IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Post Landing - Commissioning Period & Early Observations, Commissioning Activity Period 1B - Sols 9 through 16
fredk
post Aug 20 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Here's my interpretation of Paolo's proposed route description:

Attached Image

And my guess for the outlines of the three terrain types around Glenelg:

Attached Image

As people have pointed out, it looks like the actual junction is hidden by the foreground.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Aug 20 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 678

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 20 2012, 04:51 PM) *
Looks like they imaged Mt Sharp with mastcam34 (and parts with mastcam100!) on sol 13. Thumbnails are avaiable.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=13

Are you sure for Mastcam100 ? Because this camera is located at the Right side of the Mast, not the Left. And all I see is "L" in the filenames. Maybe it's just subframed pictures ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 20 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Aug 20 2012, 05:41 PM) *
Are you sure for Mastcam100 ?

Definitely. See this thumbnail for example.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Aug 20 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #124

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

They moved Curiosities arm.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Aug 20 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #125

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 20 2012, 08:36 AM) *
Here's my interpretation of Paolo's proposed route description:

Attached Image

And my guess for the outlines of the three terrain types around Glenelg:

Attached Image

As people have pointed out, it looks like the actual junction is hidden by the foreground.

Correct, except that I'm not sure how close we will be driving to the halfway point and how close to the overlook point. And you are correct, Gleneleg is not visible from here. Maybe if we stick up the arm and take a MAHLI but I doubt we would be seeing it anyway.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Aug 20 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 678

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 20 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Definitely. See this thumbnail for example.

Okay ! I was checking the wrong "folder". Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
chokai
post Aug 20 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 339

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Aug 20 2012, 08:57 AM) *
Maybe if we stick up the arm and take a MAHLI but I doubt we would be seeing it anyway.

Oh now that would be amusing, concert crowd style pictures..... All we need now is an oxygen atmosphere and a lighter.... More seriously would you really gain much height over the mast? If so how much are we looking at?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 20 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #128

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (akuo @ Aug 19 2012, 12:12 PM) *
I think the Chemcam laser has fired. At least there seems to be a new spot on the calibration target.
I can see that animating the cal target over the course of the mission is going to be fun. Bang! Bang! Bangbangbang!

QUOTE (MichaelJWP @ Aug 20 2012, 03:29 AM) *
Basically is there anywhere JPL posts a "sol-by-sol" list of what's planned in terms of surface operations for Curiosity for the next few sols?

Not really. They use the teleconferences to do that. There are two scheduled this week, for tomorrow and Thursday. Watch them on JPL's ustream (ustream.tv/nasajpl)

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Aug 20 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 4251

QUOTE (Pete B. @ Aug 20 2012, 10:57 AM) *
I thought at the time that he meant a 2m drop into the high TI terrain from the triple junction.

That was my interpretation as well.

Mount Sharp anaglyphs? Arm deploy? Laser pits?! Oh my god it's getting too exciting around here!

[grabs paper bag to breath into]

#PewPew !

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 20 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 13

Has the rover moved? New hazcam view of Mt. Sharp:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/pr...FHAZ00200M_.JPG

That image was taken about 5 hours ago, sol 14.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MattB
post Aug 20 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 6519

Doesn't look like either the rover or the wheels moved.

Compare to Left Front Hazcam image from Sol 0..

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Aug 20 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #132

Member No.: 251

Per http://www.space.com/17174-mars-rover-curi...eadline+Feed%29, should be steering actuator tests tosol, first movement sol 16.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 20 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (pgrindrod @ Aug 20 2012, 07:00 AM) *
For anybody interested, I wrote a blog post about my thoughts on the geological context of the landing site, including more of this GIS stuff, and how it might all fit into the story of Mars.

Nice, thanks!

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 20 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 152

On the topic of picturing the height of the visible part of the mound, it's around 12 degrees above the true (level) horizon at its highest. Your outstretched fist is about 10 degrees wide:

It's very high in altitude above the floor of Gale, but it's also very far away, so the peak's not very high in the sky. This also shows how getting the sun into the camera's field of view was never a problem.

+Quote Post
charleski
post Aug 20 2012, 09:48 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 6485

QUOTE (pgrindrod @ Aug 20 2012, 01:00 PM) *
For anybody interested, I wrote a blog post about my thoughts on the geological context of the landing site, including more of this GIS stuff, and how it might all fit into the story of Mars.

Pete

I'm glad we'll be seeing some of the alluvial fan before heading off to the mound. But I'm still a little confused about the high TI unit. We're expecting it to be composed of clays formed from the finest particles that precipitated out as the influx petered out and dried up. But dry clay actually has a low thermal inertia - Liang et al. list it as 550 Ws1/2m-2K-1 compared to dry sand at 590 and granite at 2200. Wet clay obviously has a much higher TI, but I don't think anyone's expecting this area to still be wet smile.gif. I'm not a geologist, so what am I missing here? Obviously this clay formed a long time ago, would it have undergone some form of alteration that changed its properties compared to fresh clay?

[edit]
it’s just that only the Skycrane technology on MSL has allowed the landing ellipse to shrink enough to touch down safely in the crater floor

Actually, I got the impression that the real star of the EDL that allowed the ellipse to shrink so much was the novel guided entry manoeuvre using banking turns to achieve a precise flight path after the entry interface. The Skycrane got all the press because it's sexier smile.gif. Great blog post, summarises the objectives very clearly.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 11:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.