35 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spring at Cape York, Sol 2947 (after Greeley Haven) - sol 3040
mhoward
post Aug 5 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #481

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Nice color; those four new images don't actually link up with the earlier part of the mosaic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 5 2012, 01:27 AM
Post #482

Group: Members
Member No.: 3988

Howard is right, there are maybe one or two more images that need to be taken and downlinked to be able to stitch those four new images together with the rest of the panorama. But very good work Stu! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 5 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #483

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 5 2012, 02:14 AM) *
those four new images don't actually link up with the earlier part of the mosaic.

They don't? They slotted right in.

Ah great. Knew it was going too well. That's what you get for making a mosaic at 02.30...!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 5 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #484

Well, the stitcher tried its best, no doubt.

This is the view facing west and a bit down:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 5 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #485

The Poet Dude

Right, I see it now.

Knew I shouldn't have stayed up to watch "Heat". Again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 5 2012, 04:18 AM
Post #486

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Aug 4 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Is the color asymmetry real, or an artifact of lighting? It looks like different materials on either side of Whim.

The color assymetry is certainly real. The purple hues in the false color pancam composites have been frequently observed in the Burns formation, and have often been commented on in the science team's publications. The cyan colors seem to be typical of Meridiani "soils" rich in blueberries. I think fred's right. The cyan colored sediments are mantling the purple-hued rocks on the left side of that panorama.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2012, 05:26 AM
Post #487

Member No.: 227

My version of the sol 3024 panorama in circular form:

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 5 2012, 05:37 AM
Post #488

QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 4 2012, 07:47 PM) *
Think I've *finally* got the colour balance right(ish) on the Whim Creek pan - that (insert expletive here) green gravel on the left is now grey-blue, at last... ...

Stu: Your images are always beautiful, but I really have to ask why would you want to remove color information from an image if that information reflected real differences in the rocks on Mars?

I understand that we amateurs have to work with uncalibrated images that may not always portray the true, spectral variances of Martian rocks, but if anything comes through on those uncalibrated images, it would probably be the spectral differences. As a scientist, I am always looking for ways to enhance the color differences, which is why I normally prefer to look at the false color imagery. I can understand trying to simulate true colors for the aesthetic human eye, but I think there is a balance where we should not discard useful information.

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2012, 05:59 AM
Post #489

Actually that's a mistake - since they are uncalibrated the one thing you can't rely on is the apparent spectral differences. Only with the PDS data that we get six months later do you have something you can rely on.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 5 2012, 06:27 AM
Post #490

Really? If that is true, I retract my statement. But, I have generated many images based on brightness ratios which appear very similar in their calibrated and uncalibrated versions.

The point I was trying to make was that the color asymetry across Whim Creek is real. Are you saying that it is not?

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
serpens
post Aug 5 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #491

Member No.: 4605

The asymetry (in false color) is evident. The physical cause seems to be a concentration of Burnes Formation hematite concretions on the Easterly side while the West seems pretty much Shoemaker eroded sediments.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #492

The side-to-side difference is presumably real, but the exact spectral characteristics of each side can't be determined from the data we have now. I might be wrong, because I don't do anything with multispectral data, but I thought the images as released to us were subjected to an unquantified contrast stretch.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 5 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #493

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 5 2012, 06:27 AM) *
But, I have generated many images based on brightness ratios which appear very similar in their calibrated and uncalibrated versions.

Phil's correct about the stretching - that makes it impossible to do accurate, quantitative spectroscopy.

But in practice, if the contrast and colour (spectrum) of the various targets are similar (which is probably often the case), then the relative exposures and stretching applied to the different filter frames will be similar. So I'd expect you could get some qualitative spectral information from ratios of the filter frames, at least as far as comparing frame ratios at different sites/targets.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 5 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #494

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 5 2012, 06:37 AM) *
Stu: Your images are always beautiful, but I really have to ask why would you want to remove color information from an image if that information reflected real differences in the rocks on Mars?

Thanks smile.gif

re the colours... just speaking personally, I am trying to produce as "realistic"* as possible a view of Mars, to share with people who read my blog(s) and who come to my Outreach talks. I can appreciate the usefulness of 'false colour' or even just stretched colour images, and find them useful *personally* for trying to figure out what I'm seeing in the landscape in terms of processes and differences in geology, but the average person who comes to my talks would be confused to hell and back if I showed Mars in an unfamiliar hue. So, again, personally, what I try to do most of all is try to get my colour images to look like the ones seen on the official NASA Pancam site. I very rarely manage that, because of the limits of my own equipment, software and skill, but I have fun doing it, and now and again, usually some time after midnight, at the end of a long work day, an image pops up on my monitor after a lot of work that makes me smile and think "Yeah, that's not bad... I like that..." smile.gif

* ...which in itself is very subjective, I know. Let's not prise open that can of Barsoomian worms! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 5 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #495

A bunch of images just showed up, including this Pancam L247 image (color section) from sol 3017. So it seems like Odyssey is still functioning well just ahead of the Big Event.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 04:34 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.