5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Enceladus October 31st, 2008 Encounter, More skeet shooting
Floyd
post Nov 2 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1102

Not likely. Won't visit for another year and the sun angle will no longer light up the south pole--See Carolyn Porco's Blog. View should get good again starting in 2025. blink.gif
http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/enceladus/posts/index.html

VP Thanks for the great mosaic!!! Get some sleep now.

--------------------
Floyd
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
antipode
post Nov 2 2008, 02:31 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1206

blink.gif

Interesting that jet VII is the only one not issuing from the heart of a sulcus itself. What might that say about the processes at work here, if anything?

P

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 2 2008, 04:54 AM
Post #18

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 602

Beautiful work, Jason; thanks very much! smile.gif

I'm still amazed at how rough this terrain is at this scale.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
vexgizmo
post Nov 2 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 623

QUOTE (antipode @ Nov 1 2008, 07:31 PM) *
Interesting that jet VII is the only one not issuing from the heart of a sulcus itself. What might that say about the processes at work here, if anything?

It could simply be that the predicted source location of VII was a bit off the mark. Projecting the jet sources back to the surface is no simple task!

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Nov 2 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1102

Great mission and work Carolyn and Jason--but now that you have had two days of exclusive play--how about releasing the raw images for others to play with. cool.gif

--------------------
Floyd

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 2 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 23

Don't thank me so much as Paul Helfenstein, who did a great job once again targeting these images even as we were flying by so quickly. Some of the images were even off a bit from where he targeted, and they were even better.

Way to go, Paul! Awesomeness.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
peter59
post Nov 3 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 299

All pictures from Enceladus flyby are already available.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...ages-list1.html
laugh.gif

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 3 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 172

smile.gif A quick mosaic from the encounter to help you position the hi-res pics. Enjoy !
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 4 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #24

Bloggette par Excellence

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Thanks for the mosaic, Vikingmars, that's helpful.

I've been spending the morning trying to figure out where all the skeet shoot footprints fell, because they didn't quite match the preview map. Here's what I came up with. Yellow footprints are rev 91 (Oct 31); green footprints are rev 80 (August). Red dots are the plume sources. Numbers refer to the image source -- PIA images have been released on Photojournal, the N00 and W00 numbers are available as raws. There's the makings of a pretty fine high-res mosaic covering parts of Baghdad, Cairo, and Alexandria sulci, but I don't think I have the patience to attempt to assemble it.

--Emily

EDIT: Deleted attachment due to error in labels; see post below for corrected map.

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Nov 4 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 437

Emily, for the sake of completeness, could the locations of PIA06252 and PIA06251 be added to your composite?

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 4 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #26

Bloggette par Excellence

They could, if I had a clue where they fell. The WAC image in that pair (PIA06251) has a resolution of 37 meters per pixel, so its footprint should be similar in size to Skeet Shoot #9 from Rev 91. However, it was from much earlier in the season, when much more of the south pole was sunlit -- it's totally possible that it could fall in a dark area. Does anybody have any better information on where that fell? It should be in the metadata on the PDS but I don't have time at the moment to track it down.

--Emily

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 4 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 23

The dark blue outlines represent the location of the Rev11 hires shots. The outer dark blue outline is PIA06251 and the inner dark blue outline is PIA06252. BTW, Emily, the sulci labels are not quite right. The fracture labeled "Damascus" is unnamed, "Baghdad" is Damascus, "Cairo" is Baghdad, "Alexandria" is Cairo, and Alexandria is in the shot.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Anne Verbiscer
post Nov 4 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 700

The actual Rev91 Skeet Shoot footprints are now posted on the CICLOPS site:

http://ciclops.org/view/5335/Enceladus_Rev_91_Flyby

And I echo volcanopele's congratulations to Paul Helfenstein for "pulling" off another spectacular Skeet Shoot!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 4 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #29

Bloggette par Excellence

Thanks very much for that, Jason, and woops on the sulci labels -- I'll fix in an hour or two, have to go interview someone for Phoenix now. --Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 5 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #30

Bloggette par Excellence

Thanks again to Jason for pointing me to the location of that Rev 11 high-res shot -- I'd never have figured it out without help. The different lighting geometry made it especially difficult to match features. Still, I think things match up pretty well, except in the lower right corner of the image (on the map below -- you have to rotate PIA06251 180 degrees to get it in approximately the right orientation), which doesn't match at all. Weird.

--Emily

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 06:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.