51 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
Habukaz
post Feb 25 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #451

Group: Members
Member No.: 7310

RC2 images are now out on the Photojournal: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/keywords/dp

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 25 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #452

Member No.: 5221

Wow! Some big basins. Almost like the flats on Triton, though it must only be a skin-deep resemblance....

Worth the wait!

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Feb 25 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #453

Member No.: 6336

Max Planck Institute have now added a press release with new images.

Two glimpses of dwarf planet Ceres.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Feb 25 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #454

"Ceres' bright spot can now be seen to have a companion of lesser brightness, but apparently in the same basin. This may be pointing to a volcano-like origin of the spots, but we will have to wait for better resolution before we can make such geologic interpretations," said Chris Russell, principal investigator for the Dawn mission, based at the University of California, Los Angeles.

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/feature_stories/B...r_Companion.asp

Oooh blink.gif

I like the sound of that.

And also still too small to resolve:

"The brightest spot continues to be too small to resolve with our camera, but despite its size it is brighter than anything else on Ceres. This is truly unexpected and still a mystery to us," said Andreas Nathues, lead investigator for the framing camera team at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Gottingen, Germany.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 25 2015, 03:29 PM
Post #455

Member No.: 5221

The final albedo must get higher and higher as the predicted size of the spots drops, right? Things are getting very intriguing....

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 25 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #456

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Here are Celestia previews of those two frames, just to give a sense of the geometry:
Attached Image

Attached Image

To be honest, I'm now more interested in this impact basin. Looks fresh, but it has very muted topography. Maybe it was big enough to reach a liquid layer beneath the crust.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Feb 25 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #457

Member No.: 773

As I expected a Mimas-like surface I'm really surprised to see that some regions are far from being saturated with craters. And these bright spots... This dwarf planet gets really interesting !
Can't wait to see more next Monday, during the NASA briefing !!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 25 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #458

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

There seems to be a rush to claim the big basin as young. That's not correct. Look at the craters inside it - at least the spatial density of larger craters in Mare Imbrium. The basin is old, it's erased a background of large craters and is filled with plains, but since then lots of mid-sized craters have formed. This is quite similar to lunar crater distributions (in general terms) so the chronology can't be very different.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 25 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #459

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 25 2015, 05:20 PM) *
There seems to be a rush to claim the big basin as young. That's not correct. Look at the craters inside it - at least the spatial density of larger craters in Mare Imbrium. The basin is old, it's erased a background of large craters and is filled with plains, but since then lots of mid-sized craters have formed. This is quite similar to lunar crater distributions (in general terms) so the chronology can't be very different.
Phil

100% agree with you Phil !
I think that some experts like Hartmann, Neukum, Salamunićcar, Barlow, etc... are excited to see the next images that will be taken at higher resolution to refine their size-frequency distribution (SFD) of impact craters. No doubt that Ceres seems to be one of the perfect planetary bodies (not too big and not too small) to calibrate crater-SFDs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 25 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #460

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

It's a bit surprising to me how shallow the big crater/basin seems to be. Also it now seems very unlikely that Ceres has anything resembling Tethys' Ithaca Chasma (there were some speculations on that here earlier on). It probably was simply an albedo feature plus shadows within crates in the earlier, lower resolution images.

The bright spots are interesting. To me they simply look like fresh ice that has been exposed by impacts but apparently they might be something else.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 25 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #461

Member No.: 23

True, young and fresh certainly are relative terms...

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Feb 25 2015, 09:41 AM) *
The bright spots are interesting. To me they simply look like fresh ice that has been exposed by impacts but apparently they might be something else.

Most still look like fresh ice exposed by recent impact, just by small impacts. The one that kind of looked like a five-legged creature in last week's view now looks like a lot like the ray crater in Anguta, Rhea.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 25 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #462

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

There's a new Dawn Journal with an updated table.
QUOTE (John Broughton @ Feb 24 2015, 09:14 PM) *
Most here will be well aware of Marc's last blog post. Note that OpNav 3 took place a day later than listed there. I'm not after approximate figures - there'd be no point. If I could get distances at two times around Feb 4.4, I could extrapolate them for individual images within 100km and make some measurements; to clear up a discrepancy between the diameter measured by HST and a well-observed occultation -- or we could wait who knows how long for official figures. I already have a figure for the sidereal rotation period over an eleven-year interval!

Keep in mind that the RCs and OpNavs follow some or all of Ceres' 9-hour rotation, so they can, of course, begin on one day and end on another, and a photo release could come from either day.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
DFortes
post Feb 25 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #463

Member No.: 1957

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Feb 25 2015, 04:39 PM) *
I think that some experts like Hartmann, Neukum, Salamunićcar, Barlow, etc...

Gerhard Neukum passed away last year, but is no doubt as excited as the rest of us on whatever astral plane he now inhabits.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Feb 25 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #464

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Feb 25 2015, 05:41 PM) *
It's a bit surprising to me how shallow the big crater/basin seems to be. Also it now seems very unlikely that Ceres has anything resembling Tethys' Ithaca Chasma (there were some speculations on that here earlier on). It probably was simply an albedo feature plus shadows within crates in the earlier, lower resolution images.

Isn't the easternmost ("rightmost" in the the earliest OpNav images) part of those apparent linear features the apparently relatively smooth terrain seen in the right frame in today's release?:

(south should be to the bottom; image rotated 90 degrees clockwise from the original)

Not particularly valley-like (and not particularly un-valley-like, either), but to me it looks like it could still be a real thing. It looks considerably smoother than the terrain at the same latitude to the east in the same frame.

In the absence of the full rotation sequence, it seems hard to judge whether it's a real feature or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 25 2015, 05:23 PM
Post #465

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Feb 25 2015, 05:14 PM) *
Not particularly valley-like (and not particularly un-valley-like, either), but to me it looks like it could still be a real thing. It looks considerably smoother than the terrain at the same latitude to the east in the same frame. In the absence of the full rotation sequence, it seems hard to judge whether it's a real feature or not.

There might be a gentle dpression there but if so it's not nearly as clearly defined as Ithaca Chasma.

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.