6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
36 years on Mars, Mars 3 anniversary
PDP8E
post Dec 14 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1241

A brief scan of the web turned up these images of the MARS 3 lander in a Moscow Museum

the cameras are on the top (there were two, I believe...
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Here is the ship with lander in the aeroshell
Attached Image

enjoy comrades!

--------------------
CLA CLL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 15 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 14 2007, 04:51 PM) *
A brief scan of the web turned up these images of the MARS 3 lander in a Moscow Museum

the cameras are on the top (there were two, I believe...

Yes, there were two of them, and the black box visible on top is the amazing PrOP-M walking minirover

--------------------
I'm one of the most durable and fervent advocates of space exploration, but my take is that we could do it robotically at far less cost and far greater quantity and quality of results.

James Van Allen

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 15 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #18

Guests

Thanks for sharing those photos and only the black & white photo shows the arm which deployed the PrOP-M, which was a small tethered rover at the end of an arm on these Soviet-Russian Mars pod landers which were based on the Luna 9 four-petalled opening/righting mechanism!

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 16 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #19

We have had 8 more inches of snow today on top of the 10 inches from a few days ago...
...so I was shovelling the driveway and heaving snow and then watching it roll down if i didn't get it over the top of the heap...

I am putting a stake in the ground: based on the proximity of all landers to craters and then Oppy actually rolling into one, I speculate that the Mars 3 is tipped over in the bottom a crater. probably not a very deep one, but I conjecture it caught the slope and rolled over to the bottom. The picture I call 'the most probable' would then show the view at the bottom of a crater with undisturbed and disturbed soil (e.g. Oppy's airbag prints, MER tracks in general, -etc). Now if the HiRise guys just listened to my instructions on how to snap a picture of Mars 3, we will all have a wonderful Christmas present laugh.gif rolleyes.gif huh.gif

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Dec 16 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 12 2007, 07:57 PM) *
Some other points to consider:
- Soviet experts (early 1970s) agreed that this image was just noise.
- The camera’s longer axis should be the vertical axis of the image – making interpretation 1, 2, and 3, scenes from a craft lying on its side.
- The landing was during a regional/global dust storm
- The available lighting was supposedly 50lux (low lighting)

[attachment=12866:colorcm3p01.png]

Dear PDP8 : agreed !
Here are the original "data" in better format + its stretched on its good vertical axis.
The resulting "noise", processed this way, could easily be interpreted as a dark surface seen under a dusty sky with the Sun being hidden by the camera cover just outside the left of the "picture"... If this is indeed an "image"... If the Mars 3 s/c worked well until reaching the surface... If this successful 20 sec data is not Soviet propaganda... Too many "ifs" !!!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 3 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #21

Happy MARS 3 Landing Anniversary (well, yesterday: Dec 2, 1971 -- Dec 2, 2009)

It has now been 38 years and only one HiRise image of the neighborhood!

We shall find you yet!

Cheers

(this thread is 2 years old...yikes!)

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 19 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 227

Resurrecting an old thread... but it seems better than starting a new one, especially because the images are just above this post... I just had one of those epiphany things.

I was looking at this:

http://www.mrc.uidaho.edu/entryws/full/pro...e_detailed.html

(Presentation 1.41 about Venera probes, but it also covers Mars 3 and Mars 6). A picture and diagram of Mars 3 shows the dual camera system - it had two cameras like Luna 13, not one camera like Luna 9. But the Luna 13 panoramic image starts with a messy area which is really a closeup of the second camera (which failed to operate). Is this what is being viewed in the fragment of a panorama from Mars 3? In this view it would be real image data, but useless - if the Luna 13 image is anything to go by it's not a reflection of the surface of Mars in the camera body. But it might explain what is being seen.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
yurdel
post Nov 29 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4747

My congratulations on forthcoming anniversary landings to Mars of Mars 3 lander! 40 years of silence and riddles.

This photo is made in the beginning of this year in Memorial Astronautics Museum in Moscow

Other photos on a site http://mars71.ru/fotos.php

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 18 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1004

a picture of a Mars-71 lander during impact tests

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I'm one of the most durable and fervent advocates of space exploration, but my take is that we could do it robotically at far less cost and far greater quantity and quality of results.

James Van Allen

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 11 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #25

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Mars 3 hardware may have been spotted in some HiRISE images. The parachute and heatshield look convincing to me.

http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_031036_1345

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
remcook
post Apr 11 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #26

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Very nice ohmy.gif

"Philip J. Stooke from the University of West Ontario, Canada, suggested the direction of search and offered helpful advice. Arnold Selivanov (one of the creators of Mars 3) and Vladimir Molodtsov (an engineer at NPO Lavochkin, Moscow) helped with access to data archives. " smile.gif

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA16920

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Apr 11 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 6336

I've read the text and found that they did their homework well, with models of what each component would look like etc. Good job.

But the fact that the images do leave room for other interpretations leaves me still hesitant.

Yet if the further studies they mention do show that this is the real thing I do say congratulations to Vitali Egorov, Alexander Basilevsky and others for the detective work of locating Mars 3!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 11 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 227

I did offer some advice on this, though I had nothing to do with finding the objects in the image. But I don't actually see that reference to me in any of the links.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 11 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 5221

It's the 2nd paragraph from bottom on this page; weird how many repeat 'home pages' there are for missions.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/news/mro2013411.html

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Apr 12 2013, 12:47 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 722

One similar feature would be easy to explain away; several anomalous ones together, much less so, IMO.

If they found this, I can only smile and clap. smile.gif Amazing work, amazing crowdsourcing.

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 09:36 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.