49 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons Pluto System Final Approach, 28 Jun-13 Jul 15
Explorer1
post Jul 12 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #676

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

The other moons are essentially nonfactors given their mass, and Charon dominates the system.
Their influence would probably be something like the tides Mars gets from Phobos and Deimos.
Nice chart on Wikipedia: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...onian_moons.png
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Horlick
post Jul 12 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #677

Member No.: 7476

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 7 2015, 08:27 PM) *
We would all benefit from having a text table of metadata for the New Horizons images, and from Pluto Viewer diagrams generated for each full-res LORRI image so we can figure out how to rotate images to align them. It's the kind of thing I used to do for the Society website but I'm not sure that I'll have time to put it together sad.gif Maybe somebody here has time, or maybe people can collaborate? If I were making this, I'd set the field of view on the Pluto viewer images to be two LORRI fields of view, to make sure the diagram more than covers the LORRI image regardless of pointing, and I'd generate both PDF and JPEG versions of each. I will probably start working on this later this week if no one else steps up, but only for the most recent images.

Some metadata could conceivably be scraped from the individual image pages at the New Horizons SOC website, but there's more in text label files here. I am dying for a simple CSV, updated with some regularity (just once a day would be enough!) containing all the metadata we can find for the images.

Sorry I'm late to the game here, but there's also https://www.npmjs.com/package/nhsoc_lyre

It's scraped from the website's JavaScript. I've been posting a daily diff to http://plutoschangelog.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
pitcapuozzo
post Jul 12 2015, 11:51 PM
Post #678

Member No.: 7340

Just released, new pics of Charon showing intriguing geology.

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/charon-s-chasms-and-craters

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 12:02 AM
Post #679

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Nice!!! Looks like Charon is fairly thick-skinned after all.

Hopefully they go back & edit the press release a bit. States that the putative craters formed sometime within the last "billion million" years. laugh.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jul 13 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #680

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 13 2015, 12:02 AM) *
Hopefully they go back & edit the press release a bit. States that the putative craters formed sometime within the last "billion million" years. laugh.gif

Well, they are technically correct about that. The best kind of correct!

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 13 2015, 12:22 AM
Post #681

Member No.: 1241

I finally squeezed out some time to look at the Charon image of July 11, 2015
here it is lightly (if you call 9x light!) processed
Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 13 2015, 12:22 AM
Post #682

Member No.: 5221

Another 'eyeball' moon, in the style of Mimas! If the dark patch is an enormous impact basin, we might just have the origin of some of the smaller moons. Will this hemisphere be visible at CA? The linked image caption implies so.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #683

(Mongo gets 100 points for the Futurama reference... laugh.gif )

The polar hood doesn't look much like an impact basin to me. Much more resemblance to the dark areas on Pluto, and in this view it looks like a deposition of material with a fade-out around the edges. Not obvious why it would collect preferentially in a polar area, though.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
M24
post Jul 13 2015, 12:44 AM
Post #684

Member No.: 6059

Looks like there another release here with Pluto this time: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/one-million-mi...guing-than-ever

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 01:01 AM
Post #685

VERY interesting. Looks like there's a big divot right on the terminator at about 7 o'clock...crater profile?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jul 13 2015, 01:03 AM
Post #686

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (M24 @ Jul 13 2015, 01:44 AM) *
Looks like there another release here with Pluto this time: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/one-million-mi...guing-than-ever

The light-colored northern terrain is looking more and more like Triton's "cantaloupe terrain" to me. It's still possible that it's just an artifact of the deconvolution process, but I don't see the edge artifacts at the edge of Pluto's disk I would expect to see in that case.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #687

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 13 2015, 01:01 AM) *
VERY interesting. Looks like there's a big divot right on the terminator at about 7 o'clock...crater profile?

This is the eastern edge of dark terrain that appears slightly right of center and south of the equator in my most recent Pluto map.

Interestingly, Pluto isn't displaying any easily recognizable topographic features whereas Charon does so.

+Quote Post
John Broughton
post Jul 13 2015, 01:18 AM
Post #688

Member No.: 7397

It seems those regions resembling lakes on Titan are bordered by cliffs at least 10km high, perhaps resulting from erosion by fluids, at a time in the distant past when the atmosphere might have been more substantial than now.

+Quote Post
surbiton
post Jul 13 2015, 01:44 AM
Post #689

Member No.: 6692

QUOTE (machi @ Jul 12 2015, 08:17 PM) *
Here is improved version of my table with planned observations by the LORRI imager.
It now covers all(?) observations between 11.7. and 16.7., some minor corrections (info about 40 images strip by Jason, thanks!) and
I added new column "Pixels across target" - predicted number of pixels across target diameter.

So, resolution at closest approach will be 1000 x just about now ? Wow !!

+Quote Post
abalone
post Jul 13 2015, 01:53 AM
Post #690

Member No.: 409

New Horizons’ newest images reveal Pluto’s largest moon Charon to be a world of chasms and craters.
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/charon-s-chasms-and-craters

+Quote Post

49 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 02:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.