Closed TopicStart new topic
On to Santa Maria!
nprev
post Nov 18 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #181

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yeah, thought so, and sorry for even floating the concept. I must be twitchy today or something.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Nov 18 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #182

Group: Members
Member No.: 2873

I wasn't sure if this should go here, or in the route map thread, so please move if necessary.

Here's a CTX DEM (20 m/px) of Oppy's driving area, made using the fantastic USGS scripts (thanks!) and the old SocetSet pulling-out-your-hair method. Actually, CTX DEMs seem (famous last words) to be working pretty well...there must be something wrong. smile.gif

First up, a general elevation colour map with CTX image P01_001612_1780_XI_02S005 underneath. The red dot is Oppy on sol 2420, taken from Tesheiner's route map (thanks!).
Attached Image

Next, a close-up view of Oppy and the rim of Endeavour, this time with a different colour stretch to highlight the elevation change on the next part of the route.
Attached Image

I'm more than happy to share this if anybody thinks they can do something with it.

Pete

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 18 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #183

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Could you pull out a height profile, from - say, Victoria to the edge of Endeavour including the rim? and/or from our current location to the rim at Cape York. That sort of thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 18 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 152

Thanks for this! Can you provide an elevation scale for these images as well?

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 18 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 615

Whenever I see images like this one, I can't help but think of images like this one....Endeavour Bound!!!
Attached Image

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Nov 19 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #186

Member No.: 503

Land Ho!

Wait a minute. Those islands are off the stern. You're sailing the wrong direction Astro0!

It's amazing though, how a change of color in those ripples completely changes what the brain thinks it's seeing.

David

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 19 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #187

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Nov 18 2010, 05:55 PM) *
Wait a minute. Those islands are off the stern. Yo'ure sailing the wrong direction Astro0!

Off the port side, actually wink.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 19 2010, 03:03 AM
Post #188

Member No.: 615

DFinfrock: You're sailing the wrong direction Astro0!

No, just a leisurely voyage tacking across the Meridiani 'sea' smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 19 2010, 03:27 AM
Post #189

It looks like the hazcam-less drive has taken place:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2424

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Nov 19 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #190

Member No.: 253

130m, according to the rover's mobility data.

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Nov 19 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #191

Member No.: 2873

As requested, but I'd avoid reading too much into the actual profiles and the spikes and troughs - there's a fair bit of noise in this DEM as the smooth terrain is great for driving but bad for pixel matching! It does however still give a nice impression of the overall topography.

Attached Image

Pete

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 19 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #192

Member No.: 682

The mean mileage per sol is consistantly increasing since late August but the more the sols the more the "need" to drive to keep it this way (at least 250m per week at the moment). So, I guess we're "safe" this week rolleyes.gif
Not a race but giving the feeling that we follow SS statement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 19 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #193

Member No.: 16

You can see (I think) in the red profile the same thing I had convinced myself from the MOLA data: That we are currently on a flattish section with a drop-off to Santa Maria a few hundred meters ahead. I think this is why we can't see Santa Maria yet.

I made a prediction to Stu by PM earlier this week regarding this: That I expected Santa Maria to pop into view quite suddenly and dramatically ~400m ahead, since then we have covered around half that distance. So keep your eyes pealed over the next few drives, I'm anticipating a HOAV moment very soon. smile.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 20 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #194

I've made some measurements to try to decide whether the double feature we've been seeing is Santa Maria or not. I compared the separations and positions (relative to the distant east rim of Endeavour) of both of the light "bumps" on sols 2409 and 2420. These measurements are entirely relative, ie I didn't use any absolute heading information. The only assumption is for the comparison of bump positions between 2409 and 2420: I assumed that the distant east rim of Endeavour was essentially infinitely far away, so there was no parallax between 2409 and 2420 of that east rim. That parallax should be extremely small. The left-right bump separation measurements are independent of this assumption.

Here are the angles measured from the pancams:
Attached Image

And here are the corresponding angles measured from Tesheiner's route map:
Attached Image

The corresponding angles are consistent with each other, if the two bumps are high points on the north and south rim of Santa Maria. The agreement of the four angles means that both the size and distance agree with Santa Maria. So I'm ready to declare that the two light bumps are Santa Maria.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Nov 21 2010, 04:24 AM
Post #195

Guests

I like your slide show presentation Fred K. I think we should be there by Christmas and what a gift to us all to see Santa Maria by then.
Maybe Santa Clause will stop by and give the Rover a boost of Energy for the coming season.

I can remember the day she landed in Eagle Crater way back then or ages ago. I am amazed what this little golf cart rover has done.

May The Force Be With Her.

I do have a couple Question. Is the top of Santa Maria lower in elevation then the bottom of Victoria Crater and would the bedrock within Santa Maria
be older then anything we saw at Victoria? Is there any possibility that we might go into Santa Maria or just drive around and keep going???

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:49 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.