39 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Matijevic Hill first survey, Sol 3057 - 3152
Mars Attack
post Nov 8 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #466

Group: Members
Member No.: 2029

Is it possible that Endeavor crater eventually filled up with upwelled water after the impact that created it and over time the crater wall in the area of Cape York eroaded away with the water spilling out into the plains? Would it not be prudent to investigate the bottom of the crater in this area to look at possible sediments that may have filtered out at this location?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 8 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #467

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I think it's more likely that we will be able to understand the stratigraphy of post-impact modification. The old rim of Endeavour was subjected to erosion and deposition, maybe multiple times, and remnants of those events are what we might expect to see here. Details of the original rim stratigraphy, especially things like overturned strata at the original rim (probably lost to slumping and erosion long ago) are not likely to be preserved.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 8 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #468

Member No.: 542

You may well be right, but I think the possibility that the Kirkwood layer is pretty much in situ since the impact cannot be excluded. The obvious chaos only appears upslope from Kirkwood. I'm sure the hunt is on for a possible continuation of the Kirkwood layer at Cape Tribulation.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Nov 8 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #469

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (Mars Attack @ Nov 8 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Is it possible that Endeavor crater eventually filled up with upwelled water after the impact that created it ....? Would it not be prudent to investigate the bottom of the crater in this area to look at possible sediments that may have filtered out at this location?

Given the evidence of a groundwater table rising to the surface at the elevation of Erebus then there is a reasonable argument for deeper water within Endeavour. But north of Cape York the crater rim was overrun by sulphate sediments which form that intriguing delta like infill, so the crater bottom would probably be more yet sulphate sandstone with hematite concretion lag, covering all the interesting stuff beneath. I guess one question is whether the crater was once completely filled and then excavated to the current topography, or whether the infill reflects the configuration reached before the area became pretty well static. If the latter then the possibility of Endeavour having been a water filled stratigraphic trap would seem to be increased.

+Quote Post
ronald
post Nov 9 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #470

Member No.: 6658

Falconbridge - Pancam Sol 3119:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Full version here and here. Partial anaglyph in this post.

+Quote Post
ronald
post Nov 9 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #471

This one - just labeled outcrop ejecta - will be a nice one too (3x1 when all data is down):
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ronald
post Nov 9 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #472

Now this is really the last one for today rolleyes.gif
Makada Lake, Pancam Sol 3124
Attached Image

I also noticed that the two colored ones above came out a bit too desaturated - at least looking at them from home now. At work it looked ok. I'll pay more attention to this in the future.

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Nov 10 2012, 12:37 AM
Post #473

Member No.: 6725

I welcome participants. Allow also to me to take part in discussion. smile.gif

Surprising repeatability of forms. Rectangular structures under wheels of Opportunity http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EGP0142L0M1.JPG
and from the satellite:

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 10 2012, 12:59 AM
Post #474

Member No.: 152

The small-scale features are what the team calls the "boxwork" features, around the 3101 and 3103 sites.

We were close to the large-scale rectangular features/lineations/"tardis features" on sol 2742. We tried to spot them in the imagery, but saw nothing conclusive - check around this post.

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Nov 10 2012, 02:24 AM
Post #475

Member No.: 6725

Thanks. Yes, really from above it looked more interesting.

I, as the archeologist, can't quietly look at them laugh.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 11 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #476

Member No.: 678

Sol 3124 Navcam pan :

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronald
post Nov 11 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #477

A look back on Sol 3124:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 11 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #478

Ant103's pan in circular form.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 12 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #479

This is the current state of my map of Matijevic hill, trying to fit in all the feature names (I'll add diacritical marks later) with the route. I see I left out Gertrude - if you know any other names I can add please let me know. Names around Whitewater Lake such as Kirkwood will be on a separate close-up map.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 12 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #480

Member No.: 152

Looking good, Phil. Just one question: is "Box Work" the name of a particular feature, or was it just used to describe a type of feature? The latest PS update mentions
on Sol 3101... the robot field geologist took pictures of boxwork and possible veins in light-toned bedrock
and then
on 3103... the MER scientists noted boxwork again.
That makes it sound like a type of feature.

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2024 - 04:49 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.