Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Pre-launch, launch and main cruise, Pluto and the Kuiper belt
ugordan
post Sep 12 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #1126

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Sep 12 2008, 05:12 PM) *
So now the simulator is laced up with diagnostic tools to catch the next one in the act so we can, hopefully, get to root cause.

Of course, as things often go, adding debugging information to an existing real-time system can change timing issues and even completely eliminate further occurences of a fault. Debugging is a tricky business. I understand how frustrating this must be for your team, I can only wish you happy hunting!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 14 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #1127

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 12 2008, 07:16 AM) *
Of course, as things often go, adding debugging information to an existing real-time system can change timing issues and even completely eliminate further occurences of a fault.

We used to call that a "Heisenbug." They're the worst.

--Greg

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Sep 15 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #1128

Member No.: 628

I suppose this is egregiously off topic and even slightly political, but isn't it wonderful to call a bug a "bug" instead of an "issue"?

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 15 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #1129

Member No.: 173

The NH mission ops team is updating the spacecraft's onboard fault protection/correction Autonomy software today/tomorrow with about 40 improvements. This is step two of the flight software redux. Last week was C&DH. After Autonomy this week, will be Guidance & Control software (G&C) next week to complete the comprehensive set of bug fixes and capability upgrades we've been working on for 18 months.

-Alan

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 15 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #1130

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Uh oh, I got a bad feeling about this... innocently updating systems, upgrading capabilities... this is how Skynet started out... ohmy.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 15 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #1131

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 15 2008, 12:41 PM) *
Uh oh, I got a bad feeling about this... innocently updating systems, upgrading capabilities... this is how Skynet started out... ohmy.gif tongue.gif

Skynet--

Well, we don't *innocently* do anything on NH, and all three of these flight software packages have previously been updated in flight.

Of course, Murphy Always Lurks, which of course as an acronym spells the first three letters in MALfunction so we test the hell out of this stuff on the spacecraft ground simulator.

-Alan

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Sep 15 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #1132

Member No.: 4334

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 15 2008, 11:41 AM) *

Well, at least NH is flying away from us at unprecedented speeds, so I doubt it'll be starting any apocalyptic wars...

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Sep 16 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #1133

Member No.: 1563

You never know...I've never trusted the things! ph34r.gif
Actually to get myself a bit less computer phobic i've been thinking of writing a fortran program to recreate the new horizons mission, basically calculating the trajectory and fuel requirments for earth to jupiter to pluto and beyond. Does anyone have any idea where I could go for some resources, or any suggestions on where to start?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 16 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #1134

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Start with Orbiter ( www.orbitersim.com ) and its addons ( www.orbithangar.com ) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 16 2008, 02:27 PM
Post #1135

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (marsbug @ Sep 16 2008, 06:29 AM) *
You never know...I've never trusted the things! ph34r.gif
Actually to get myself a bit less computer phobic i've been thinking of writing a fortran program to recreate the new horizons mission, basically calculating the trajectory and fuel requirments for earth to jupiter to pluto and beyond. Does anyone have any idea where I could go for some resources, or any suggestions on where to start?

You want to write one from scratch, or just use one that already exists?

If you're going to write it yourself, I'd really suggest you use something a bit more modern than Fortran, though. Java, if you're a Linux guy, or C#, if you have Windows might be nice. Or try Python (on either platform) for something even gentler.

--Greg

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 16 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #1136

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Sep 16 2008, 07:27 AM) *
I'd really suggest you use something a bit more modern than Fortran, though.

Agreed. All those stacks of cards can be difficult to handle.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Sep 17 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #1137

Member No.: 1563

I was planning on using Fortran, mainly because its the only language i have any experience with and I already have a compiler, and starting from scratch. I haven't made any solid plans yet though. I'm still going through my old uni notes on things like transfer orbits. Does anyone know where I might look for some details on how launch windows for gravitational assists are calculated? My notes only skim over it briefly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
peter59
post Oct 15 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #1138

Member No.: 299

1,000 days and counting.
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/overview/piPerspective.php
Alan Stern has right, it’s hard to believe.

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Guest_John Flushing_*
post Oct 19 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #1139

Guests

Upon reading the New Horizons Twitter page, I found a message that said, "Did you know? N.H. is carrying 9 items of memorabilia to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt. After flying 1000 days, the list will be released soon!"

Despite extensive internet searching I cannot find the list. Does anybody know (off the top of their head) if and when it will be released to the public?

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Oct 19 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #1140

QUOTE (John Flushing @ Oct 19 2008, 02:49 PM) *
Upon reading the New Horizons Twitter page, I found a message that said, "Did you know? N.H. is carrying 9 items of memorabilia to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt. After flying 1000 days, the list will be released soon!"

Despite extensive internet searching I cannot find the list. Does anybody know (off the top of their head) if and when it will be released to the public?

Tuesday or so. Perhaps you want to start guessing what we sent....

+Quote Post

109 Pages V  « < 74 75 76 77 78 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.