Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Downloading TIFFs from NASA Photojournal, Simple question about file format
schaffman
post Dec 29 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5246

I want to download several hi-res TIffs from the NASA/JPL Photojournal site, but my browser wants to save them as a Quicktime movie. How do I simply save them as a Tiff file to open in Photoshop? Is this a problem with my browser (Exprorer 8) default settings or something intentionally setup on the website?

Thanks for any help!

Tom
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Dec 29 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1102

It sounds like you your file defaults for opening Tiff files captured by Quicktime. To fix this, find a Tiff file anywhere on your computer and right click on it. Go to Open with or select program. Pick photoshop or whatever and check the box to always use that program.

Other option: right click on nasa photo. Choose save. Once saved, you can open with any program

--------------------

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Dec 30 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Floyd @ Dec 29 2011, 03:22 PM) *
It sounds like you your file defaults for opening Tiff files captured by Quicktime. To fix this, find a Tiff file anywhere on your computer and right click on it. Go to Open with or select program. Pick photoshop or whatever and check the box to always use that program.

Other option: right click on nasa photo. Choose save. Once saved, you can open with any program

Thanks. The first part of your suggestion worked fine for tiff files already on my computer. However, when I right click on the NASA image from the website, no save option is present, only an option to save by buying Quicktime Pro software. huh.gif

Tom

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 30 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

That sounds like a local machine config problem to me. All released NASA data is in the public domain, so therefore it's unlikely to compel you to buy third-party software.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 30 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (schaffman @ Dec 30 2011, 02:18 AM) *
Thanks. The first part of your suggestion worked fine for tiff files already on my computer. However, when I right click on the NASA image from the website, no save option is present, only an option to save by buying Quicktime Pro software. huh.gif

Tom

Are you right clicking on the photo or right clicking on the *link* to the photo? The latter should allow you to save the tiff locally.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Dec 30 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

This is definitely a local issue on your machine. you may just be able to disable TIFF handling by changing the file type and MIME Settings for TIFF on the system as whole but a quicker method is probably to disable the Quicktime Plugin within your browser.

On IE8 go to the Tools Menu, Manage Add-Ons and disable the Quicktime plugin. You might need to restart IE8 for this to take effect.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 30 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 530

Apple software for Windows is pretty evil.

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Dec 31 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 30 2011, 11:53 AM) *
Are you right clicking on the photo or right clicking on the *link* to the photo? The latter should allow you to save the tiff locally.

Thanks, Emily. That worked! I just had to use "save target as" under right-click dropdown. I still had to change the config of the icon to open in Photoshop. For some reason, Photoshop doesn't recognize the tiff file from within even when I've selected only tiff files in the Photoshop open dialog box (i.e., I have to launch from the icon).

Tom

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Dec 31 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (helvick @ Dec 30 2011, 12:08 PM) *
This is definitely a local issue on your machine. you may just be able to disable TIFF handling by changing the file type and MIME Settings for TIFF on the system as whole but a quicker method is probably to disable the Quicktime Plugin within your browser.

On IE8 go to the Tools Menu, Manage Add-Ons and disable the Quicktime plugin. You might need to restart IE8 for this to take effect.

Thanks, helvick. I think the solution may be the former. When I disable the Quicktime plugin to download the tiff, I get: "webpage is requesting an Add-On that is disabled." I will tackle your other option as I get time to tinker a bit.

Tom

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Dec 31 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Dec 30 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Apple software for Windows is pretty evil.

I think you're right about that.

Tom

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:29 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.