Spring at Cape York, Sol 2947 (after Greeley Haven) - sol 3040
Phil Stooke
post May 13 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Time for a new topic, I think.

A bit of monkey business with the FHAZ from 2952 shows the nature of the latest drive.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 13 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #2

... and a map of recent activities. This is not geometrically precise (I'll leave that to Tim Parker), but it lets me organize information. Next step is to add some of the target names.

Phil

Attached Image

EDIT - map has been replaced with a corrected version

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 13 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

My approximation of where she is on sol 2951. I'm sure it's somewhat off.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 13 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Oops - was that a 2951 drive? I'll update my map later.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 13 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Yes, 2952 is tosol/today.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 14 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #6

I have now replaced the picture in my second post with a corrected version of the map.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post May 15 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 116

On sol 2949 Opportunity's Pancams imaged the target North Pole, which is the patch of dust to be investigated next. Attached is an L2R2 anaglyph of the most interesting part of that panorama. One of the L2 images suffered a dropout which I patched with a barely noticeable piece from the L5 image.

In 3D it is easy to see how this local topography created a wind trap for fine particulates.
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 15 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #8

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Really nice anaglyph, CR! smile.gif

In another view, having finallty escaped exile on Greeley Haven, it looks like Oppy is having a fine old time playing in the sandpit again..

Attached Image

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 15 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #9

fhaz sol 2953
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 15 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 152

I'm sure many of you have noticed the change in the timing of Exploratorium updates after the recent outage. The old 0-6-12-18 update schedule is gone, and now the updates come a bit later each day (presumably corresponding to the timing of the downlinks). Some of the images are now timestamped on Exploratorium very soon after they were taken - for example this new image is timestamped 03:12 this morning, PDT. But the MER filename translator says it was taken at 02:15 PDT. Just think about that for a moment - less than an hour after the image was taken on Mars, it's publicly available! blink.gif

I did like the regularity of the old schedule, but getting the newest images in almost real-time is seriously cool. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mhoward
post May 15 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #11

Agreed, Fred; this is about as good as it gets. Major thanks to the individuals at Exploratorium and NASA/JPL for getting the image pipeline working again. And ongoing thanks for the PANCAM database, without which several of us couldn't do much.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 16 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 253

Attached Image (2953) -> (2954) Attached Image

Driving back uphill? huh.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 16 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Our IDD target is to our left but also need to reach some targets in the tracks at the same time. That makes for a difficult precision driving. We thought we could do it in a Sol but apparently it will take some time. Sorry!

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
fredk
post May 16 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 16 2012, 04:28 PM) *
Sorry!

No harm done, Paolo. It's not as if you're driving a robotic vehicle on another planet or anything! wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 16 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #15

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

I got the following question from Eduardo which I think it is interesting to others.

Ciao Paolo,

Sometimes we discussed at UMSF about what might be behind those FHAZ and RHAZ "fault" images which seems to be always sequenced on a driving sol but only executed from time to time. As far as I can see, some of them were taken thisol (seq-id 1354) and I presume (guess, actually smile.gif ) they are triggered after a faulted drive. Excessive slip, currents, tilt? Which kind of events can trigger that sequence? Why Spirit (AFAIK) had no such thing? It's an interesting topic, at least to me and I guess to the others on the forum too, but I'm not sure if this is something which could be discussed / explained on the mainstream thread or is restricted to the mission people perhaps. That's the reason for this PM.
If you say it's no problem to talk about it on the open forum, great! In this case I would raise the same questions there.
If not, fine too. smile.gif

Un saludo,
Eduardo Tesheiner

I know how to answer this question!

p1254, p1354 are 4bpp FHAZ and RHAZ respectively taken only when we have a drive that completes with a fault of some sort to analyze the terrain to possibly help in interpreting the fault. For IDD we take p1154 if the IDD sequence has a fault (p12xx p13xx are for drives, p11xx are for IDD). In this case (sol 2954 drive) it is not really a fault, we just did not make enough progress forward before turning to the left. Since we did not want to turn prematurely and stomp on potential science targets we just stopped the vehicle and precluded any further motion. Since we did the IDD salute (raising the IDD turret to take an unobstructed view of the IDD work volume with a p1214) we could have skipped the p1254 but we left it there to preserve our sequence structure. One of the good things about having a reserved sequence number for events like these is that sequence numbers are one of the first things we see, it gives us more time to deal with a potential anomaly. Also, in case of an anomaly you might have little data to work with, this is a simple trick to let us know what happened. Since what fault conditions are acceptable and which are not is determined on a sol by sol basis, a p1254/1354/1154 does not necessarily mean we have an anomaly.

If anyone has questions like these just ask, I might be able/allowed to answer.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post

35 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.