Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chandrayaan-II, All Chandrayaan-II related articles
Phil Stooke
post Feb 8 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #106

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Hi, Ohsin. I can't see the images in this link - is it possible to post them directly here?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ohsin
post Feb 8 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 8664

Attaching them as is.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 9 2021, 01:35 AM
Post #108

Thank you! That is very useful. It enables this comparison with the post-impact LRO image from this site:

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/1131

Attached Image

This object is the one a bit south of the impact site identified in that LROC blog post, the object which left a visible trail on the surface as it rolled away from the crash. The new image is notable for its superb resolution and sharpness, and it seems to resolve the track as a string of pits as if the object was bouncing (or had a very irregular shape as it rolled).

How I would love to see pictures like this of every landing and impact site on the Moon!

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Shan
post Feb 9 2021, 02:41 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 8895

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 9 2021, 07:05 AM) *
Thank you! That is very useful. It enables this comparison with the post-impact LRO image from this site:

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/1131

Attached Image

This object is the one a bit south of the impact site identified in that LROC blog post, the object which left a visible trail on the surface as it rolled away from the crash. The new image is notable for its superb resolution and sharpness, and it seems to resolve the track as a string of pits as if the object was bouncing (or had a very irregular shape as it rolled).

How I would love to see pictures like this of every landing and impact site on the Moon!

Phil

Phil, that's one of the engines which got separated at the first contact point, you can see the exhaust plume much more visible in this one.. (Oct 2019 image) whereas the one posted on LRO is Nov 2019 image where the plume is not that much visible due to lighting conditions..

Not sure what exactly happened during last few minutes of Vikram's landing, my view is the central engine would have got separated..only if the Vikram lander's telemetry is intact it can answer it for itself..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Mar 18 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 6083

Has anyone had any success with Chandrayaan-2's orthographic/DTM combination, in terms of 3D imagery?

I've produced 3D models in the past with other missions with QGIS, but the 3D plugin just doesn't want to play. I've also had a go with Blender, but I'm not experienced with it so may not be doing it right!

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Mar 20 2021, 10:30 AM
Post #111

Managed to answer my own question, partially at least.

For reasons best known to itself the DTM file was ridiculously exaggerating the vertical extent of the model. I found that my changing the vertical exaggeration in the Qgis2threejs plugin to somewhere around 0.00004 gave sensible results. There is a 'nodata' value of -32768, and I wonder if it's reading that in?

The resulting model looks a little 'lumpy', at least in this representation of part of Hadley Rille, and I'm not sure if that's a feature of the DTM itself or the processing its had to go through to get it presentable.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Shan
post Mar 22 2021, 03:57 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 8895

QUOTE (threadworm @ Mar 20 2021, 04:00 PM) *
Managed to answer my own question, partially at least.

For reasons best known to itself the DTM file was ridiculously exaggerating the vertical extent of the model. I found that my changing the vertical exaggeration in the Qgis2threejs plugin to somewhere around 0.00004 gave sensible results. There is a 'nodata' value of -32768, and I wonder if it's reading that in?

The resulting model looks a little 'lumpy', at least in this representation of part of Hadley Rille, and I'm not sure if that's a feature of the DTM itself or the processing its had to go through to get it presentable.

Attached Image

It seems they had some calibration issues with some instruments onboard..(OHRC was not calibrated first properly which gave blurry images but the images from Feb2020 were good).. I believe that's the case here also..Only ISRO can answer on that..

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Mar 23 2021, 05:00 PM
Post #113

I've been through all of the Orthographic/DTM combinations and produced a (very) rough guide as to what's covered in what they've released so far. I've also compiled a spreadsheet showing the latitude/longitude if anyone wants that. It doesn't hit many things of interest, though it does cover the Apollo 17 SIV-B impact site and also Luna 21.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Mar 30 2021, 07:34 PM
Post #114

Attached Image

Attached Image

Apollo 14's lunar module in the calibrated TCM images ch2_tmc_nca_20200207T0122596445_d_img_m65 and ch2_tmc_ncf_20200207T0122596445_d_img_m65. The astronaut trails westward towards the ALSEP are clear, and those heading out and back from Cone crater can just be made out.

+Quote Post
Ohsin
post Jul 17 2021, 06:21 AM
Post #115

Few more OHRC images have been released.

https://pradan.issdc.gov.in/pradan/

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Jul 28 2021, 09:47 PM
Post #116

Ranger 9's impact point, from file ch2_tmc_nrf_20200107T1218554551_d_img_d18.

Working my way (slowy) through the TMC images they've added, so far they are frustratingly close to, but just missing, Apollo sites (other than the Apollo 14 one I posted earlier).

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 29 2021, 12:32 AM
Post #117

Hi Threadworm. That image doesn't seem to match the pattern of craters around the Ranger 9 impact site. I have attached an LRO NAC image of the Ranger 9 crater (confirmed by comparing the Ranger 9 images taken just before impact). The two bright-rimmed craters and other bright dots in your image should be visible but are not. If you post a wider context image we may be able to see where your feature is.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
threadworm
post Jul 29 2021, 08:52 AM
Post #118

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 29 2021, 01:32 AM) *
Hi Threadworm. That image doesn't seem to match the pattern of craters around the Ranger 9 impact site. I have attached an LRO NAC image of the Ranger 9 crater (confirmed by comparing the Ranger 9 images taken just before impact). The two bright-rimmed craters and other bright dots in your image should be visible but are not. If you post a wider context image we may be able to see where your feature is.

Phil

Attached Image

Apologies. I got carried away - that should have read Ranger 8!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 29 2021, 05:44 PM
Post #119

That works! Here is a version with much of the stripe pattern removed. It would be nice to see this imaged by the high resolution camera.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ohsin
post Sep 3 2021, 06:32 PM
Post #120

In a virtual talk held today, Director of Space Applications Centre, ISRO showed an OHRC image of Apollo 11 landing site.

https://youtu.be/T8oV-Kx26no?t=3610

We were notified by u/Harshdeep_2021 on Reddit.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.