19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Leaving Victoria crater
ilbasso
post Aug 10 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

I think the personification is a projection of our own feelings and emotions onto the rovers. It's a natural and human thing to do. The rovers are physical devices created by us, and as such are projections of our minds and hands and bodies onto another world. Why shouldn't we also project our emotions there as well?

Think of the collective will, the fears, the hopes, the wishes of all the people who created these wonderful devices...and then think about how much time we in the UMSF community have collectively spent looking over the shoulders of these robots these past 4 years. That's probably millions of hours spent "living" with Spirit and Oppy. That's a big investment in psychic energy we have made in them!

I feel confident stating that we would not be imparting "feelings" to Spirit and Oppy if they did not have cameras on them. We can't identify with sensors. The photos make us see these rovers in a REAL place.

I also think the mobility aspect makes them somewhat easier for us to identify with, too. For example, I haven't heard much personification going on about Phoenix. We liked Sojourner and called it cute, but we never said the same thing about the Pathfinder lander. (Do we think of the rovers as "pets"?) We like the probes that can reach out and touch things, but again the identification is increased if the probe can move around to get into position.

I have seen some imparting of emotion to space probes (I remember Time Magazine calling Pioneer 10 "plucky"), but again we don't invest them with the same identification as we do the rovers - maybe because they're not sharing our vantage point of 1.75 meters above the ground.

So my opinion is that it's the combination of cameras, mobility, longevity, interacting with the environment, and seeing things from a human point of view that makes us see Spirit and Oppy as friends, fellow travelers on incredible journeys.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 10 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 186

Agree mostly! It's like the love to your car that brings you to (new) destinations too.

Tried to adjust the cloud GIF with an inverted sky image. It's 600kb http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/clouds.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 10 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #63

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

See - thats our emotions projected upon a robot - that makes sense. One might feel sadness FOR Opportunity at leaving Victoria crater (I feel the opposite), but the vehicle itself does not smile.gif That's the differentiation of lexicon that makes it make sense.

Doug

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 10 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 10 2008, 01:15 PM) *
That's the differentiation of lexicon that makes it make sense.

So you also are a member of the UMSF semantics club? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Aug 10 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #65

Guests

biggrin.gif http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EHP1214L0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 10 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #66

Hmm, the new tracks from the last drive are odd. Hope this slide of the left front wheel is only due to the (particular) slippage of the left rear wheel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Aug 10 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 721

I'm also not sad to be heading out. To be honest, as much as I was relieved to get out of those potentially rover swallowing dunes when Oppy first hit the apron, I find myself missing the almost daily tension that accompanied that journey. I'm looking forward to new sights, new adventures as she makes her way... sorry, as it makes its way to places unknown. Ithaca

Edit: Tman, I'm not quite ready for that tension just yet. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 10 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #68

I'm not yet too...

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 11 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Tman @ Aug 10 2008, 10:56 AM) *
... Tried to adjust the cloud GIF with an inverted sky image. It's 600kb http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/clouds.gif
That was very nice! smile.gif I'm going to have to learn how to do that. wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 11 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #70

It's no wizardry - is that a common term in English too? smile.gif - with PhotoShop.
A cloudless sky image, that comes the exposure/illumination of the cloud image as close as possible, has to be inverted (whitish comes blackish and blackish comes whitish). Then this inverted sky image has to cover up as layer 1 the cloud image with (here) 40 percent. Then you may working additionally some adjustments for better contrast of the clouds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 11 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #71

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 10 2008, 06:16 AM) *
You're "roughing it," apparently. biggrin.gif laugh.gif

You know, I should be at the beach or at the swimming pool right now, but here I'm "stealing" the kids' notebook in between "torrent" movies.
wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Aug 11 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #72

Guests

I'm sad to see Oppy back off from the rock wall, because I think it would have accomplished more science there than it will by heading off now.

I hope I'm wrong!

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 12 2008, 04:35 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Tman @ Aug 11 2008, 07:41 AM) *
It's no wizardry - is that a common term in English too? smile.gif - with PhotoShop. ...
Thanks, Tman. I had an idea about how you did that, and I was going to experiment with layers in PhotoShop tonight. Now that you have shared your wizardry (Yes, that's the common term in English, too.), I am able to do it.
Edit: That's one of the things I like best about this forum. There are all kinds of damn wizards hanging around here. wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Aug 12 2008, 05:08 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 529

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 11 2008, 11:35 PM) *
Edit: That's one of the things I like best about this forum. There are all kinds of damn wizards hanging around here. wink.gif

laugh.gif As are you.

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
Tman
post Aug 12 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (Tman @ Aug 11 2008, 02:41 PM) *
Then you may working additionally some adjustments for better contrast of the clouds.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2024 - 11:08 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.