Group: Members
Member No.: 133

After finding the Apollo Picture Archive site at:

http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html

I decided to create some panoramas from them. This is the first one I did:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/apollo/Apollo...nt%20Hadley.jpg

More to come ofcourse smile.gif

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 16 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #2

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Stunning! smile.gif

I'll look forward to more of those. Good work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 16 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I think a good project for NASA would be to get out all the Apollo from lunar approach, orbit, and the surface (and hopefully the Earth shots as well) negatives and produce ultra-high quality scans (on the quality level Michael light used, minus the retouching). Then put the archive on the internet. With full quality "raw" data to work with, many could produce stunning result like Light was when he got special access. I think the improved imagery (the overcopied 60s and early 70s low contrast versions don't cut it anymore) may spark more interest in returning. The site you got your imagery from which you made your excellent mosaic has good quality imagery but is woefully incomplete, except perhaps for Apollo 11 surface imagery .

--------------------

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jan 16 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #4

Just a quickie before I go to bed:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/apollo/Apollo...racy%20Rock.jpg

What do you guys think ? Should I remove those cross hairs from the images or not ? It's not very difficult to remove them with the clone brush, just a lot of work. For large panoramas it's probably several hours work, so I'm wondering if the better looks will outweigh the time I need to spend on it.

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Remove them - and you're part of the Conspiracy wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 16 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 124

I have also dabbled a wee bit, but I have nowhere near the mad skills you all possess -
I like to take the pans and make them into QTVR; so that's my particular shtick, I guess.

Here is where I post my amateur efforts -

http://homepage.mac.com/lyford/FileSharing2.html

Right now there is only an Apollo 12 pan there, used to have some of the MER pans as well as QTVR, but took them down to save space a week before Apple upped everyone to 250 megs. I will load the others back up there soon.

You need QuickTime to view - sorry Linux users sad.gif - - but I really like how zooming and panning gives a sense of "being there."

Enjoy? unsure.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jan 19 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #7

A work in progress of a nice but hard to make panorama:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/apollo/Apollo...Station_wip.jpg

I'll probably redo some control points - the auto pano tool did - by hand, have the panotools take care of the brightness and color differences and finally patch up some last alignment errors by hand in Photoshop. Looks like I have my work cut out for the weekend smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Jan 19 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jan 16 2005, 08:54 PM)
I think a good project for NASA would be to get out all the Apollo from lunar approach, orbit, and the surface (and hopefully the Earth shots as well) negatives and produce ultra-high quality scans (on the quality level Michael light used, minus the retouching).

I just got a copy of Light's "Full Moon" book, which is impressive but suffers a serious image quality flaw that I haven't seen mentioned. In the B/W images, but not the color images, the darkness of the shadow or sky areas "bleeds" into the nearby lighter areas. The moon's limb looks fuzzy even on the cover image.

This is a flaw that results from the spreading of light from the bright areas in the original negatives (i.e. the dark areas in the positive prints) when they are copied. I've seen this flaw in other versions of the Apollo images, dating back to the 1970s when I worked on some of these images as a summer student. The flaw can't be present in the original negatives themselves, and shows that either Light did not have access to the original negatives, but to poorly-made copies, or that the scanning process he used replicated the light-spreading flaw that had shown up in earlier analog copying of the original negatives.

So if NASA goes back and makes new digital "Masters", I hope they do so from the original negatives and not from copies that already have this flaw.

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jan 19 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (john_s @ Jan 19 2005, 09:11 PM)
The flaw can't be present in the original negatives themselves, and shows that either Light did not have access to the original negatives, but to poorly-made copies, or that the scanning process he used replicated the light-spreading flaw that had shown up in earlier analog copying of the original negatives.

In his book Michael Light claims he scanned the master negatives. Just read the page called "A note on the photographs" in the back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 19 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

He didnt get to scan the masters - he got to scan the first-generation copies.

The masters are in frozen storage somewhere smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 19 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 19 2005, 01:23 PM)
He didnt get to scan the masters - he got to scan the first-generation copies.

The masters are in frozen storage somewhere smile.gif

Doug

Do you mean here? wink.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Pando
post Jan 20 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #12

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Oh great. Now I have the Indy soundtrack buzzing in my head again... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 20 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #13

I think scanning technology has hit the point where it would be worth getting them out of storage, making the best digital scans we possibly can, and then putting them back in storage. If we are never going to get them out, why are we preserving them? And this seems a worthwhile reason, as it would cut down on the need to get them out again .

--------------------

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jul 21 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #14

Too long ago I toyed with Apollo panoramas. Today was so hot that I decided to spend the entire afternoon behind the PC with the air conditioner running. This is Shorty crater, the place where they discovered the orange soil during Apollo 17:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/apollo/Apollo...0quarterres.jpg (570KB)
http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/apollo/Apollo...r%20halfres.jpg (2 MB)
http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/apollo/Apollo...ty%20Crater.jpg (26 MB)

(Note to moderator: Perhaps move this thread to " SMART-1 + Lunar Exploration" ?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 21 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #15

Great!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.