IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Making 2-color-band Images In Photoshop, Using IR and Red or IR and Violet images
edstrick
post Mar 5 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

The currently posted Spirit Pancam panoramas being taken at Larry's Lookout so far have only L1 (infrared) and L5 (red) filter bands (plus R2 and R7). If band L7 (violet-UV) have been taken, they apparently have not been downlinked yet.

With only 2 spectral channels, it's impossible to get true-color images, but cosmetically acceptible images can be generated by averaging the long wavelength band (L2) and the short wavelength band (L5, in this case) as a "pseudo-middle-wavelength" band. Then generate a color image using L1, Average, L5 as Red, Green, Blue bands, respectively.

In Photoshop 4.0 (menus will vary with other editions and you can't do it with Photoshop-Eviscerated .... I mean Photoshop-Elements.... a shorthand for the image processing/generation sequence is as follows. Note: I'll shorten the input image names to "L2"and "L5", and leave out all the more or less obvious "OK" responses and the like.

File > Open > "L2"
File > Open > "L5"

Window > Tile
Image > Mode > Grayscale
(select/click on the other image)
Image > Mode >Grayscale
(JPL's raw jpgs are RGB, even though there is no color data)

Image > Calculations
Source 1 > "L2"
Source 2 > "L5"
Blending > Normal"
Opacity > 50%
Result > NEW

Image > Mode > Grayscale

Window > Show > Channels (if that tool isn't already onscreen)
">" (click on the right-arrow to get the channel menu)
Merge Channels
RGB Color

Red: "L2"
Green: "Untitled-1"
Blue: "L5"

File > Save
For the filename, I pick the shortwavelength file's name, and append the filter numbers: band2filename_25.jpg

I'll often Image > Adjust >Levels or Image > Adjust > Curves to get better brightness distributions, run Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen to crisp up the image, and, and on screwball filter combinations like these, I may boost color saturation
with Image > Adjust > Hue/Saturation before saving the file.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:55 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.