Reply to this topicStart new topic
Getting Unstuck in West Valley
fredk
post May 12 2009, 02:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

We may have the same scenery for quite a while. From the latest release:
The rover team... has suspended driving Spirit temporarily while studying the ground around the rover and planning simulation tests of driving options with a test rover... "Spirit is in a very difficult situation," JPL's John Callas... said Monday. "We are proceeding methodically and cautiously. It may be weeks before we try moving Spirit again."

In the past week, the digging-in of Spirit's wheels has raised concerns that the rover's belly pan could now be low enough to contact rocks underneath the chassis, which would make getting out of the situation more difficult.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alan
post May 12 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 110

I've been seeing this listed on the tracking site recently

01904 p2568.22 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_light_disturbed_soil_L6R1
01904 p2569.22 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_undisturbed_soil_L6R1
01904 p2570.22 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_dark_disturbed_soil_L6R1

Watching for signs of wind gusts?

By the way with the new found energy and the apparent decrease in activity why isn't the backlog of images being downloaded?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 12 2009, 03:06 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (alan @ May 11 2009, 07:51 PM) *
I've been seeing this listed on the tracking site recently

01904 p2568.22 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_light_disturbed_soil_L6R1
01904 p2569.22 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_undisturbed_soil_L6R1
01904 p2570.22 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_dark_disturbed_soil_L6R1

Watching for signs of wind gusts?

No. We are trying to gather mechanical properties of the soil under the wheels. Actually where the wheels are buried. We have observe from the RHAZ that although the wheels have churned up the soil pretty badly, the left side soil is bright in color while the RR wheel has churned up dark material. We believe the dark toned material could provide more traction than the light tone material. We will try to replicate the soil properties in the testbed, evaluate which strategies might work better and go from there. The situation is compound by the issue of high-centering. We are not sure we are high centered, but if we are not, we are cose to it. There is a single frame NAVCAM taken on sol 1870 which shows the terrain the rover is currently sitting. By comparing that NAVCAM frame with the NAVCAMS taken from the current location we are trying to figure out exactly where the rover is and determine if we are high-centered. The last fly in the ointment is that during the last executed drive (sol 1899) the LM wheel stalled. We do not have a cause yet, could be a rock stuck in the wheel well, could be bedrock underneath the wheel, could be an actuator problem.

This is a pretty big mess: embedding event + high-centered vehicle + stalled wheel. Since I have been asked to lead this investigation, you know why I won't be posting much during the next few weeks.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 12 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Oh, boy. sad.gif Thanks for the update, and good luck, Paolo. We're rooting for you!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
alan
post May 12 2009, 05:45 AM
Post #5

My guess for the location of the wheels.
Attached Image

Also identified are the original location of the rock that was flipped after being dragged and one that appears to have gone missing during all the churning.

ETA:
the pancam site has a color image of this location,
http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_..._L257_pos_5.jpg
(about a third of the way up and a third of the way to the right from the lower left corner)

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post May 12 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #6

Guests

Looks like some people think we may be here for the rest of the mission.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 12 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (alan @ May 11 2009, 10:45 PM) *
My guess for the location of the wheels.

Good guess!

ETA:
the pancam site has a color image of this location,
(about a third of the way up and a third of the way to the right from the lower left corner)

I believe this PANCAM is at a higher elevation than our current location.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 12 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 11 2009, 11:20 PM) *
Looks like some people think we may be here for the rest of the mission.

Hmm... maybe it is a language barrier, but I do not understand the point of your remark.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 12 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #9

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

He's being the worst kind of pessimist...a pessimist who also thinks everyone else is pessimistic.

+Quote Post
alan
post May 12 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 12 2009, 04:47 AM) *
I believe this PANCAM is at a higher elevation than our current location.

Paolo

???

Do you mean it was taken from a higher position (its from the edge of Homeplate) or that the location is wrong?

Perhaps my explanation of the specific location in the image wasn't clear. I've circled what I meant in this image.

Attached Image

I can clearly see the two flat rocks which were run over during the drive on sol 1871(arrowed)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 12 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 197

Here's a wild thought that would be more a later move of desperation. I'm not certain what kind of mass ratios we are dealing with but would it make sense to extend the arm and IDD to slightly shift the CG, and add to the traction/load on a preferred wheel or wheels?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 12 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3908

Seeing how the rovers are so vulnerable to getting stuck in soft ground, I wonder if that possibility had been taken into account when designing the rover wheels. With hindsight, it might have been better to equip the rovers with large balloon-type wheels, allowing them to "float", so to speak, over the sand. Maybe it would have caused other problems (storage space for big wheels, less traction?).
I can't help thinking about MSL, which seems to be equipped with somewhat similar wheels, although wider to account for the higher mass. I hope the experience gained with the MERs will be put to good use on MSL. We know there are sand traps on Mars. Lets hope MSL doesn't suffer the same fate as the MERs, getting stuck all over the place. (OK, the MERs aren't getting stuck all over the place, but you see what I mean.)

+Quote Post
MahFL
post May 12 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #13

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

If anyone on the planet Earth can get us out, it is Paolo !

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif huh.gif

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post May 12 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3299

I still believe we can rescue Spirit. The things that must be studied carefully are about the relieve of the soil around the Spirit. We must take the advantage of the help of gravity direction to be unstuck. According to Alan's picture, I am not able to see precisely about the inclination of the surface. As the rule of thumb, the lower land, has softer soil than the higher ones. The picture has show that the left side, close to the slope, the surface is very smooth but I doubt it would be a firm soil.

Is Spirit capable to turn around by 90 degree to change the scape route toward left side (close to the slope) toward the Braun hill?

Maybe, lower soil, has another kind of layer, a firmer soil which might help to improve the traction?

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 12 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #15

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Is this roughly the right position?

http://cumbriansky.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/stuck.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post

72 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.