau measurement as of sol 1225 is 4.12, resulting in a mere 280 watt-hours of array energy.
Also, some more details to add to the confusion about how much power Oppy needs to survive:
A tau measurement of 5.0 would result in approximately 150 watt-hours. If tau begins to approach 5.0, the team will have to begin deleting communications windows in order to conserve energy and keep from draining the batteries.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 14 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #112

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 14 2007, 03:19 PM) *
Some updated numbers in [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status_opportunityAll.html#sol1220]the latest Oppy update

Before anyone worries unduly, we should remind everyone that the news updates usually lag behind. Sol 1225 was the peak tau (as far as we've been told). It's now early on sol 1234 (heh, neat), and the tau is lower than that, unless it's spiked back up in the last two sols.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Jul 14 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #113

Actually....from mark lemmon's site:

Sol 1233B: Opacity B1233 was 3.8 but it got above 4 during the sol.

Continues to rise for both Oppy and Spirit. Unfortunately.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 14 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #114

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

D'oh. Okay, I guess it has spiked back up. How unfortunate.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 14 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 152

Yeah, mhoward, I could have said "some updated old numbers".

Speaking of Lemmon's site, he also writes:
New sol 1233B: Special guest appearance by the first of several fast dust devil movies at Meridiani to characterize lifting near and beyond the crater rim.
What the heck does he mean by "lifting"? Lifting of dust as the storm subsides? It's not exactly subsiding! He says "fast dd movies" - does that mean they're looking for short time scale phenomena? Gusts of wind perhaps?? Any other ideas?

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 15 2007, 06:07 AM
Post #116

Member No.: 116

Yeah, I saw those frames come down today and wondered, "are they doing DD movies at Meridiani?" I suspect all of the frames are not down, but some looked to be fast, and others were many seconds apart. We at least seem to have parts of two movies so far.

I thought I noticed some subtle, local brightness variations in the sky among the available raw navcams. Maybe some of our "above the horizon" image magicians can find evidence of dust being lifted from the ground. That's what I think was meant by lifting.

The storm is certainly not subsiding yet. Meridiani and Gusev are experiencing new peaks. Searching for some good news, it sounds as if the rovers have plans for tau values around 5,

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 15 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #117

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

New record for Opportunity on B1234 of 4.2. Much kudos to Mark for keeping the figures updated despite being involved in a Phoenix ORT.

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 16 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #118

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Oh my...not good. unsure.gif I searched in vain for the latest amateur Mars obs of this storm...anybody have any updates? This data suggests regional enrichment.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 16 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #119

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Damian Peach has put a few up at the BAA website ( www.britastro.org )

Doug

+Quote Post
OWW
post Jul 16 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #120

I also found this site:

http://elvis.rowan.edu/marswatch/news.php

Click on images on the left.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 03:35 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.