30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ceres High Altitude Mapping Orbit (HAMO), Late summer through fall 2015
fredk
post Dec 11 2015, 04:55 AM
Post #406

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Those polar maps are composites of several images. Those brighter patches you point to look like artifacts from reprojecting and compositing the images.

Welcome to UMSF!

Edit - scooped by Emily!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wright
post Dec 11 2015, 05:11 AM
Post #407

Member No.: 7847

Well, thanks Fred and Emily for the fast responses.

I found this site during the run-up to New Horizons at Pluto, am enjoying the detailed discussion.

David

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 11 2015, 03:00 PM
Post #408

Member No.: 105

Although these "slumpage and flowage" mass wasting features may be ice-related ("glacial", in terrestrial terms) not all are convinced at this time that they are ice-related. These peculiar features were first noticed during the Survey Orbit (SO-xx) phase and differences were noted between slumps internal to craters and flows external to craters, therefore the somewhat informal terms "slumpage and flowage" are adopted until the community decides on a nomenclature. Much easier to say than "mass wasting feature of unknown provenance external/internal to a crater". My photosite has images and discussions of features that we are observing on Ceres: https://univ.smugmug.com/Dawn-Mission/Ceres

We'll learn more now that Dawn is at the LAMO phase and can return higher resolution imagery and compositional data.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 11 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #409

Member No.: 5458

HAMO 75

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 13 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #410

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 10 2015, 03:05 PM) *
Remember that when looking across an area with grounds mists or fog that mist will show up looking parallel to the ground through a greater sight distance.

Yes a view from the side put more of the haze in view as long as it stay on the crater floor. So that might very well the reason to show that particular image. While it might be difficult to see even nearly undetectable from above. And salts that might be magnesium sulphates.
Also Oxo crater is thought to have a fumarole, a bit of possible haze seen there also.

It's all good you keep an open mind for alternative explanations for the "slumpage and flowage" features. However I do think the alternative explanation would have to be even more exotic for at least for some of those features.

Anyway, Dawn should indeed be on LAMO now so lets wait and see, and I am looking forward to this as much as any Christmas presents. tongue.gif~

So yes, Merry Christmas to you all of this forum! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 14 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #411

The optimum lighting for the "ground hazes" would put the feature on the terminator so that the illumination angle is very low and the floor of the crater is in shadow while the mist is in sunlight. But the mechanics of going to a polar orbit temporarily over the terminator is probably too expensive, though they could let the orbit drift or precess that way later on. I suspect that those many "low sun" images in the south polar region were looking for that (or preparing to study "long-shadowed ice" in those craters.

I'm thinking that the explanation for those "slumpages and flowages" could be anything from mild to wild. But my public utterances tend to be conservative 'cause I don't want a reputation for being a Looney... wink.gif

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 14 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #412

Member No.: 152

As far as the Occator haze, that was only claimed around local noon. The paper states that it completely disappears near dusk.

But you're right that sunlight skimming just over the crater floor would be a strong test for haze.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 14 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #413

HAMO 76

--------------------

+Quote Post
Req
post Dec 15 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #414

Member No.: 7506

People have been cautious to speculate about the cause for the flat/young-looking crater floors on Ceres - I'm not so cautious, I'm going to come right out and say that I believe that anything that penetrated deeply spent some time forming these Occator-like fumaroles and hazes, and that was the process that eventually caused the localized topography before it stopped and became covered in(or was transformed into via radiation) the darker surface material more commonly seen.

Edit - Since I'm posting, according to http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/dawn/new-c...ots-and-origins Dawn has been in LAMO since around the 9th - does anybody have any links or knowledge about why it takes another week to begin science observations?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2015, 03:40 AM
Post #415

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

They will want to measure the orbit very precisely, but it is also possible they have begun observations. One of the high priority datasets in LAMO is the gamma ray instrument, which can't be used higher up.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Dec 15 2015, 11:24 AM
Post #416

Member No.: 7310

For detailed updates on Dawn - including on the LAMO insertion - see the Mission Status Updates. Some imagery should be taken tomorrow and/or the day after (16-17 December).

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 16 2015, 04:11 AM
Post #417

Member No.: 4489

some 3d views of HAMO 76

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Dec 16 2015, 06:02 PM
Post #418

HAMO 77

HAMO 78

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniele_bianchin...
post Dec 17 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #419

Member No.: 7482

Fantastic images HAMO.
I look forward for LAmo. :-)

They were calculated temperatures over Ceres surface?
absolute maximum temperature?
Will be 'presented a surface temperatures map of Ceres?
Thank s

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 18 2015, 12:58 AM
Post #420

Image HAMO 79, centered on craters Juling and Kupalo. This area was also noted as Spot 3 by Hubble.prior to the Dawn mission to Ceres. This image was enlarged 2x at a scale of 70 meters/pixel.

Compare with the image of Kupalo uploaded earlier as "HAMO Image 6".

https://univ.smugmug.com/Dawn-Mission/Ceres...-res2x--enh.png

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.