2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Image Processing Software, Advice for image processing newbies
Juramike
post Sep 5 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

What kind of image processing software would be good for a newbie interested in starting to manipulate basic images (JPEG, TIFF, PPG)?

Is there a big difference between Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop CS3 Extended?
What do y'all recommend?

(And how can I get this cheap? Man, this stuff looks expensive!)

Any advice would be helpful, but I am so NOT an IT guy: I still move my lips when I try to read software manuals. (I usually just click the default option on installation windows and jsut hope everything works OK.)

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 5 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #2

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Group: Members
Member No.: 437

I use Paint Shop Pro 8; it's cheap and fairly powerful, in addition to having a shallow learning curve.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dominik
post Sep 6 2007, 04:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 484

I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 6 biggrin.gif.

Combined with some additional filters and an DDS exporter it's still enough for my purposes. I'm creating textures for Celestia with this tool. smile.gif

--------------------
--- Under Construction ---

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 6 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Juramike @ Sep 6 2007, 12:04 AM) *
And how can I get this cheap?

Use The GIMP - nothing cheaper than free. smile.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 6 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I am still using Photoshop CS2. I haven't found any convincing reason to go to CS3 yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 6 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #6

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Sep 6 2007, 03:09 PM) *
I haven't found any convincing reason to go to CS3 yet.

And I don't think that you will either. CS 2.0001 is more appropriate than CS3 to be honest.

Doug

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 7 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #7

Thanks, all!

I'm in the process of downloading the free trial of Paint Shop Pro. Based on the slow-as-molasses transfer rate everyone else must be, too (325 Mb file at an average transfer rate of 25 Kb/sec - groan). I've also pulled down the GIMP and all it's associated run-time enviroment stuff.

I'll load both up and do the flight test. (ease of use, functionality)

Oh yeah, I snagged both from download.com: http://www.download.com/Digital-Photography/?tag=dir

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Jan 19 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 217

Hoping this is the right place to post this query
I've been using PSP to colour combine MER pictures just by grey scaling then combining RGB however my new machine has Photoshop elements 2.0 I can grey scale the picture but don't know how to recombine them.
Do I have to upgrade to CS3 or is there an easy way to combine RGB in Photoshop elements 2.0
Roy

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 20 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #9

For any wanna-be imagesmythes to put on their list for Santa, here's a really excellent book on using Photoshop for space photography:

R. Scott Ireland "Photoshop Astronomy" , 2005, Willman-Bell, Inc. (Amazon listing here)

The tutorial includes a DVD with step-by-step exercises. The author does a phenomenal job of working through the common techniques and also weaves in shortcuts and multiple ways to do things with each example. I can't recommend it enough! You will not be dissapointed!

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
post Feb 15 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4600

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Sep 6 2007, 04:01 AM) *
Use The GIMP - nothing cheaper than free. smile.gif

James

I downloaded GIMP and also found a plug-in for making gores out of (presumably) Mercator projection maps. However, I'd have to insert the plug-in into the source code, which I'd have to download, and it looks like the tarball comes in several files, and how do I maniupulate the tarballs, etc. I'm pretty lost, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

jY

+Quote Post
imipak
post Feb 16 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 617

Are you on Windows, or a Unix-y OS like Linux, OS X etc? It's going to be a lot easier if the latter. A very quick google turned up http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/Compil...ows-8606-1.html .

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Ryan Balfanz
post Jun 17 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4807

QUOTE (Juramike @ Sep 5 2007, 06:04 PM) *
What kind of image processing software would be good for a newbie interested in starting to manipulate basic images (JPEG, TIFF, PPG)?

Is there a big difference between Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop CS3 Extended?
What do y'all recommend?

(And how can I get this cheap? Man, this stuff looks expensive!)

Any advice would be helpful, but I am so NOT an IT guy: I still move my lips when I try to read software manuals. (I usually just click the default option on installation windows and jsut hope everything works OK.)

-Mike

Since you're not an IT guy this might not help you very much but ImageMagick is a great command line utility.

For those Python developers out there, there is the Python Imaging Library, which I have found to be quite powerful and easy to use.

Both are be great resources when processing large data sets containing images, as I have been doing recently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maschnitz
post Jun 18 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4520

Dittoing ImageMagick. ImageMagick is the lingua franca of computer image libraries. Note that ImageMagick may be accessed programmatically from all major scripting languages (Python, Perl, and Ruby, eg) and C/C++. So it's well worth learning.

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 5 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4057

This is very brief description of basic morphing with Sqirlz Morph, which can answer some question from EPOXI thread and belongs more
to Image Processing Techniques.

You can download program from here http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzMorph.html.
Animation process is really simple.
Key parts of the procedure are:
Preparing initial images (cropping and centering).
Opening two close (in time) images.
Matching corresponding key points on images.
Testing and repositioning key points (most time consuming part, most difficult key points are those on sharp edges without distinctly quidance).
Making output video (if it's video for follow-up processing, choosing compression to lossless is good idea).
Making same procedure for all images and joining videos (in different program, I use VirtualDub).

EDIT: Squirlz => Sqirlz

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Mar 28 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1083

Has anyone used IDL for image analysis? I'm processing images in ISIS and I know there is an ISIS DLM to read .cub files in IDL. What I'm really trying to figure out is if and where map-projected lat/long information is maintained. Thanks!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.