Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Approach Phase, OpsNav - 25 January 15 to 28 June 15
Alan Stern
post Jun 19 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Jun 19 2015, 05:41 PM) *
Will night side imaging be possible using charon shine?

They are planned, we have the sensitivity to do this but we're unsure how bad the scattered light will be from these high-phase observations.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
um3k
post Jun 19 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #332

Member No.: 372

Here's my take on the shots from yesterday:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 19 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #333

Member No.: 6780

OpNav Campaign 4, LORRI 4X4, update until 2015-06-17.
18 sets of 6, each stacked, 1%-quantile as black:

registered and animated, 2x magnified:

Album of full-sized (4x magnified) individual PNG frames used for the animated gif.

I've used the 1%-quantile as a systematic way to define a bias for the background level, since several pixels are much darker than most of the background. So stretching according to the darkest value would make most of the background rather bright. Using a fixed bias as I've done before left more brightness variations between the stacked images than necessary.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 20 2015, 05:29 AM
Post #334

Member No.: 5458

Went back and reprocessed the June 16 data. Two series here with a difference of approximately 12 hours.

Left image is the processed image, right is the flip animation.

Series 1
Attached Image
Attached Image

Series 2
Attached Image
Attached Image

And also a morph between these, showing a 12 hour rotation of the system.

(click to animate)

I am especially intrigued by the changing white area. Could be explained away by artifacts. I'm hoping not. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 20 2015, 07:05 AM
Post #335

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Fascinating animation; thank you, ZLD!

I think that a lot of those features are real, and to my untrained eye the variability of the white patch on Pluto doesn't look like an artifact. Looks much more like a change in illumination angle to me.

Also looks like a nice round dark spot on the 'top' of Charon in this orientation is real.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 20 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #336

I'm honestly still holding out for some cloud-like atmospheric formations. Nitrogen snow storm perhaps. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 20 2015, 08:01 AM
Post #337

Whoops. This one slipped by me all day I guess.

"Pluto and its Moon Charon, Now in Color"

MVIC won't be entirely useful for a while yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Jun 20 2015, 08:24 AM
Post #338

Member No.: 7507

I everyone - I just got posting rights smile.gif I've been doing my own image stacking / deconvolution for a while, and I've been curious: where are you all getting these images?

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=36099

Very useful, but I can't find the source.

Amazing how much Pluto is shaping up to look like Mars thusfar... though I'm sure that's just coincidental, the processes involved in sculpting the surfaces of these worlds have to be totally different. Also interesting how the main dark banding features are offset from the equator.

Also neat to see those Pluto maps from several years ago - that dark linear feature that opens up into a broader area with a light spot in the middle had shown up really clearly in one of my images from about a week ago at the same latitude; it's neat to see it in a formal published product as well!

Also, I agree with the earlier comments cautioning the overinterpretation of things like "impact basins" on these images... if you took a map of Earth and blurred it to the extent that Pluto is blurred, you'd likewise see "impact basins" all over the place. I uploaded an image as an example (hopefully it'll come through). That "impact basin" is the combination of Hudson Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, and the "raised" spot in the middle is Quebec.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jun 20 2015, 08:26 AM
Post #339

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (ZLD @ Jun 20 2015, 10:01 AM) *
...Pluto and its Moon Charon, Now in Color" MVIC won't be entirely useful for a while yet.

Apparently not so. smile.gif
But confirming that Pluto is beige, and Charon is gray do tell us that MVIC is functioning as it should and will perform well.

And thank you for your image processing work, the larger details really appear to be real, and an interesting comparison to the work by Buie.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 20 2015, 11:45 AM
Post #340

I'm now sufficiently sure about Kerberos to post this intermediate version:
Attached Image

I've marked it in one of the frames.

Styx may need some more processing to become evident.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jun 20 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #341

Member No.: 7310

The quality of the MVIC images are now quickly improving, though, and they should be comparable to the 'polar cap' LORRI images from April by now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 20 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #342

In this animated gif of four stacked and ad-hoc differenced "search for debris sources near Pluto" series of 2015-06-15 and 2015-06-16, the latest now complete with except of one out of 96 images, I've marked my best candidates for Kerberos (red) and Styx (turquoise) :
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 20 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #343

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

A quick comparison of UM3K's processing of the June 18th images and Marc Buie's older rendered maps.

The hemispheres shown match up quite well in longitude, but Buie's maps are seen from about 10 degrees south of the equator and the LORRI images are taken over northern mid-latitudes, so there is a significant latitude shift.

The side of Charon visible here is the part mapped from mutual events, and is more detailed in Buie's map than in the LORRI image. Even so the resemblance is very striking, even down to the dark spot in the brighter area.

The side of Pluto seen here is the side facing away from Charon, which could only be mapped from rotational lightcurves (and their changes over the years), at very much lower resolution than LORRI gives. The match is not so good, partly due to the latitude difference, but also I think because the darkest spot is further south than lightcurve modelling suggested.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 20 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #344

... for completeness: stacking of the 383 images ("search for debris sources near Pluto" series of 2015-06-15 and 2015-06-16) :

combined (data-reduced) images, before differencing:

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jun 20 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #345

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (Nafnlaus @ Jun 20 2015, 03:24 AM) *
I everyone - I just got posting rights smile.gif I've been doing my own image stacking / deconvolution for a while, and I've been curious: where are you all getting these images?

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=36099

Very useful, but I can't find the source.

Have you checked out the APL's New Horizon site? See http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounter/index.php

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2021 - 06:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.