Reply to this topicStart new topic
Methuselah
djellison
post Apr 29 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Look at the MI campaign on this puppy ohmy.gif It's got to be a 4 x 4 frame MI mosaic ohmy.gif

http://qt.exploratorium.edu:16080/mars/spi...cam/2005-04-28/

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 29 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Guests

http://planetary.org/news/2005/mer-udpate_0428.html

Spirit then drove toward a piece of outcrop in the neighborhood that attracted the eye of science team, and spent last weekend and this week checking out the target the team has dubbed Methuselah. Several meters across, this section of bedrock presently forms a semi-circular boundary around the rover.

"Basically, the idea there was to cover the whole thing at a very high-resolution and then find the very best spot to move in and do some detail work with the IDD and that's what we're doing right now," Squyres told The Planetary Society.

The rover moved in on the spot the science team chose and nicknamed Keystone earlier this week and will be hunkered down there throughout this coming weekend. Currently, Spirit is in the process of taking 144 microscopic imager (MI) pictures for a "huge mosaic," as Squyres described it. "We planned [to take] two-thirds of those 144 images yesterday and so the rover should start executing that in just a few hours now," he elaborated. "And we're planning the remaining one-third of it today. And then we're going to do RAT brush, APXS, Mössbauer spectrometer, and a complete work over of this thing."

+Quote Post
OWW
post Apr 29 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

Here is one of those MI images already. Looks like 'Tetl' and 'Pot of Gold':

+Quote Post
chris
post Apr 29 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 135

I'm not a geologist, so I could be dead wrong, but some of the shapes in the MI images remind me of the vugs that Opportunity saw in Eagle crater.

Chris

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Apr 29 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 127

Looks like Pot of Gold to me as well.

Hopefully we found some of the outcrop!

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Apr 30 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 190

I feel like some parts of those images are just teasing me to find structure where there is none... biggrin.gif Sometimes the mind's adroitness for deciphering patterns in the noise can be almost cruel. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post May 1 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 328

I'd like to add my two cents worth to what Chris has said, namely, that this looks like Meridiani. There are no "blueberries" per se, but perhaps conditions were not quite right on this side of the planet for their formation -- but otherwise it SEEMS like the same strata! And I am certain that the JPL people are going at it with the same thought, hence the massive focus on this piece of real estate. The Mossbauer etc. will tell us more?

Doug, can we cross-reference the "blueberries" thread?

Glenn

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 2 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (gpurcell @ Apr 29 2005, 04:47 PM)
Looks like Pot of Gold to me as well.

Hopefully we found some of the outcrop!

I tried to make a mosaic with last mi images (Sol471... not easy and not perfect due to parallax issues blink.gif ). In the left color Pancam image you can see that this is centered on brush area...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post May 3 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 328

Neato!

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post May 3 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 107

Moving on to a new target by the looks of it.

The rocker-bogie is really being tested here smile.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
Burmese
post May 3 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 365

I wonder how this rock picked up that tidy circular impression?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...I4P2564L7M1.JPG

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 3 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Burmese @ May 3 2005, 07:41 AM)

There's always one good explanation for tidy circular impressions -- craters. In the absence of any other data, I'd guess it's a very small crater from a very small impactor.

I bet the rock is pretty soft or unconsolidated, though, to record a crater so nicely without being blown to bits by such an impact...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 3 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 3 2005, 11:30 AM)

There's always one good explanation for tidy circular impressions -- craters. In the absence of any other data, I'd guess it's a very small crater from a very small impactor.

I bet the rock is pretty soft or unconsolidated, though, to record a crater so nicely without being blown to bits by such an impact...

-the other Doug

Any impactor small enough to make a crater that small would certainly have burned up in the martian atmosphere. This is the sort of impact feature that may exist on the Moon, but never Mars.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 3 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #14

Administrator

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post May 3 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 180

QUOTE (JRehling @ May 3 2005, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 3 2005, 11:30 AM)

-the other Doug

Any impactor small enough to make a crater that small would certainly have burned up in the martian atmosphere. This is the sort of impact feature that may exist on the Moon, but never Mars.

They've found what look like tiny craters at Opportunity's site. Sure, if it's tiny when it enters the atmosphere, the object will disintegrate quickly. But if it's large enough, a small portion of it could make it to the surface.

I place my bet that it's simply a random formation - just like how we see shapes in the clouds, we happened upon a formation that has a round imprint on it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 12:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.