27 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Perseverance Lands In Jezero Crater, Sol 0-
MarT
post Feb 19 2021, 07:51 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 8729

My attempt at color corrections, contrast, vingette, sharpening and crop. A cylindrical projection version is also attached.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 19 2021, 07:58 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (marsophile @ Feb 19 2021, 02:48 PM) *
If the skycrane portion has left-over fuel, could it take off again, and image some more terrain?
Maybe this would steal some of the thunder from the helicopter, but it's a disposable asset...

Impossible. It was violently destroyed on impact.... and cannot relay data without the umbilical. Everything was downloaded on touchdown or else lost forever.

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Feb 19 2021, 08:05 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 6783

I was looking at the great image FredK just posted and couldn't visualise what 15deg etc looked like, so I came across this on the net and thought it might help others as well.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
charborob
post Feb 19 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 3908

The raw images page is still showing only the first three images sent yesterday. Do we know if that page will be updated as soon as images come down? What is the image policy for this mission?

+Quote Post
kenny
post Feb 19 2021, 08:18 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 759

One of the speakers at the recent press conference said the new images would be uploaded to the Raw Images public webste "fairly soon", but I did not detect any urgency about it.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Feb 19 2021, 08:18 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 624

Didn't we used to have a swear jar?

It's going to be a long weekend until Monday's press conference, and I'd be surprised if they released any raw images before then.

I'm not sure about the skycrane being violently destroyed on impact. It burns its fuel until depletion, so no explosion, just breakup. But I'm curious as to what speed it might have had on impact with 25% of fuel reserves remaining and no rover weight. I believe the reason they didn't want to look at the skycrane for Curiosity was fear of residual fuel that is highly corrosive.

+Quote Post
Steve5304
post Feb 19 2021, 08:19 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 7494

QUOTE (MarT @ Feb 19 2021, 08:51 PM) *
My attempt at color corrections, contrast, vingette, sharpening and crop. A cylindrical projection version is also attached.

those rocks with holes in them ohmy.gif wheel.gif

What sort of process does that? I dont remember ever seeing anything like that at Gale Crater

Really hoping the team looks at those first.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Feb 19 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (Steve5304 @ Feb 19 2021, 08:19 PM) *
those rocks with holes in them ohmy.gif

What sort of process does that? I dont remember ever seeing anything like that at Gale Crater

Usually that's due to 'evaporites' that form on dry lake beds, the salt crystals get mixed in with sand or clay, then when the rock is exposed to water the salts dissolve away leaving voids. You often see that texture in 'caliche' or 'natural cement' that forms in desert regions.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Steve5304
post Feb 19 2021, 08:34 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 7494

QUOTE (HSchirmer @ Feb 19 2021, 09:33 PM) *
Usually that's due to 'evaporites' that form on dry lake beds, the salt crystals get mixed in with sand or clay, then when the rock is exposed to water the salts dissolve away leaving voids. You often see that texture in 'caliche' or 'natural cement' that forms in desert regions.

Thanks man! Fascinating none the less. Don't recall seeing that at Gale

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Feb 19 2021, 08:38 PM
Post #130

QUOTE (Steve5304 @ Feb 19 2021, 09:19 PM) *
those rocks with holes in them ohmy.gif wheel.gif

What sort of process does that?

From watching the recent press conference, I recall one of the science team was asked about the porous nature of the rocks near the rover wheels.

Her answer IIRC was that if they are volcanic basaltic rocks, then the holes (wrong term) are caused by the venting of gasses during cooling, and that if the rocks are sedimentary, the the same holes are produced from the interaction with chemically enriched water.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Feb 19 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Steve G @ Feb 19 2021, 12:18 PM) *
I'm not sure about the skycrane being violently destroyed on impact. It burns its fuel until depletion, so no explosion, just breakup. But I'm curious as to what speed it might have had on impact with 25% of fuel reserves remaining and no rover weight. I believe the reason they didn't want to look at the skycrane for Curiosity was fear of residual fuel that is highly corrosive.

I would have suspected it to travel much further away than it did if it was programmed to fly in a line until it emptied the tank, but so much for intuition maybe that was similar to Curiosity skycrane distance travelled with the simple impact dust plume being much bigger and further away than it seems, but hopefully this time its closer to the proposed path to do some imaging if ITAR concerns aren't prohibitive, seems it would be valuable from an engineering perspective given the effort put into the suite of forensic tools for the EDL sequence.

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Feb 19 2021, 08:47 PM
Post #132

Personally, if I were looking ahead to entry into this, or other atmospheres in the future, I would love to learn as much as is possible about the performance of the heatshield.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 19 2021, 08:52 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 184

The rocks with holes remind me of Viking 2 (see figure 4a,4b): https://www.polartrec.com/files/members/jac...et._al_2011.pdf
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom Ames
post Feb 19 2021, 08:52 PM
Post #134

Member No.: 149

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 19 2021, 11:58 AM) *
Impossible. It was violently destroyed on impact.... and cannot relay data without the umbilical. Everything was downloaded on touchdown or else lost forever.

I was also wondering what the cost/risk would be for future missions to include some rudimentary scientific and comms hardware on the skycrane, to be used in the event that there was remaining fuel. (Though on reflection I'm not certain what the benefit would be: given the high resolution imagery available from the orbiters, would an instrumented skycrane give us anything of significant extra value to the mission?)

Also, I can understand the reluctance to mess with a system whose main objective at touchdown has to be to get as far away, as safely and quickly as possible, from the rover.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 19 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 321

Adding extra complexity to something like Skycrane is how you end up being asked difficult questions when an expensive mission fails.

Skycrane also, at the moment the rover is detached, is in the dead center of an area we have already imaged on the way down.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st March 2021 - 01:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.