IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

37 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Post Solar Conjunction/Santorini Study Drive, The second leg in our Journey to Endeavor Crater
Ipparchus
post Mar 6 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #406

Group: Members
Member No.: 4055

Paolo, I` m not sure I understood the route you said Opportunity is going to use to arrive to Endeavour crater. Is it going to be like one of the routes I draw? Which (hypothetical) route resembles more the planned one? Are we really 2-3 km away from "parking lot" terrain? Are we going to pass near the "mini-Endurance" crater (nearly in the middle of the route)? Explain me, please. Thank you. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
"It`s one small step for a man. A giant leap for all mankind!" Armstrong, Apollo 11, 1969.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Geert
post Mar 6 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #407

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (Juramike @ Mar 6 2009, 10:43 AM) *
Different wind local? or the first sign of the "confusion" zone that can be seen at the southern end of the HiRise crop?

Agree with you, I don't like the look of it also. There does seem to be a whole line of confused dunes more or less leading from the present position towards the center of Porcupine. To the north and south of this line is better terrain with also more bedrock. Bit weird why there are confused dunes in one line, with bedrock patches on both sides but not inside this area.

Attached Image

Furthermore, she should have passed a small crater, which is still quite close to the east of the sol 1816 position, don't know whether it shows up on any of the images?

Regards,

Geert.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Mar 6 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #408

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Mar 6 2009, 12:17 AM) *
Paolo, I` m not sure I understood the route you said Opportunity is going to use to arrive to Endeavour crater. Is it going to be like one of the routes I draw? Which (hypothetical) route resembles more the planned one? Are we really 2-3 km away from "parking lot" terrain? Are we going to pass near the "mini-Endurance" crater (nearly in the middle of the route)? Explain me, please. Thank you. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

The route is similar to the rightmost one you posted. In 2-3 Km we should be clearing an area that has a large concentration of "purgatoids" (=purgatory like ripples). Then we should be able to start heading east. The "parking lot" terrain is much, much further out.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 6 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #409

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Geert @ Mar 6 2009, 04:38 AM) *
Bit weird why there are confused dunes in one line, with bedrock patches on both sides but not inside this area.

I'm wondering if the bedrock patches (and associated higher dunes at the margins) affect the local winds.

Another possibility is that the SW-NE orientation places it parallel to some of the repeating patterns (organe arrows indicated banding zones) seen to the E of Porcupine. Possibly from a more recent wind regime?
Attached Image

-Mike

[EDIT: Actually, looking at this from way back, I'm wondering if the some of the current bedrock pattern is part of this overall pattern as well. Did winds along a NW-SE vector cause some sort of rotor effect and scrub/deposit sand in a series of SW-NE oriented bands?]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 6 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #410

Member No.: 253

> I'm wondering if the bedrock patches (and associated higher dunes at the margins) affect the local winds. ...

Here's my take. If you have a look to the area east of Porcupine in Google Earth with e.g 2x vertical exaggeration you'll see it's in a hollow and that might disturb the N-S local winds.
Attached Image

In another topic, here's a quick mosaic of some latest navcams from sol 1818. The crater to the left (SE) is a tiny dot on the map here.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 6 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #411

Member No.: 98

Opportunity sol 1818; anaglyph rectilinear projection of Navcam images.

Don't know what the crater is called yet.

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Mar 7 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #412

Member No.: 529

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Mar 6 2009, 08:10 AM) *
> I'm wondering if the bedrock patches (and associated higher dunes at the margins) affect the local winds. ...

Here's my take. If you have a look to the area east of Porcupine in Google Earth with e.g 2x vertical exaggeration you'll see it's in a hollow and that might disturb the N-S local winds.

We sometime seem to forget that this is a three dimensional surface that we are driving over. There is bound to be local effects due to elevation. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Mar 7 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #413

Member No.: 678

Hi all! smile.gif

A long, loooooooooong time without posting anything. I put the end of a period where I did not produce any picture. I don't know why. Less motivation? The end of Phoenix? I don't know.

So, I'm back, with 3 panoramic picture of Oppy on the road.

Sol 1816

Sol 1817

NOTE : UPDATED
Sol 1818

Happy to be back wink.gif

PS : I follow this forum during my "non-work" period, and you've always doing great stuffs (tesheiner, MHoward, Stu, James Canvin, and I certainly miss other). smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 7 2009, 01:12 PM
Post #414

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Welcome back, Ant! Missed your contributions. Hopefully you'll be showing us some "Endeavour, Ho!" images soon... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Mar 7 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #415

Member No.: 16

Thanks Ant - welcome back smile.gif

I've been waiting for the rest of the Ranger Crater pan. However I've just checked the PDT and it looks like the second tier has already been deleted from the rover without being downlinked. So we are left with a long thin 19x1 image.

Click image

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Mar 7 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #416

Member No.: 678

A big thanks for your back welcoming (can I said that? huh.gif ). This gives me more energy to continue wink.gif
(and I have a " big event" for this month wheel.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 8 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #417

QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 6 2009, 05:47 PM) *
Don't know what the crater is called yet.

It has been named Resolution.

> 01821::p2421::19::96::96::0::0::4::196::pancam_resolution_crater_L257R267

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Mar 8 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #418

Member No.: 16

Well that was a little unexpected. North-West?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...93P0675R0M1.JPG

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Mar 8 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #419

Member No.: 721

Maybe they're testing SE drivability but in reverse. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 8 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #420

Strange move.
I saw the driving plan for today followed by a pancam mosaic of "Resolution Crater" so I thought the intention was to do a little bump towards that little crater to better image it during sol 1821. Now I really don't know which feature is Resolution.

Let's wait for tomorrow.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 12:42 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.