7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's So Interesting?
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 18 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #46

Guests

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 18 2005, 09:56 AM)
Hopefully we might get some idea of whats going on after the latest images are posted.......they shouldn't be too long  biggrin.gif

I spoke too soon lol..... the one day new pics are late in being posted lol tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
odave
post Apr 18 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 209

QUOTE (mike @ Apr 17 2005, 07:36 PM)
Or will it turn freely, flopping whereever fate takes it?

...kinda like the one wheel on that bum shopping cart I always seem to end up with? smile.gif

I confident the MER engineering team will come up with something, it seems like there are several avenues for a workaround/solution.

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 18 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #48

Guests

Well........no update today, so I gues they're still tinkering with it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phillip
post Apr 18 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Apr 18 2005, 01:04 PM)
Well........no update today, so I gues they're still tinkering with it.  wink.gif

I just saw this and thought I would pass it on:

OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Steering Tests After a Long Drive - sol 430-437, April 18, 2005

The terrain that Opportunity is crossing has been steadily getting more wavy. After a long drive southward from "Voyager" crater, Opportunity's right-front steering motor stalled out on sol 433 during an end-of-drive turn. While performing tests to help the team diagnose the condition of that motor, the rover also continued to make remote-sensing observations. Testing in sol 435 did show motion in the steering motor, but analysis is still underway. The rover resumed normal science and driving operations on sol 436, but with restrictions on use of the right-front steering motor. It drove 30 meters on sol 437. Opportunity and Spirit are capable of driving with one or more steering motors disabled, though turns would be less precise. The latest revision in flight software on both rovers, uploaded in February, gives them improved capabilities for dealing with exactly this type of condition. It gives them upgraded ability to repeatedly evaluate how well they are following the intended course during a drive, and to adjust the steering autonomously if appropriate.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Apr 18 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #50

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

And also very assuring note:

Sol 437:
The team planned a southward drive of about 45 meters, but Opportunity curved left, sensed it was off course, and ended the drive after 30 meters. The same driving commands produced the same results in a software testbed at JPL, indicating that the curving resulted from how software parameters were set, rather than a hardware problem. Observations with the panoramic camera were completed as planned.

Odometry total as of sol 437 (April 16, 2005): 5,225 meters (3.25 miles).

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 18 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #51

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Wow, that is a big relief. I hope we see some driving soon, then.

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Apr 18 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 180

QUOTE (helvick @ Apr 18 2005, 01:31 PM)
And also very assuring note:

Sol 437:
The team planned a southward drive of about 45 meters, but Opportunity curved left, sensed it was off course, and ended the drive after 30 meters. The same driving commands produced the same results in a software testbed at JPL, indicating that the curving resulted from how software parameters were set, rather than a hardware problem. Observations with the panoramic camera were completed as planned.

Odometry total as of sol 437 (April 16, 2005): 5,225 meters (3.25 miles).

I just think that's really cool - rovers that are able to figure out that they're not where they're supposed to be.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Apr 18 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 107

Also this sounds like it's not completely dead smile.gif

Sol 435:
The sol's plan included more remote sensing, plus diagnostic tests using attempts to change the steering direction of the right-front wheel very slightly at different times of day and at different voltage levels. The testing did show motion in the steering motor. While analysis continues, the rover is resuming normal science and driving activities with restrictions on the use of the right-front steering motor.

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Apr 18 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 180

Hopefully it's just some dust somewhere in there that'll work its way out. Or else just a software glitch.

+Quote Post
gregp1962
post Apr 18 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 66

Where is the rest of the world? We have this big news item concerning the wheel problem and no one seems to know or care. It isn't even being mentioned by NASA..yet.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Apr 18 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (gregp1962 @ Apr 18 2005, 08:32 PM)
Where is the rest of the world? We have this big news item concerning the wheel problem and no one seems to know or care. It isn't even being mentioned by NASA..yet.

Oh, yes it is smile.gif
http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/status.html#opportunity

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Apr 19 2005, 02:28 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 116

Oh, thank god. I can breath again. Although Opportunity is not out of the woods yet, I was concerned it might have developed a serious mobility problem just as it was getting to the etched terrain. It's very encouraging that not only have they been able to drive a fair distance with the problem, but also that "the testing did show motion..."

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Apr 19 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 190

Well that's certainly a bit of a relief. I wonder what's causing these problems with the steering actuators....the same fault on both rovers seems highly unlikely unless there's a design weakness in that part somewhere blink.gif .

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Apr 19 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Apr 19 2005, 05:46 AM)
Well that's certainly a bit of a relief.  I wonder what's causing these problems with the steering actuators....the same fault on both rovers seems highly unlikely unless there's a design weakness in that part somewhere blink.gif .

It's the same dilemma i always have with my twin daugthers. If they're BOTH ill by a not contageous disease: is it because they're built the same way (with the same stongnesses and weaknesses) or is it just pure coincidence ?

I'd say the steering actuator problems have to do with a "weakness" in both....though we don't have the inside information on what's exactly going on.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 19 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #60

Guests

Oppy is moving again.........but did take a little detour again.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...B0P1893L0M1.JPG

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 02:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.