IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

77 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Curiosity Lands Safely in Gale Crater, Landing and Commissioning Activity Period 1A, sols 0-8
Decepticon
post Aug 7 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 114

Thanks for those quick replies!

Better Safe than Sorry! laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 7 2012, 02:52 AM
Post #332

Member No.: 3988

I think they said 140 kg of fuel were left over. Assuming the decent stage tanks are intact, now there is a gas station on mars for future explorers! smile.gif

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Aug 7 2012, 02:53 AM
Post #333

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Aug 7 2012, 03:52 AM) *
I think they said 140 kg of fuel were left over. Assuming the decent stage tanks are intact, now there is a gas station on mars for future explorers! smile.gif

Surely they would have burst open on impact ?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 7 2012, 03:06 AM
Post #334

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Dunno. We probably won't know. Given the very volatile & rather nasty nature of hydrazine, though, I suspect that MSL & all future spacecraft that may land in this area someday will give the crash site a wide berth.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Aug 7 2012, 03:07 AM
Post #335

Member No.: 5458

Was it ever decided what the "plume" was in the first image? If that was the decent stage, I think the wreckage would be pretty bad and not of much use.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 7 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #336

Question was asked at the press conference, and really the answer is that there's not enough data to tell what it was one way or another. If it was a transient phenomenon. it'll obviously be long gone before the full cam suite is deployed. If it wasn't, then it surely also wasn't the crash.

Any possible correlation will have to come from MRO...and even then I suspect it would be circumstantial indeed.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 7 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #337

Member No.: 15

The "good" MRO passes in six and 12 days should give us a much better idea as to the current condition and location of the descent stage. I imagine if it exploded upon impact, we'll see plenty of evidence for that, too. I somehow doubt it would explode, though... the hydrazine, while not exactly stable, is only explosive when in contact with the catalyst beds, no?

However -- can you imagine what would have happened if they had left the fly-away programming to burn until fuel depletion? I get the image of the descent stage running headlong into the far wall of Gale, at speed. ohmy.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Aug 7 2012, 03:18 AM
Post #338

Member No.: 4177

I read in one of the EDL reports that, once the bridle is cut, the descent stage turns and burns until prop depletion, then it's ballistic 'til it makes a hole. Maybe no explosion or hydrazine?

EDIT: Oops - I didn't read about the burn to depletion being taken out as the other Doug mentions...

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Aug 7 2012, 03:22 AM
Post #339

Member No.: 1241

Here is a 10x (lightly processed) image of MRO capturing MSL on the chute.

HiRise site says:
The MSL suspension lines are made of material called Technora which has a tan color, while the Phoenix suspension lines were Kevlar which is yellow and this may help explain why they aren't visible in this image.

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 7 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #340

Maybe. But also a considerable distance away from the main sites of interest for the science objectives in this scenario. I doubt in the extreme that MSL will ever get anywhere close to it, and this is yet one more reason why.

--------------------

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Aug 7 2012, 03:43 AM
Post #341

Member No.: 3511

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Aug 6 2012, 07:22 PM) *
HiRise site says:
The MSL suspension lines ... aren't visible in this image.

But their shadows are cast on the backshell, as your wonderful 10x reveals, ...good enough for me smile.gif

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Aug 7 2012, 03:44 AM
Post #342

Member No.: 12

I'm waiting patiently for one or more UMSF members to distinguish themselves by accurately predicting the location where the descent stage will be spotted in future HiRiSE imagery.
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 7 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #343

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Aug 6 2012, 10:44 PM) *
....location where the descent stage will be spotted...

Hot pink marks the spot! laugh.gif
Attached Image

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/mult...a/pia15981.html

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 7 2012, 04:05 AM
Post #344

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Aug 6 2012, 08:44 PM) *
I'm waiting patiently for one or more UMSF members to distinguish themselves by accurately predicting the location where the descent stage will be spotted in future HiRiSE imagery.
tongue.gif

Doug's guess. 400 meteres from the rover on a bearing of 292 degs.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Aug 7 2012, 04:08 AM
Post #345

Member No.: 12

Is this going to be pin the tail on the donkey or is it possible to use data on fuel remaining, orientation of the vehicle during descent etc to make a sort of guesstimate? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 11:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.