7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's So Interesting?
dot.dk
post Apr 15 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Oppy hasn't moved much lately and now they are looking at the front right wheel... huh.gif

What are they doing?

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Apr 15 2005, 08:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Apr 15 2005, 02:09 AM)
Oppy hasn't moved much lately and now they are looking at the front right wheel...  huh.gif

What are they doing?

If I had to guess, I'd say they're looking at Oppy's tracks more than the wheel. I'm seeing a lot of bright compressed soil in the tracks, just like we saw at Gusev where the soil had very high salt content.

I think we're seeing the dust and sand from the eroded evaporite mixed in with these soils, which is causing the spotty bright compressed soil in Oppy's tracks. I think maybe they're taking a close look at the tracks to see if that's what is, in fact, happening. Wouldn't surprise me to see a two or three day session of Mossbauer and APXS integrations on the soils around here sometime soon. Maybe even a trench.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 15 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #3

Guests

The only other time I remember seeing these hazcam subrames was when Spirit had a rock stuck in the wheel and they were unable to move.... unsure.gif unsure.gif

They've driven a little further than I thought:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P1607R0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Apr 15 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 15 2005, 08:43 AM)
The only other time I remember seeing these hazcam subrames was when Spirit had a rock stuck in the wheel and they were unable to move.... unsure.gif  unsure.gif 

They've driven a little further than I thought:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P1607R0M1.JPG

And the wheels get deeper in the soil than before ! Toplayer seems less dense around here. Less crusty also. Younger ? Other composition ? Thicker layer (=deeper bedrock) ?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 15 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 15 2005, 08:43 AM)
The only other time I remember seeing these hazcam subrames was when Spirit had a rock stuck in the wheel and they were unable to move.... unsure.gif  unsure.gif 

No, there's another time when they do these subframes: when they're starting a trench.

I bet dvandorn is right, though.

+Quote Post
mars_armer
post Apr 15 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 143

Opportunity's right front steering actuator stalled near the end of the drive on sol 433 (after 150 meters of driving). On sol 434, they backed up a meter or so and tried to straighten the wheel, but the steering motor stalled again without moving at all. Imaging doesn't show any reason for the stall. The wheel is about 7 degrees off from straight, which would still be driveable if they can't resolve the problem.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 15 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (mars_armer @ Apr 15 2005, 03:47 PM)
Opportunity's right front steering actuator stalled near the end of the drive on sol 433 (after 150 meters of driving).  On sol 434, they backed up a meter or so and tried to straighten the wheel, but the steering motor stalled again without moving at all.  Imaging doesn't show any reason for the stall.  The wheel is about 7 degrees off from straight, which would still be driveable if they can't resolve the problem.

I take it back. unsure.gif unsure.gif

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Apr 15 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 112

I 'm keeping my fingers crossed. We shall overcome cool.gif

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Apr 15 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 221

uh oh. I had been lulled into a false sense of security by that 18 month extension. Here's hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a permanent/major problem. At least they have experience at dragging a wheel. Looks like it could come in handy on Oppy.

Onward backwards to Victoria!

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 15 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #10

Guests

Damn.....I thought there might be a problem sad.gif Lets hope they can get moving again, they're not exactly parked in a very scenic spot lol

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 15 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 15 2005, 06:20 PM)
Damn.....I thought there might be a problem sad.gif  Lets hope they can get moving again, they're not exactly parked in a very scenic spot lol

Yeah, kind of looks like Nebraska. laugh.gif (Sorry, regional humor.) But seriously, we need to keep moving. Come on, Oppy! At least we've already been through something like this with Spirit. In fact, isn't this the same wheel that acted up on Spirit? I know it's a different component, but still, that would be an odd coincidence, if coincidence it is.

+Quote Post
Chmee
post Apr 15 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 206

This could be pretty serious. If that wheel cannot be straightened, Oppy's progress could be critically impacted! I hope they figure this out!!! huh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 15 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (mars_armer @ Apr 15 2005, 04:47 PM)
Opportunity's right front steering actuator stalled near the end of the drive on sol 433 (after 150 meters of driving).  On sol 434, they backed up a meter or so and tried to straighten the wheel, but the steering motor stalled again without moving at all.  Imaging doesn't show any reason for the stall.  The wheel is about 7 degrees off from straight, which would still be driveable if they can't resolve the problem.

I suppose driving backwards with the wheel in it's current state would be even less of a problem?

+Quote Post
gregp1962
post Apr 15 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 66

mars_armer,

Where do you get this information?

+Quote Post
marsman
post Apr 16 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 219

Even with the wheel completely inoperable, they should be able to continue to drive good distances, especially with the flat terrain. But if the info is correct, this sounds like a mechanical malfunction which would be far more serious than Spirit's lubrication problem.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 01:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.