IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

61 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Continuing into Glenelg, Leaving Rocknest behind, sols 102-166 (Nov 18 2012-Jan 23, 2013)
iMPREPREX
post Dec 30 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #496

Group: Members
Member No.: 6546

I love your work, Damien. smile.gif
I'm just too impatient so I have to thumbnail it. rolleyes.gif
But your stuff is great. Just wanted to tell you that.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Dec 30 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #497

Member No.: 453

Many more sol 141 images added to the MastCam100 panorama; full size is 36k x 8k pixels and it is obviously not even close to 360 yet.

Experimenting with PTAssembler's new auto anti-vignetting feature but I think my own flat fielding works better as the former introduces noticeable banding and color shifts. Perhaps it would work better if I tried to set my own reference image instead of letting it pick? The problem is that because this image is so big, any experiment takes forever to try, even in preview mode, despite my very fast PC. Smartblend alone took about 2 hours for this 232 image (full size) pano.

Attached Image

Airbag

+Quote Post
iMPREPREX
post Dec 30 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #498

Airbag -Try PTGui - it's amazing - and very fast. Plus you have a lot of control over the projections. smile.gif
I'm in love with that program.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Dec 30 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #499

That is similar in some respects to PTAssembler; both are just front ends for the the various utilities that actually do the real work (e.g. Smartblend for the final blended image generation). I'm not going to learn another front end at this point - I have been working with PTAssembler for years!!!

Airbag

+Quote Post
iMPREPREX
post Dec 30 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #500

I gotcha - I think. I'm a super-rookie. I only started with the Sol 3 ML Pano, so I have a million miles to go and so much to learn. smile.gif
I'm done with using Photoshop to stitch, though! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jan 1 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #501

For what it is worth, I have visually scanned the recently downlinked NavCam Left sequences from sols 120, 122, 134, 126, 129, 131, 133, 138, 139 and 141 (by creating movies with PhotoLapse) but I could not see any dust devils.

[edit: also checked 142]

+Quote Post
iMPREPREX
post Jan 2 2013, 05:35 AM
Post #502

I thought I would post this monster. I can't believe I still have a computer:

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/fb0bd2f50c9dbead2998ea9543a942aa

And the small preview:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Jan 2 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #503

Member No.: 6237

Thanks for crunching it, well done. And thanks for adding the cardinal direction labels, I really like having the orientation indicated.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 2 2013, 05:10 PM
Post #504

Member No.: 227

A new drive coming up... still looking for the drilling location, with a fabulous Mastcam dataset to help choose it.

Phil

PS - if the dust devils have little or no dust in them, just looking at images even in a movie might not help much. Picture differencing might be the way to go. Subtract one image from another and see if anything is left. One approach - paste one image over another. Invert the shading of the top one (make it a negative of itself). Make the top one 50% transparent. If no change the result is a flat grey. And change including shadows will show up light or dark. Major contrast stretch might help.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Jan 2 2013, 06:05 PM
Post #505

Member No.: 3233

QUOTE (iMPREPREX @ Jan 2 2013, 06:35 AM) *
I thought I would post this monster. I can't believe I still have a computer:
And the small preview:

I see a difference between this area and the Opportunity landing site which I can not explain. The difference is that in the Glenelg area in-situ sedimentary layers can be clearly seen whereas in Merridiani the layered sandstone blocks have been greatly disrupted by meteorite impacts. The only in-situ layered deposits at the Opportunity landing site are in the sides of craters. Is it possible that the Glenelg deposits were covered by a protective layer of sand until a few million years ago which has protected these sedimentary rocks from meteorite impacts?

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 3 2013, 08:07 AM
Post #506

Member No.: 6780

Indications of recent creeping and/or underground weathering?

Attached Image

(reduced annotated mini-autostitch from sol 141 MR images 5,6, and 7)

It might add some plausibility to a thinkable - I don't claim high likelihood - hypothesis of a (not quite) recent landslide (within the last 10,000 to 100,000 years), as a contribution to today's Yellowknife Bay topography.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jan 3 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #507

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Relentless movement of sand/fines, winds, fracturing from temperature cycling and/or impacts, tremors, etc.
Billions of years and just about as many possibilities.

That's what I love about science smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 3 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #508

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Dec 20 2012, 10:44 PM) *
Gerald: ...It supports the idea, that the rock may have formed from the bed of a shallow lake, with discontinuous sedimentation

I don't think the wider view supports that idea. To my eye at least, just random cracking/fractures.

This image (sol 138) may be a better example with significantly non-random cracks indicating an inner structure of the sandstone(?) layer:
Attached Image

Fluvial or aeolian origin may still be options. Fluvial may be more likely than lacustrine. But I think, the impact hypotheses will become less likely.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jan 4 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #509

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Short drive on sol 147. Looks like they're interested in the 'ridge' or whatever we call that thing. Edit: we now know the name is "Snake River".
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Actionman
post Jan 4 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #510

Member No.: 6622

Drill mount is clean and serviceable. wheel.gif

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 07:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.