31 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn's first orbit, including RC3, March 6, 2015- June 15, 2015
MarsInMyLifetime
post May 19 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 6108

Just to keep other causes in the discussion, we can't rule out some not-yet-obvious circumstance leading to secondary ejecta craters. But I do think the highly localized borders for some of these pits does speak to flows rather than ejecta. And other volatile materials than water could be at work as well. The Sander Crater example is similar only by possible mechanism; the soluble material there may have had a much higher temperature of sublimation/vaporization than water. In fact, I've seen solder blobs that pulled into such shapes; other volatile materials had nothing to do with the puddling behavior of the melted material.

--------------------
--
Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post May 20 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 7310

Yep, the bright spot is in the latest navigation images (OpNav 8). Image quality is pretty poor, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 20 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #243

Member No.: 6780

For convenience, the bright spot 8-fold magnified, and brightness-stretched in a nonlinear way, darker parts mapped to black:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 20 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #244

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Personally I'm more than happy to accept lots of JPEG compression artifacts in exchange for relatively quick release of new images. So far Ceres has been so much better than Vesta in terms of image release.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post May 20 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #245

Member No.: 624

We are finally at the point where we can't get all of Ceres in a single frame, so quality is amazing! It wasn't that long ago were were stretching to death 20 pixel wide images.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post May 20 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 3995

It's puzzling, though, that the associated TIF images have the same JPG artifacts. One would think they would use unaltered images for the ~1-meg files.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 20 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 321

I thought I'd inject a comparison between Ceres' bright spots and albedo patterns that we've seen up-close on Phobos. Eg,
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA10368

Phobos is of comparable distance from the Sun, and is also dark with bright spots. We can see that the bright areas underlie the dark surface and are exposed by combinations of impact cratering and downslope flow. We also see that craters within craters can create arbitrarily fine detail. We also see asymmetries that might not, a priori, be expected: Bright spots at certain places on a rim, but not in others, and bright patches where two causes of incline add (e.g., the upslope wall of a crater within Stickney), but no bright patches where two causes of incline cancel out (the other side of that crater within Stickney).

Overall, there is a simple layering of dark over light, and physical exposure of the ice happens for two simple reasons (impact and downslope mass movement), with anisotropies in topography causing boundaries that appear complex.

This seems like a prominent model to consider for Ceres' bright spots until better observations show the nuances of the bright spot boundaries.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 20 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #248

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ May 20 2015, 10:40 AM) *
It's puzzling, though, that the associated TIF images have the same JPG artifacts. One would think they would use unaltered images for the ~1-meg files.

It's possible that they were returned as lossy-compressed images. These were opnavs after all, needed more for navigation than for science, so fine surface details aren't as important as seeing where the limb is. I know with Cassini we have the option to use that or lossless compression. I always use lossless compression because Titan's atmosphere makes my data blurry enough...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post May 20 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #249

QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 20 2015, 01:30 PM) *
It's possible that they were returned as lossy-compressed images. These were opnavs after all, needed more for navigation than for science, so fine surface details aren't as important as seeing where the limb is. I know with Cassini we have the option to use that or lossless compression. I always use lossless compression because Titan's atmosphere makes my data blurry enough...

I thought that might be the case, but the images in the recent animated GIF appear to be unaltered, while images selected from the same sequence and released in TIF and JPG format are degraded. A comparison, from left to right, are GIF (movie frame), TIF, and JPG:

Attached Image

I'm grateful they released that movie in the original quality.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 20 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #250

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

It's horrible but true that the TIF versions of images at Photojournal are sometimes made from JPEG originals. It was probably provided to JPL by the FC team as a JPEG. Now, JPL could have just grabbed a still frame from the animation and posted that instead, but on missions there are agreements about different organizations having to post the same images at the same time, so it's not something they would ordinarily do.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post May 20 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #251

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 20 2015, 08:30 PM) *

I asked about that, and it seems that the answer is no:

Most of the compression artifacts you are seeing are the result of the conversion from raw data to JPEG format

https://twitter.com/NASA_Dawn/status/601070407094009856

--------------------

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 20 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #252

Member No.: 3908

While converting to JPEG, why didn't they specify "maximum quality"?

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 20 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #253

Member No.: 184

A simple map with a bright spot image projected onto the previously released map.

Attached Image

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post May 20 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #254

This crater floor fracture shows a little more detail in the new release:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 20 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #255

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (JRehling @ May 20 2015, 06:55 PM) *
I thought I'd inject a comparison between Ceres' bright spots and albedo patterns that we've seen up-close on Phobos

Excellent analysis (as ususal) but I'd be surprised if the bright material on the surface of Phobos was ice, so is it salt? If so that gets us somewhere.

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 06:43 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.