Reply to this topicStart new topic
MARDI images and videos
Lightning
post Aug 15 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 4867

QUOTE (charleski @ Aug 15 2012, 12:51 PM) *
As I messaged to Brian, the more I look at my video the more problems I can see with it, but if anyone wants to play around with it, the Photoshop file I made is here
Hi Charles. Very good video, indeed. And it makes me very curious: how did you do that, with an in-house automatic registration algorithm ? Did you directly match the MARDI images with the map visible in the video ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 15 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 14 2012, 02:00 PM) *
But I do note that high-res MARDI images are beginning to flow into the raw images page. biggrin.gif

Some post-landing ones have come in this morning, for example:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...1070E1_DXXX.jpg

Now, that's some navel-gazing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
charleski
post Aug 15 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 6485

QUOTE (Lightning @ Aug 15 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Hi Charles. Very good video, indeed. And it makes me very curious: how did you do that, with an in-house automatic registration algorithm ? Did you directly match the MARDI images with the map visible in the video ?

Nothing so fancy smile.gif. Once I'd laid down the base terrain images (large one from Google Mars, inset from the HiRiSE image showing the landing hardware, matched to GM as closely as possible) I painted in some of the prominent features on a couple of layers at a low opacity, then used those as an overlay to scale, rotate and translate the MARDI images individually, trying to find a match for three features in each frame (not always possible). I started out trying to match the frames to each other to produce a smooth transition, but had to throw all that out as it produced systematic errors that ended up with the frames far out of position.

To do this properly you really need to correct for distortion and projection, as Astro0 did. While we could approximate the required barrel correction by looking at the frames in the distortion-corrected movie that was released, it's not practical to try to project hundreds of frames by hand. We'd need the attitude data from the IMU once it comes down.

+Quote Post
Big Joe
post Aug 15 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 4155

Some more MARDI images are available now, did a quick stitch of the area.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 15 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #125

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Nice. I was looking at those new MARDI full frames (which I noticed thanks to jmknapp's MSL raw image table) and I was thinking it'd be fun to try to stitch them but leave in the stitch all the views of the heat shield as it fell, in the spirit of the "Many Rovers" Pathfinder panorama. I don't have time to try though, so I throw the idea out there in case anybody wants to take it and run with it smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Aug 15 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #126

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

I have been thinking about something like that too, with the heatshield.. I hesitate to give it a try though huh.gif
Anyways not until everything is down in fullres..

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
pmetschan
post Aug 15 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 6455

QUOTE (Nix @ Aug 15 2012, 11:05 AM) *
I have been thinking about something like that too, with the heatshield.. I hesitate to give it a try though huh.gif
Anyways not until everything is down in fullres..

My apologies if someone has already done this but I was hoping you could all check me on this? I took one of the MARDI images that seemed fairly close to touchdown to see if I could locate Curiosity in it using the NAVCAM pano. This is the only frame that is fairly dust free (before MLE blowout) and low elevation that has been released thus far. Could you all take a look and let me know if that position looks correct?

I was going to attempt to actually scale and place the rover in the image but due to the fisheye I am a little uncertain about how it would scale in there. Either way if i am correct we should see a rock just under our back right/middle wheel after we move?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Big Joe
post Aug 16 2012, 01:02 AM
Post #128

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 15 2012, 02:47 PM) *
Nice. I was looking at those new MARDI full frames (which I noticed thanks to jmknapp's MSL raw image table) and I was thinking it'd be fun to try to stitch them but leave in the stitch all the views of the heat shield as it fell, in the spirit of the "Many Rovers" Pathfinder panorama. I don't have time to try though, so I throw the idea out there in case anybody wants to take it and run with it smile.gif

Here is my attempt with stacking the full res images currently available from MARDI and the heat shield dropping away. I tried to keep the position of the heat shield true to each frame but where portions of the shield were hidden I moved them a bit. smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeanM
post Aug 16 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 6530

Nice work, Joe!

The heat shield appears remarkably stable, even in 1 % of Earth's atmosphere - I expected at least some tumbling.

Next time JPL/NASA do this, perhaps they could put a camera on the inside of the heat shield & transmit images to the rover - that would make for great viewing of the underside of the lander descending under 'chute.

Dean

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 16 2012, 01:32 AM
Post #130

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Extremely unlikely, Dean. Added complexity means added risk, so 'heatshield cams' would have to have a VERY useful mission-related purpose besides the cool factor.

Not seein' one.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
meraero
post Aug 16 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #131

Member No.: 6548

Very cool Joe!

Hi UMSF. Lurker since MER-A landed. Was aero lead for MSL entry capsule, and continue as MEADS reconstruction lead. I am going to show that picture at the beginning of our weekly meeting tomorrow morning. Looks like the HS was very stable and flew a slight corkscrew as it departed the backshell.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 16 2012, 01:49 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (meraero @ Aug 15 2012, 06:39 PM) *
Looks like the HS was very stable and flew a slight corkscrew as it departed the backshell.

That was my first impression but on further thought, it may just appear that way from the perspective of the descending rover which itself may have been swinging in a descending spiral. Since the above stitch was created by aligning ground features it really could have been either one, or a little of both. An easy way to check would be to plot the geometric center of each MARDI image on the stitched mosaic (instead of the heat-shield) and determine which one "spirals" more significantly.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
meraero
post Aug 16 2012, 02:03 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 6548

Once we get the IMU data down (still waiting), we'll know just what the camera and backshell/parachute system dynamics were as well. The photo markers on the HS appear to confirm it was not spinning much.

+Quote Post
Big Joe
post Aug 16 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #134

QUOTE (meraero @ Aug 15 2012, 09:39 PM) *
Very cool Joe!

Hi UMSF. Lurker since MER-A landed. Was aero lead for MSL entry capsule, and continue as MEADS reconstruction lead. I am going to show that picture at the beginning of our weekly meeting tomorrow morning. Looks like the HS was very stable and flew a slight corkscrew as it departed the backshell.

blink.gif Now I hope I got that image right. smile.gif
Thanks to all involved in the mission and here on the forums, just to have the chance to view and learn as the information becomes available is thrilling.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Aug 16 2012, 03:54 AM
Post #135

Member No.: 4251

Not seeing it reported here yet, so I'll let you know ... a big batch of high-res MARDI images were released about an hour ago. Covers the first 4 seconds of heatshield drop at 4 fps, and then one every couple seconds for a period afterwards. I came here to see if someone had already made a high-res animation smile.gif

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2021 - 06:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.