IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
JPL Website, Anybody know any of the webmasters?
jmjawors
post Jun 13 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1376

I'm asking this on the off-chance that it may yield results.

I love JPL's website. It's easy to navigate, it's well ordered, it's quick to load. One of my favorite features of the website is the von Karman lecture series. I have learned a lot through the last couple years by watching these fine presentations. But recently it seems as if the effort to archive these lectures is beginning to wane.

I've learned from the past that this archival is not instantaneous, in some cases it can take up to a month if I miss the lecture live. So the most recent lecture, UMSF.com favorite (and deservedly so, I might add) Rob Manning, has just been archived but the links to that footage are not yet available. And because it was the last lecture, that's to be expected. But it seems that months are now being skipped. Specifically, the March lecture is not available but the April lecture is.

Of course I've emailed them about it and I don't expect (and didn't receive) an answer, but considering that the problem is still unresolved I was hoping that anybody here who might have contact with anyone who runs the site could give a little friendly reminder? Long shot, I know, but that lecture series is excellent and I'd love for the archives to be complete (so I can watch them smile.gif ).

--------------------
- Matt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vmcgregor
post Jun 13 2008, 05:47 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1381

I'd be happy to check on that for you. I recently noticed the same thing and meant to ask the Web team about it, but we all got tied up on Phoenix duty. Thanks to helvick for bringing your post to my attention. Always feel free to drop me a line.

Veronica
JPL Media Relations
veronica.mcgregor@jpl.nasa.gov

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 13 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #3

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Not directly related to THE JPL website, but congratulations Veronica on breaking through the 20,000 mark for followers for the Phoenix Twitter page. That's just wonderful. I know you don't actually write the entries, you just "pass them on" from Phoenix itself wink.gif but still, a great achievement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 13 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

I don't know if that 20,000 number counts all the ppl like me who just bookmarked it instead of subscribed. If not, I'm sure the number of followers and fans is much higher!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Jun 13 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Thanks so much, Veronica! I hated to sound like I was complaining about the site, because it's very well-made and well-maintained. But it would be great to have those programs archived. That lecture series is excellent outreach and education.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jun 13 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 424

jmjawors, thanks for posting a message that I've been meaning to write for years.

I too discovered the lecture series several years ago and have learned a good deal from them. The fact that it takes an indeterminate period ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months for an archive to become available is frustrating for people who, like me, can rarely if ever listen to a live webcast.

TTT

+Quote Post
Paolo Amoroso
post Jun 14 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1633

QUOTE (hendric @ Jun 13 2008, 05:02 PM) *
I don't know if that 20,000 number counts all the ppl like me who just bookmarked it instead of subscribed.

The number includes only users with a Twitter account who explicitly follow -- i.e. subscribe to -- MarsPhoenix updates. So, it's just a lower bound.

Paolo Amoroso

--------------------
Avventure Planetarie - Blog sulla comunicazione e divulgazione scientifica

+Quote Post
vmcgregor
post Jun 15 2008, 07:27 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1381

Regarding the lecture series-- I checked with our Web Manager, and (as I should have known) she and the rest of the Web team have been absolutely swamped with items to post over these past few months. It's a small team, just three people, and they're trying their best to catch up. The January lecture was not held at JPL and therefore not videotaped. That month we did a special showing of a JPL-produced documentary on the 50th anniversary of Explorer 1. A short (5 min.) version of that documentary is here. April and May have been posted, and she's still waiting on a transcript for March which is required for 508 compliance. . It's great to know that people are interested in watching the lectures, and hopefully we'll be able to catch up soon.

Stu, thanks for your note regarding Twitter! We made the front page of the Washington Post business section today. You were nice enough to mention it (first!) in your blog and that was much appreciated.

Veronica

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Jun 15 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #9

Thanks, Veronica. I never considered how much work it would be for a small team to caption these sometimes 90 minute videos. I certainly understand waiting for the archived videos to be posted, but like I said it was when months started getting skipped that I began to be concerned. So now I'm glad there's nothing to be concerned about. smile.gif

Thanks again, those lectures are really something I look forward to!

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jun 15 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1102

Veronica--You should consider UMSF viewers a potential source of transcribers. As I recall, several UMSF members took 20 minute blocks of a SS interview to create a transcript posted here. Lots of knowledgeable people here ready to help if asked.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Jun 15 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #11

That thought occurred to me as well. I certainly wouldn't mind helping out.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 01:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.