Spring at Cape York, Sol 2947 (after Greeley Haven) - sol 3040
RoverDriver
post Jul 20 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #331

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 20 2012, 10:30 AM) *
Fascinating stuff for sure!

A few more details: on 3019, the plan is to do pre-drive imaging of two outcrops (Carlin 1 and 2). That should also include the "sparkly bits". Outcrops and sparkles are visible in this frame. Then drive towards São Gabriel. They'll do IDD work if there are interesting targets, but they think that's unlikely and then they'll continue to Whim Creek on 3021.

Then head back south on east side of CY, checking out small craters, outcrops, etc as they go.

edit: Oppy "stands down" for MSL from 3031-3038.

I apologize for the audio feedback. Google was feeding back the audio from the server that had a 5 sec delay and it was not possible to have the meeting that way. I ended up suggesting muting the server audio and have the SOWG chair and Mission Manager dial in from their cellphone. That worked oute well.

Today, Sol 3019, we will be driving to Sao Gabriel ANd to Whim Creek! A total of about 42meters. All in one drive!
I hope you enjoyed the Hangout. There will be more to come.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 20 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #332

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

The name Sao Gabriel seemed to be attached to two different craters on Larry's map. Can you clarify?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PDF: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 20 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #333

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Wow! I guess the plan must have changed after the meeting? Makes sense, though, since there didn't seem to be much excitement around the crater.

Thanks so much for letting us (the Internet) sit in; that was truly great.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 20 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #334

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 20 2012, 01:11 PM) *
The name Sao Gabriel seemed to be attached to two different craters on Larry's map. Can you clarify?

Phil

i would if I knew the correct answer! we were puzzled as well.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 20 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #335

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jul 20 2012, 01:12 PM) *
Wow! I guess the plan must have changed after the meeting? Makes sense, though, since there didn't seem to be much excitement around the crater.

Thanks so much for letting us (the Internet) sit in; that was truly great.

The plan was changed during the meeting, it probably was not at all clear from the discussion.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 20 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #336

Member No.: 98

Ah. It was a little hard to hear, or maybe it was lack of understanding on my part. Still, very exciting.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Jul 20 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #337

Member No.: 3511

Enthralling to sit in on the meeting and watch (our) tax dollars at work smile.gif thanks all for posting

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 20 2012, 09:10 PM
Post #338

QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Jul 20 2012, 01:52 PM) *
Enthralling to sit in on the meeting and watch (our) tax dollars at work smile.gif thanks all for posting

"One is glad to be of service!"

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 20 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #339

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jul 20 2012, 08:17 PM) *
The plan was changed during the meeting, it probably was not at all clear from the discussion.
Thanks for the clarification - I do remember someone mentioning "drive by" imaging.

Perhaps you could clear one more thing up Paolo if you have a chance? I understand you want to flush the flash before MSL landing - does this mean activity will be restricted before the MSL stand down period? Do you think we might be parked at Whim Creek right through MSL landing, or could we continue to drive while flushing the flash?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 20 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #340

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 20 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Thanks for the clarification - I do remember someone mentioning "drive by" imaging.

Perhaps you could clear one more thing up Paolo if you have a chance? I understand you want to flush the flash before MSL landing - does this mean activity will be restricted before the MSL stand down period? Do you think we might be parked at Whim Creek right through MSL landing, or could we continue to drive while flushing the flash?

At the beginning of SOWG we have the LTP (long term planning) report (with the powerpoint presentation) in which we get a recommendation on how much volume we should generate during the plan. Our stand-down means we will have a lower recommendation from the LTP.

It is my hope we will be driving off from Whim Creek before MSL lands but I don'think anyone knows yet. If we will find juicy stuff near the creek we will more likely do IDD over the stand-down period.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 21 2012, 02:27 AM
Post #341

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jul 20 2012, 01:22 PM) *
Ah. It was a little hard to hear, or maybe it was lack of understanding on my part. Still, very exciting.

I just watched part of the youtube video. The audio was HORRIBLE! I'm really really sorry! Hopefully next time will be better. The good thing is that you couldn't hear my thick accent! :-P

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 21 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #342

Member No.: 1241

Thanks JPL (Matt G. and crew) for the peek into the planning meeting <fascinating>
I was able to get the gist (mostly) and look forward to another go! .. BTW: what is an SA STOMP?
Thank you!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jul 21 2012, 03:39 AM
Post #343

Member No.: 3988

Many thanks to Mark Powell for notifiying me of the Amazon S3 raw image feed. Here are some tau images that are unstretched taken from Sol's 2977-3007 pancam.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 21 2012, 04:32 AM
Post #344

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Jul 20 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Thanks JPL (Matt G. and crew) for the peek into the planning meeting <fascinating>
I was able to get the gist (mostly) and look forward to another go! .. BTW: what is an SA STOMP?
Thank you!

The Solar Array Stomp is a dance we do when we have lots of power. laugh.gif

OK, seriously, here's my understanding os the SA Stomp: The BCB (battery charger board) when it sees more than a set threshold of current from the Solar Array it triggers the CPU to boot. This is done so that if for any reason the rover does not wake up, the BCB will make it boot anyway (we make a sequencing mistake, we hit a low power event...). It is sometimes necessary to avoid operating the vehicle too early (too cold, or we want to charge the batteries...), in that case we tell the vehicle that if it finds herself on at a certain time she should immediately power off. Since we can predict when the solar array will generate the set threshold, suppose we predict that this will happen at 0930, we can include a command that at 0945 the vehicle should power off.

Please note that I did not pay attention to when the SA Stomp was sequenced on this planning cycle, so I just made up some numbers to give an example.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 21 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #345

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Just catching up with yesterday's SOWG meeting, via the YouTube recording. Fascinating stuff! Looks like we have a route down the eastern side of Cape York all planned out...

Attached Image

..and put (roughly) onto Google Mars...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 04:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.