I guess some emails can't hurt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 5 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #122

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

I just read Emily's article on this: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003054/

I especially liked her idea of showing support by "liking" the Facebook page for the Imager. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dawn-Framing...=ts&sk=wall

No need to post anything there, I don't think--especially not things like "THE PEOPLE WANT THE REGIME TO POST PICS!" But I agree that if we want to argue that there's a large community following DAWN, the number of people who "like" the page ought to be bigger than 100.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 5 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 4270

Well, it's 103 last I checked. smile.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
bagelverse
post Jun 6 2011, 03:26 AM
Post #124

Member No.: 5509

And the consensus discussion and frustration is about the same as here. But maybe being more "public" or directly coupled to the team might help.
My comparison to earlier planetary projects did not include the fact that while over the last decade JPL projects had the track record of real time release, ESA ones appear to generally not (Mars Express, Venus Express). Even though Huygens was an ESA probe the DISR camera was run by a UAriz group.

On the Dawn the probe is from JPL but the framing camera is run from Germany, I think that same institute as Venus Express, but not the same for Mars Express.

Anyways, we are probably are experiencing our collective frustration as a result of protocol, inter-agency politics ( or whatever choice adjective you want to insert). From our side it does't seem fair, from their side its just business as usual. Some day it will all be illuminated in some article on Sky and Tele or Discover Magazine.

I will just keep my fingers crossed for the approach movie mentioned yesterday by the end of the week. I can understand how all the great image processing experts here at UMSF are chomping at the bit to get a crack at some from images from a new solar system body.

+Quote Post
bagelverse
post Jun 6 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 5509

Duh!!! I read Emily's planetary.org post (http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003054/) after I wrote the above.

I'll go back under my lurker rock.

+Quote Post
jsheff
post Jun 6 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 411

Maybe part of the problem is that, after MER and Cassini, we talked ourselves into believing that there was a paradigm shift in how images would be handled in the future. In fact, though, there has been no change in NASA's policy of how mission imagery is handled. It's up to the PI's. The real problem is that there seems to be no Steve Squires or Carolyn Porco on the Dawn team.

- John Sheff
Cambridge, MA

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 6 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (jsheff @ Jun 6 2011, 07:28 PM) *
The real problem is that there seems to be no Steve Squires or Carolyn Porco on the Dawn team.

Not everyone on the Cassini imaging team was willing to release raw images. That's all I'm going to say.

Let's not forget New Horizons as another positive example of sharing the Jupiter experience on the fly (with images even having some calibration steps applied to them!).

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Jun 7 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 1067

I don't know what the field views are for the Narrow Angle Camera, but if it's anything like Cassini (21') Dawn should now be able to make some stunning images of Vesta by now at a distance of 350.000 kilometers

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 7 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (CAP-Team @ Jun 7 2011, 10:13 PM) *
but if it's anything like Cassini (21')

It's not. Dawn carries more modest imagers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jun 7 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 1102

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jun 6 2011, 12:41 PM) *
Not everyone on the Cassini imaging team was willing to release raw images. That's all I'm going to say.

Yes, Cassini started with real conflict about "amateurs" posting mosaics before Cassini scientists. It seems to have taken both direct advocating of people's right to work with released images, and I'm sure some behind the scenes interventions (UMSF and amateurs have many friends among influential scientists—Stern, Squires and many others). I'm guessing the Dawn Spring Uprising is due in no small part to the eventual success of the effort with the Cassini team.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 8 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #131

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Just a note/reminder: Let's be very careful & respectful when discussing this issue. None of us--despite any influential acquaintances--has 100% understanding of all the dynamics at work here, since obviously we're not part of the organization.

It is proper for us to decry the lack of openness that is the end result of whatever's going on in hopes that our shared opposition to the policy will be heard & understood. It is improper to speculate about cause--or, much worse, assign blame--absent detailed knowledge as descibed with respect to the cause.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jun 8 2011, 01:54 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 3908

QUOTE (CAP-Team @ Jun 7 2011, 03:13 PM) *
I don't know what the field views are for the Narrow Angle Camera, but if it's anything like Cassini (21') Dawn should now be able to make some stunning images of Vesta by now at a distance of 350.000 kilometers

Dawn carries two identical cameras, described here. At a distance of 350 000 km, Vesta is still only about 17 pixels wide. Patience. Patience.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 8 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 7 2011, 04:05 PM) *
We now return to our regularly scheduled program. smile.gif

Dude, you're old!

--Greg :-)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 8 2011, 02:08 AM
Post #134

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Gee, thanks, Greg! tongue.gif Must point out that at 48 I'm still damn young for a robot!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 8 2011, 05:26 AM
Post #135

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 7 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Why doesn't UMF feature a proper set of rss feeds? This frustrates me. How hard can it be to simply activate the feeds up in here?

How hard? Not very. No one's mentioned such a thing in years and years.

Because you asked so very nicely - here's an RSS feed of the 10 threads most recently posted in
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...rssout&id=2

I also learned that the founder of this forum now works at JPL.

ph34r.gif

smile.gif

Marc was indeed a superb presenter - his talk is here at about 32 minutes : http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15208876

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 01:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.