36 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MESSENGER News Thread, news, updates and discussion
Holder of the Tw...
post Oct 24 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 557

Yes, the emphasis on the second flyby would seem to be more toward reducing speed relative to the sun. The spacecraft will always be seen from the sun as moving eastward, giving a counterclockwise orbit as viewed from north to south. But Venus flinging it back will significantly reduce the spacecraft speed as seen from the sun (and microscopically increase the speed of Venus).

On the website space.jpl.nasa.gov you can see the approach (and departure) of Messenger in a broader scene up to a point. That point is 3:40 UTC on the 24th, with a sudden shift to a Venus centered approach line rather than sun centered for both planet and spacecraft. It will only show one snapshot at a given time at five minute intervals, but repeated entries will show the two closing in on each other.

Chose "MESSENGER" as seen from "above" with a selection of "60 degrees" field of view (make sure the field of view option is clicked) on this website and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Just about nine hours to go ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 24 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 385

By now, I haven't found any internet refresh news. Let suppose that the flyby have occured today at around 4:30 am at EDT time.
How was the Venus 1 fly-by?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 24 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #123

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

How could we possibly know? Venus, like Mars, is in conjunction. That is the reason there was no science planned for Messenger during this flyby - the spacecraft is totally out of touch.

Doug

+Quote Post
maycm
post Oct 24 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 289

Why no science?

Surely Messanger could be programmed for observations well in advance for the flyby - even if it was unable to transmit the results until sometime aftwards?

Would this not be at least an opportunity to test run some of the instruments ahead of the eventual rendezvous with Mercury?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 24 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #125

Founder

There will be further chances to test the instruments out - but one could ask the same question of MGS, ODY and MRO at Mars during conjunction....why no science.

#1 reason - while you're out of touch you want the spacecraft to be as quiet as possible, so minimising the chance of anything going wrong and causing a safe event which may consume prop etc.

doug

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 24 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #126

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Why no science?

The question has been asked many times. Simply put, if you can't communicate with the spacecraft and the encounter is not the main focus of the mission, you can't afford to conduct complex operations. If anything goes wrong and the spacecraft enters safe mode you can't go to work on it, and the potential for fatal errors is too high. And... there's a second chance to do some Venus science later.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 24 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 24 2006, 10:20 AM) *
Why no science?
And... there's a second chance to do some Venus science later.

Yes, at June 6, 2007 Messenger will have coordinations with VEX to conduct many science observations. It is a matter of time. This second flyby is a very important since Messenger will jump from Venusian orbit into to Mercurian orbit.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Oct 24 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #128

Guests

But MRO IS making daily observations during the conjunction period.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 24 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #129

Founder

Only a very limited ammount with two instruments in a steady orbit. To sequence fly-by observations is a much mroe involved and intensive operation. If Messenger does some Mag observations during this flyby, then that would be analogous to the MARCI/MCS obs of MRO during conjunction.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 24 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #130

Founder

Bloody hell :
MESSENGER swung by Venus at 8:34 UTC (4:34 a.m. EDT), according to mission operators at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, Md. About 18 minutes after the approach, an anticipated solar eclipse cut off communication between Earth and the spacecraft. Contact was reestablished at 14:15 UTC (10:15 a.m. EDT) through NASA's Deep Space Network, and the team is collecting data to assess MESSENGER's performance during the flyby.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 25 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #131

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

smile.gif ...Doug, I assume "bloody hell" means "HELL yeah!" in American slang...I hope this is good news, although it seems a bit guarded... unsure.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Bubbinski
post Oct 25 2006, 06:08 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 167

I just saw something in the Florida Today "Flame Trench" blog that Messenger had an unexpected computer reset. I hope it's nothing serious.

--------------------
- My signature idea machine is busted right now.

+Quote Post
mchan
post Oct 25 2006, 06:13 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 476

Bloody hell! And that is NOT HELL yeah!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 25 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 523

Update on the flyby: MESSENGER Completes Venus Flyby.

There's also an image of Venus taken by MDIS from 16.5 million km.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 27 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #135

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Rog on the "BH", Doug & Mchan...just didn't see any reference to the anomaly in Doug's post, so I got confused.

In fact, I can't find any mention of this on Google News or on the Messenger website, which is kind of worrisome. I hope this doesn't mean that anomaly recovery has been interrupted by superior conjunction. Anybody have an update?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 05:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.