Reply to this topicStart new topic
Curiosity Image Retrieval Tools, scripts and software
atomoid
post Dec 19 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

just a tiny gotcha:
it seems the 'SOL' setting snaps back to 'all' whenever i select any of the MASTCAM NAVCAM CHEMCAM HAZCAM MARDI MAHLI boxes.
or maybe its just a quirk in Chrome, i haven't checked others..

you do realize Joe, that yourself and others are constructing a Mars geeks' paradise ?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Dec 19 2012, 01:12 AM
Post #257

Member No.: 3511

Thanks to Joe for the "go-to-site" for Curiosity images. Sitting-in through it's development here is awesome btw.......

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Dec 19 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 13

The reason the sol list snaps back to all is that only sols that have images, given the current selection of cameras, appear in the list. When you uncheck a camera it could very well happen that there aren't any images for the given sol. So in all cases it resets to all and recalculates the list of sols that have images. Granted, maybe it could be done a little more user-friendly and it annoys me sometimes too. Until I change that, the thing to do is make the camera selections first and then select sol, order, size, etc. at will.

As for getting a set of images in more or less the same direction and location as a given image, yes, that sounds very useful!--but tricky. It would be great for figuring out CHEMCAM targets. I hate to think of a clunky interface where you have to specify az/el and location bounds, database-query style. What I'm thinking is maybe a more immediate interface where you simply click on a pixel in a displayed image, the software figures out the azimuth, elevation and location of the camera at that pixel, and then gets the set of all images from the same location that contain that az/el vector. The latter step is actually not too hard in SPICE--you just rotate the vector from the topo frame to the camera frame and check whether it's in the field of view. Maybe the returned images could each have a marker at the given direction.

A tricky part is that many images are not full size. Some are just scaled down versions which wouldn't be a problem, but others are sub-framed and it's not clear what part of the frame they're taken from. Maybe in most cases the center of the sub frame corresponds to the center of the full frame? If some false positives and negatives are tolerated maybe it wouldn't be half bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post Dec 20 2012, 05:58 AM
Post #259

Member No.: 4172

With Navcam images, one thing you might be able to do is to overlay on the map (in a different color) clickable wedges for other Navcam images produced at the same location. If two panorama rows were taken at the same site at different elevations, only those wedges corresponding to images at the same elevation should probably be displayed.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Dec 29 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #260

Member No.: 453

jmknapp's curiositymsl.com is not working for me today - it goes to a generic RoadRunner "what are you looking for?" web site instead. Is anybody else having the same problem? Ludo's "MSL Curiosity - Raw Images Listing" has not shown any updates for a few days now. I may <gasp> have to go to directly the NASA site instead! smile.gif

Airbag

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Dec 29 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #261

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Nope. It's working for me.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Dec 29 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #262

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 29 2012, 09:07 AM) *
Nope. It's working for me.

A little glitch there... just fixed it a few minutes before you posted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Dec 29 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 453

Thanks!

Airbag

+Quote Post
Stellingwerff
post Dec 29 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 6493

QUOTE (Airbag @ Dec 29 2012, 02:52 PM) *
Ludo's "MSL Curiosity - Raw Images Listing" has not shown any updates for a few days now. I may <gasp> have to go to directly the NASA site instead! smile.gif

Working on it:) Backend on Google App Engine became way to expensive, so I decided to move to Amazon WebServices.

Early birds preview: http://msl-raw-images.com/

I do expect some refresh issues there, but it should basically be working now. I will replace the old site with a notification/redirection page as soon as possible. Twitter services will resume as soon as the new site is finished. (Just testing now, so couple of hours on most)

Greetings,
Ludo.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Dec 30 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #265

Thinking about different ways to torture the SPICE camera-pointing data, here are a couple of charts showing the mast pointing during the course of one sol, sampled every second:

Attached Image

That's from sol 137 when mastcam pans were done.

Attached Image

From sol 141 which included some navcam shots skyward.

Maybe of limited usefulness, but kind of fun to interpret.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 7 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #266

Member No.: 98

For Mac and (to a limited extent) iOS users, I'm making some alpha software available today. 'Alpha' means an early development version. Please note that this isn't finished (in fact it still has a long, long way to go), but I figure a few of the diehard enthusiasts here might want to know about it and follow along as it continues to evolve:

http://www.midnightplanets.com/alpha/

For everyone, my website now includes recent image updates, for Opportunity as well as Curiosity. (And since we have metadata for Opportunity, you can see observation descriptions when you click on an image.)

http://www.midnightplanets.com

- Mike

+Quote Post
phase4
post Jan 7 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #267

Member No.: 1584

QUOTE (mhoward @ Jan 7 2013, 09:03 PM) *

Amazing! It runs incredible smooth and loads images very fast. (mbp)
And an option to toggle between MSL/Opportunity… a dream just got real.

Thank you mhoward.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Jan 8 2013, 01:21 AM
Post #268

Member No.: 3511

Great, MacMini loves it! Thanks.

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 14 2013, 01:03 AM
Post #269

Member No.: 98

I'm not usually going to post about updates, but some of you might enjoy automated Twitter notifications of new images, which I think is working now. You can also get text message notifications sent to your cellphone if you set that up in Twitter.

+Quote Post
pospa
post Jan 14 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #270

Member No.: 5979

Dear Joe, I like your CuriosityMSL image browser a lot and would like to suggest a small improvement to yout consideration.
Could you add one more column "Total distance traveled" into the Drive Log page? This value would show cumulative distance traveled since landing for every sol.
Thx

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 12:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.