Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spy Satellite to Hit Earth by late February to March
tedstryk
post Feb 22 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #91

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

That's fine. rolleyes.gif The conversation was not only about velocity relative to earth. Your making the a posteriori claim that it was after ElkGroveDan's post doesn't make it so.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PhilHorzempa
post Feb 26 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 709

Now that we see that we are able to successfully de-construct a satellite with a Star
Wars projectile, I would like to suggest that this method could be a cost-effective procedure to
de-orbit other satellites when their missions have ended. The principal satellite that I have in
mind is the Hubble Space Telescope.
You may recall that NASA has planned to launch a mission, manned or unmanned, to dock
with the HST (after a docking ring is attached during STS-125) and effect a de-orbit maneuver.
This is likely to drain anywhere from $100 million to $500 million from NASA's Space Science budget.
Why not spend $25 million on a Star Wars projectile to do the job?

Another Phil

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 26 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (PhilHorzempa @ Feb 27 2008, 12:02 AM) *
Why not spend $25 million on a Star Wars projectile to do the job?

Because at Hubble's height of 600 km you would be basically doing what the Chinese did - creating a load of dangerous space junk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 26 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #94

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Not a bad idea! It'll take a few more years then planned for HST to get low enough for a hit (and favorable debris reentry), but certainly doing so would be more cost-effective then a dedicated Shuttle mission.

Kind of a bummer to think about, though... sad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 26 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #95

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Might be more "cost effective", but after all the wonders she's shown us I think Hubble deserves a better end than being shot out of the sky and blown to bits by a stupid missile. Over-romantic, I know, but I'd much rather she ended her mission burning up like Enterprise did in the 3rd ST movie than being used as an orbital clay pigeon for some trainee A-SAT gunner's target practice. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 27 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #96

Merciless Robot

Yeah...<sigh>...I feel ya, Stu, but this actually might be the best solution.

Given an unlimited budget & a choice, I'd have the Shuttle catch HST & bring it back home for permanent display in the US National Air & Space Museum. However, I don't think that the Shuttle is actually capable of returning a large payload like that (might be wrong, but IIRC there are some very stringent mass restrictions for the landing envelope), nor do I think that the cost vs. benefit vs. risk profile for such a mission would be favorable, even if it did turn out to be feasible.

Like I said: a bummer. At least we seem to have a relatively safe deorbit option available for large SVs now.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Feb 27 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 734

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 26 2008, 07:24 PM) *
Yeah...<sigh>...I feel ya, Stu, but this actually might be the best solution.

Given an unlimited budget & a choice, I'd have the Shuttle catch HST & bring it back home for permanent display in the US National Air & Space Museum. However, I don't think that the Shuttle is actually capable of returning a large payload like that (might be wrong, but IIRC there are some very stringent mass restrictions for the landing envelope),

The shuttle could since HST is relatively light. The issue is that some of the servicing "mods" would have to be undone to allow it to fit in the bay

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 27 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 26 2008, 06:24 PM) *
I don't think that the Shuttle is actually capable of returning a large payload like that (might be wrong, but IIRC there are some very stringent mass restrictions for the landing envelope...

As Jim said, some mods would have to be removed, and an orbiter would have to be *significantly* modified in order for HST to fit in its payload bay (for a variety of reasons, Columbia was the only orbiter whose bay was suitable for returning HST, and plans said that it was going to be used for that task prior to its destruction).

But while landing with a significant payload in the bay can make things a little dicey under some circumstances, it's just plain impossible that a Shuttle would be allowed to lift off with a payload it can't land with. Otherwise, most all of the ascent abort modes would be worthless -- you can't take time in an RTLS abort, for example, to open the payload bay doors and dump the contents... huh.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 27 2008, 04:10 AM
Post #99

Merciless Robot

Thanks for the clarification/feedback, guys. Bottom line: Not an insignificant effort to return Hubble, funding to do so is unlikely to say the least (and could certainly be better spent).

Argh. I hate playing the heavy, esp. in this case, 'cause I philosophically agree with Stu: by all rights, Hubble should be preserved & honored for what it really is, a revolutionary leap in our understanding of the Universe. Pragmatically, though, all things in LEO must come to an end, and with minimal damage to both the orbital environment & anything along the reentry ground track. HST has many years left, of course, but when the time comes we must accept it, and prepare for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mchan
post Feb 27 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 476

HST does not have a big tank of frozen hydrazine like USA 193, so there is even less of a reason for an ASAT mission against it.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #101

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

To be honest, if you look at some of the really good pics o Hubble - she's a bit of a mess. The insulation is cracking all over the place. I think a return to 1G would do a lot of damage and make he look like something of a sorry bird aestheticaly. Far better to have a 1:1 model, and then photos of the real thing where she belongs.

Doug

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 27 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #102

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

That's a great shame Doug, I hadn't realised she was so worn, but if that's true then fair enough.

Like many, I always imagined going on some sort of pilgrimage to see Hubble in the Smithsonian - the original plan was to return her to Earth and put her on display there, I think I'm right in saying? - and walking beneath that huge barrel tube and marvelling at all she gave us, but I guess that just won't happen. But swatting her out of the sky like an annoying bug seems just wrong to me, a quick and dirty fix that's typical of the way we so quickly look for the easiest way out of problems today. I actually think there'd be a lot of resistance to the idea of blowing Hubble up, and rightly so. Apart from anything else, it wouldn't teach us a thing; de-orbiting Hubble in a controlled way would be expensive, yes, but it would teach us a lot about how to do that with other payloads in the future. Blasting her to a cloud of tumbling, twinkling debris would just be a gung-ho, macho display of firepower.

IMO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #103

Founder

Here's one example : http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/images/c...ain_99_96i1.jpg - big crack down the MLI.

You can see more cracks and gaps on the left here, near the ESA logo : http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images...109-328-026.jpg

You can see an MLI patch they mounted with string one servicing mission : http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images...103_731_051.jpg : there are cracks in the panels on the left as well I think.

The thermal cycling has made it very very brittle. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up taking a fairly 'bare' Hubble out of the payload bay, and then a dozen bin-liners of broken MLI from under it on the payload bay floor. Lots of long words like embrttlement etc are here - http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT2001/5000/5480dever1.html

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Feb 27 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 279

Interesting - so it might be worth returning bits of it as an "LDEF" type-experiment? It'll have been in orbit for eighteen years this April, last servicing in August this year...

Andy

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #105

Founder

They already have - indeed, I've seen Hubble solar cells at the National Space Centre (complete with micro meteor impacts )

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 04:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.