14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
The Great Planet Debate conference, August 2008 - Washington DC
surreyguy
post Aug 14 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 4074

Yeah - asking how the definition (whatever it is) will be used and/or the implications of not having one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 14 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #107

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I submitted two

1)

Dr Tyson has said in the past that if you moved Pluto into an Earth-like orbit, it would grow a tail like a comet which, for a planet, would be embarrassing.

However, if we moved Earth to a Pluto-like orbit, under current rules it would cease to be a planet given that Pluto's orbit is considered not to be cleared, and that, surely, is somewhat embarrassing as well.

Given that, does the panel think the definition of a planet should be derived purely from the properties of the body in question, or should the nature and location of it's 'home' contribute to a good planetary definition?

and

2)
Who's job is it to define 'planet' - and what should the purpose of any definition be?

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 14 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 321

Good overarching questions.

That discourse of George Lakoff's which I cited, briefly, has something to say about both of them, I think. He takes the example of biologists arguing about whether genetic histories or phenotypes should be used as the basis for classification. He says that there was lengthy and vociferous debate over it, with rival camps. When the "answer" is really a matter of cutting the gordian knot: Have both systems. If one kind of biologist finds it useful to classify things genetically, then by all means, why force the phenotype system upon them? And if the other camp finds it useful to classify things by phenotype, then why force the other system on them? It would be like forcing carpenters to decide between hammer-nail solutions and screwdriver-screw solutions. Each has its use. And while standardizing would make every tool box one tool lighter, it's better to have both.

With planets, per Doug's question (1), this question of WHERE vs WHAT has come up. Cutting the gordian knot is to say that they simply call for two systems of classification (if each is found useful). For a dynamicist, obviously WHERE is important. For someone studying the structure and evolution of planetary bodies, WHAT is the gist, and WHERE matters mainly because temperature has an effect on WHAT.

I think the IAU definition may be really useful to dynamicists (although a dynamicist would have to say). Whether using the term "planet" for that makes more sense than "nucleation site" or whatever is another matter. It would have a lot to say, perhaps, about why the biggest nucleation sites that haven't cleared their orbits are so much lighter than the ones that have.

But for what the rest of planetary scientists do, it has no use. And the question remains, does *any* definition have a real use in planetary science?

And for the layfolk making their 5000 web queries a day on Pluto, would any such definition have any use?

Before they'd tossed around two definitions, the IAU leapt to the conclusion that the three (or more?) groups need one definition.

I think countless examples have shown us that the answer to Doug's (2) question is that when groups need different terms, they end up with different terms. It makes the dictionary 0.0001% bigger, and language 0.0001% more ambiguous, but that ends up being preferred over Group A having to use Group B's word. If the clash is big enough, it won't stay that way unless you have the sort of authority that kept "Stalingrad" in place as a name for sixty-some years.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 14 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #109

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

This is parenthetical (what do I ever say that isn't? rolleyes.gif ), but it seems to me that the GPD is the first such scientific ruckus over classification outside of biology, at least during the modern era. Geologists see mixtures of rock types every day, for example, and there certainly isn't a dispute on whether a particular specimen (or even a formation) is igneous, sedimentary or metamorphic, or a combination of all the above.

It's odd how emotionally attached we seem to be to some issues but not to others.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Aug 14 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 590

I asked them whether they thought we had enough examples of planets to frame a meaningful definition at all.

--Greg

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 14 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 110

It's started

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 14 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #112

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I asked why we couldn't just expand the meta-term "planet" to the broadest definition, and let the researchers define their specific subgroups of interest when they publish.

Pity we can't vote on the questions. (I really like Doug's first question)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 14 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #113

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

"Let the Games begin!!!" tongue.gif

(Silent moment of appreciation for the cleaning crew after the meeting; it's really hard to effectively remove blood, sweat, and tears...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 14 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 1345

Whoo-hoo! I'm in!

[Actually, hearing all the startup noises and fumblings is a riot! I swear I heard a "D'oh!" in there]
[Ooops, and I just heard one of the Words You Cant Say on Television]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 14 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #115

false alarm, they were only practicing the introductions

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 14 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #116

Founder

I hope so - I though it started at half-past smile.gif

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 14 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 23

Never got confirmation email sad.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 14 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #118

Founder

It's working, but I'm getting no sound at all.

(I quite the stream and then started it again, and it started working)

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 14 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #119

which one is the 13th?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 14 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #120

Founder

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon, Eris, and Makemake.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 07:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.