IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Webcam vs. The Particle Accelerator, Ever wanted to know what it looks like to be in the beam?
ilbasso
post Dec 29 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Interesting video - from the receiving end - of a particle accelerator shooting a beam of protons into a webcam. You can even hear some of the hits on the webcam's microphone.

Webcam vs. Particle Accelerator

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 29 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

This video should be required viewing for those who keep seeing @lien$ and UF0s in spacecraft images. Nice find, ilbasso.

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 29 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Dec 29 2008, 10:08 AM) *
Interesting video - from the receiving end - of a particle accelerator shooting a beam of protons into a webcam.

I was interested in how many of the particles hit the CCD at extreme angles. I guess that's from protons deflecting off atomic nuclei within the CCD or adjacent parts. A reliving of Ernest Rutherford's discovery of the atomic nucleus?
Attached Image

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/kaniol/f...ucleus_disc.htm

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 29 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

That's pretty cool - and educational. Sort of a space exploration version of "Will It Blend?"

+Quote Post
Paolo Amoroso
post Dec 29 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1633

Concerning Emily's post on the effects of cosmic ray hits on space cameras related to this video, I wonder whether it's at least possible to extract any science from those generally unwanted effects. Can the number, density or shape of hits tell something useful about local fields and particles?

Paolo Amoroso

--------------------
Avventure Planetarie - Blog sulla comunicazione e divulgazione scientifica

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Dec 31 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 103

Now I know I've made it to the big leagues when Emily thanks me in her blog!! Here's hoping we all stay out of proton beams in the new year!
-- Jonathan

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:42 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.