Reply to this topicStart new topic
The West Valley Route
mhoward
post Apr 1 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #151

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

"Kit Carson" - Pancam L257 false color, Spirit sol 1864

(I know the Pancam doesn't match up perfectly with the Navcam background; this is just a quick MMB screen grab)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 1 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #152

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

From the latest Planetary Society update:
Last weekend, Spirit spent some time “looking off to the northwest for possible contingency locations,” said Arvidson, “just in case we can't continue in West Valley or can't get to the south.” ... If by chance Spirit cannot make it through West Valley, what then? “We'll bop back out and look at alternate exploration sites,” Arvidson said. “There may be more silica ridges to the northwest.”

I had wondered about that sequence of pancam images looking to the NW, for example:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...LTP2355L2M1.JPG

On another topic, I love this little hill off to the west:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...LTP2561L5M1.JPG
I'm sure the more geologically-minded can correct me, but perhaps the odd rocks at the very peak are remnants of a harder material that originally capped the hill von Braun-style, and has almost completely eroded away now?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 2 2009, 06:14 AM
Post #153

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 2 2009, 01:49 AM) *
On another topic, I love this little hill off to the west:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...LTP2561L5M1.JPG

"Pioneer Mound", it's named.

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 3 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 682

This is the big rock avoidance manoeuvre (see Paolo post) which also put us on much firm soil as opposed to the "sandy" area closer to HP.
This assume that we're going to rotate ~90° around the RF: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/...OZP0703L0M1.JPG and then strait for a few meters.
Back seat driver guess...
Edited: I'm in a Ustrax's mood so, here is my real guess wink.gif
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 3 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #155

132x82 degree anaglyph cylindrical projection, Spirit sol 1866, looking due south.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Apr 3 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #156

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

[quote name='climber' post='138729' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:24 PM']

Back seat driver guess...
Edited: I'm in a Ustrax's mood so, here is my real guess wink.gif
That's a pretty good guess! As a hint, unless we really have to, we try to have drive segments that are as straight as possible. The reason is that whenever you have a turn, not only you need to make sure you turn the correct amount, but also that the rover is in the correct position to turn. We have means to check these things of course, but they are expensive, they require the use of Visual Odometry which runs pretty slow.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 3 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #157

Paolo, I always wondered, is it difficult to keep her driving straight on this kind of terrain, especially minus one working wheel? Does she tend to veer off? I mean obviously the last few drives looked very good, but now it looks like we might be getting back to some seriously challenging terrain again.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Apr 4 2009, 12:01 AM
Post #158

Member No.: 3511

Would Spirit be able to peek over and image much of Tartarus and tracks, or what's left of them?

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Apr 4 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #159

QUOTE (mhoward @ Apr 3 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Paolo, I always wondered, is it difficult to keep her driving straight on this kind of terrain, especially minus one working wheel? Does she tend to veer off? I mean obviously the last few drives looked very good, but now it looks like we might be getting back to some seriously challenging terrain again.

It is not really difficult, now that we have a sequence already built that keeps the rover on track. The RF wheel makes the rover drift to the right. The exact amount of the drift depends on the terrain we are driving. There an instrument on board the rover, called IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) that keeps track of the rover attitude (roll, pitch and heading). While the rover moves the IMU measures the change in heading. After a step the rover compares its own heading vs the desired direction and applies a heading correction for the next step. This driving technique works even without VO and while the sequence is not very easy to understand, it works quite fast for Martian standards, theoretically about 80m/h.

From time to time we adjust the heading correction values depending on the terrain, but pretty much the sequence stays the same.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Apr 4 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #160

QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Apr 3 2009, 04:01 PM) *
Would Spirit be able to peek over and image much of Tartarus and tracks, or what's left of them?

I'm not so sure *I* would like to see Tartarus again smile.gif !!

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 4 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #161

Thanks, Paolo; that makes sense. With respect to Tartarus, I think it's above Spirit's eye level now, but I could be wrong. Looking forward with some trepidation to see what happens in West Valley...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 4 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 152

Long-baseline stereo view looking at Pioneer Mound and the plains beyond, sols 1859 and 1861:
Attached Image

As usual, movement is not exactly orthogonal to the line of sight, so there are distortions that are difficult to correct. Eyestrain/headaches may result! blink.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 4 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 682

May be this illustrate Paolo explanations:
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Apr 4 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 678

The view of Pioneer Mound on Sol 1865, in normal and stereo smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 5 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #165

It was hard not to post this in the route map thread, but it looks like Spirit's sol 1868 went very well! I'm happy, because considering it was a bit uphill, plus it seems like just the other day she was wallowing in sand - well, I wasn't expecting this one to go nearly so well. Here's a little celebratory screen grab based on the tracking data - I'm not sure how exact this is yet, the Navcams will help.

BTW, love the color anaglyph, Ant. smile.gif

P.S. I'm raising a glass to the MER team right now. Nice drive!

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.