Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Home, Sweet Home
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MER > Spirit
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
algorimancer
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Feb 25 2006, 06:38 PM) *
Why is the far edge of HP so *bright*?

Bob Shaw

Perhaps a slightly different perspective would be to ask why isn't the entirety of home plate similarly bright? It was certainly distinctly bright from above. I'm guessing that it's because most of the plate is covered with scattered blocks of dark basalt, which darkens the view from the side. I would speculate that a) the far edge is elevated so that we can see down onto the light surface, rather than edge-on through all those basalt chunks, and/or cool.gif the far edge is relatively free of basalt chunks. Presumably there may also be a c) it is a drift of light colored material. Hopefully we're headed that way and will find out for certain very soon smile.gif
Jeff7
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Feb 25 2006, 03:22 PM) *
Here is the Autostitched mosaic of the sol 763 MIs of the ripple on the next rock.

It looks almost like styrofoam.
kanalje
Yes, it looks a bit like some type of honeycomb layered structuring.
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Feb 25 2006, 01:05 AM) *
(bottom entry on this page) looks like another completely different terrain, and I can't help but think it is a remnant of even more ancient layers which were uplifted with the hills, and which escaped burial by the basalt which flooded the crater. I don't know if there might be any of the postulated lake bed sediments there, but whatever it is, it seems to be something completely different from anything we've seen in Gusev so far. From what I have been able to find on the web and what I have heard on the street, the Promised Land does sound like it is a target that is seriously being contemplated.

After this home run, and the survival through one more Martian winter, the PL becomes my next hoped-for Holy Grail. The viability of this area as the next target might be a good question to ask someone in the know, the next time an opportunity arises. wink.gif

Good idea, maybe, when Spirit reaches the summit of McCool, it would be able to visualize better the surface of Promised Land before to decide to go down during the Spring times with the favorable slope toward South side.

Rodolfo
Jeff7
I still just find this idea amusing, that our little robot needs to find a safe place to spend the winter. Run little critter, run!
alan
765 p2277.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_drive_dir_cw_4x1_L7R1
765 p2278.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_drive_dir_ccw_4x1_L7R1

cw = clockwise, ccw = counterclockwise ?

Must not have time to cover both so they are trying to determine which direction is more interesting.
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Feb 26 2006, 06:11 PM) *
I still just find this idea amusing, that our little robot needs to find a safe place to spend the winter. Run little critter, run!

Think of the Pancams she can make of "the ballfield" from McCool Hill. As well as checking out other layered outcrops. Spirit is _not_ going to be a snowbird over the Winter. biggrin.gif

--Bill
MaxSt
There is a nice crater on top of McCool Hill...
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (alan @ Feb 26 2006, 07:10 PM) *
765 p2277.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_drive_dir_cw_4x1_L7R1
765 p2278.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 pancam_drive_dir_ccw_4x1_L7R1

cw = clockwise, ccw = counterclockwise ?

Must not have time to cover both so they are trying to determine which direction is more interesting.
Hehe, I thought that was curious also. I hadn't seen cw and ccw on the tracking site before. If it is the same set from left to right and right to left, it doesn't make sense, unless they are testing something that is obscure. Is that the same drive, two consecutive drives, or a drive followed by a spin? What's with all of the "unexpected sequences" lately?

You know you are a Mars junkie when you download a bunch of pancam thumbnails to make a set of color thumbnail composites of the recent brushings. cool.gif You know who you are. smile.gif
Reckless
Hi all could the cw and ccw be to test the pancam mast. Maybe they suspect that the motor is more efficient in one direction than the other?
Of course they maybe would not actually have to take the pictures to test this, but hey it's early in the morning for me.

Roy F
Tesheiner
The exploratorium is not working again, the MER webpage doesn't update too often (imho), and now the tracking web also has its own issues...

All those "unexpected sequences" refer to imaging activity which has actually been executed but simply can't be associated to a sequence name e.g. navcam_5x1_...

Desciphering the activity of last two sols (names in parenthesis are my additions)

CODE
764 p1201.22 0   0   0   0   0   0    Unexpected sequence!!!! (front_haz_penultimate_1_bpp_pri_17)
764 p1206.06 0   0   0   0   0   0    Unexpected sequence!!!! (front_hazcam_half_bpp_pri_16)
764 p1212.07 0   0   0   0   0   0    Unexpected sequence!!!! (front_haz_ultimate_2_bpp_pri15)
764 p1312.09 0   0   0   0   0   0    Unexpected sequence!!!! (ultimate_rear_hazcam_2_bpp_pri15)
764 p2111.05 13  13  0   0   2   28   pancam_cal_targ_L234567Rall
764 p2589.15 13  0   0   13  2   28   pancam_Monarchs_Crawfords_Stars_L234567Rall
764 p2600.07 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau
764 p2600.07 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau
764 p2631.01 11  0   0   0   2   13   pancam_sky_spot_L234567R34567

Sol 764 was a driving day. Site ID changed from AODQ to AOG2.

CODE
765 p0625.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    Unexpected sequence!!!! (navcam_5x1_az_...)
765 p2277.05 8   0   0   8   2   18   pancam_drive_dir_cw_4x1_L7R1
765 p2278.05 8   0   0   8   2   18   pancam_drive_dir_ccw_4x1_L7R1
765 p2600.07 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau
765 p2600.07 2   2   0   0   2   6    pancam_tau
765 p2631.01 11  0   0   0   2   13   pancam_sky_spot_L234567R34567
765 p2665.06 1   1   0   0   1   3    pancam_phobos_transit_tau_R8
765 p2666.06 25  25  0   0   0   50   pancam_phobos_transit_R8

A 180º navcam mosaic (5x1) to document the drive, and two "drive-direction" pancams.
djellison
The clockwise images are down, but not on EXP, ditto the post-brushing lookbacks

Doug
Tesheiner
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 27 2006, 11:12 AM) *
The clockwise images are down

Mmm, Spirit seems to no longer be on the top, right?
Tesheiner
If found the answer myself.

Some features to the left of the following picture can be seen on the post-drive images (Doug's previous post), so I would place Spirit on the cyan ellipse in this annotated mosaic from sol 744.

Click to view attachment (165k)

The journey to McCool Hill seems to have started.

Edit: Updated picture, based on the hazcams.
Exploitcorporations
Hi, guys. I've come over to the dark side. You made an addict out of me.

Sol 762 Pancam autostitch:Click to view attachment

Analgyph:Click to view attachment
djellison
When you're stitching one of these little previews off the Pancam track site, stop and think for a moment.

They're 200 x 200 pixels right

Pathfinder, in full res, was only 50 pixels bigger than that smile.gif

Doug
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 27 2006, 12:00 PM) *
If found the answer myself.

Some features to the left of the following picture can be seen on the post-drive images (Doug's previous post), so I would place Spirit on the cyan ellipse in this annotated mosaic from sol 744.

Click to view attachment (163k)

The journey to McCool Hill seems to have started.

Very convincing quote. I agree with the new position. So, they used the same "ramp" on the way to the top and back. I don't remember who guessed they needed some analysis of the top end to better understand the whole thing, and I think he was rigth. So now, can cw and ccw been related to the way they're gona circle HP ?
djellison
I assume that's the decision to be made - personally, I'd go CW, looks much more manageable.

Doug
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 27 2006, 12:26 PM) *
When you're stitching one of these little previews off the Pancam track site, stop and think for a moment.

They're 200 x 200 pixels right

Pathfinder, in full res, was only 50 pixels bigger than that smile.gif

Doug

You're right Doug, when I show to my firends the actual pictures coming down, they ALL feel they are there. Pathfinder's looks more kind of "artificial" to me now. I also remember how people were excited by the "Twin Peaks" and even thought they could reach for them for a while (!) wheel.gif . The closer was sitting about 600 meters from Carl Sagan's memorial and now, when you think of what both Spirit and Oppy have roved, 600 meters is nothing as a distance even it the terrain was a lot roughter there. We have a hell of good babies there. I just can't imagine what MSL will be able to do. This is very exiting.
Gilles
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 27 2006, 11:23 AM) *

I'm sure we will feel your presence!

Bob Shaw
Tesheiner
I think going cw or ccw will mostly depend on the time constraints.
If they really want to make the full circle they should go ccw; if there is no time to do that, cw should be the option, enough to have a look to HP's west side and then "run to the hills".
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 27 2006, 12:36 PM) *
I assume that's the decision to be made - personally, I'd go CW, looks much more manageable.

Doug

If a voting session is what you're looking for, I'll go the same way! Seams easier and will get closer to Pitcher Mount.
djellison
Looking back down to the tracks
Bob Shaw
Doug's panorama includes that wholly unlikely sliver of rock we saw from below - and a number of similarly sharp rocks.

Bob Shaw
Phil Stooke
Exploitcorporations said:
"Hi, guys. I've come over to the dark side. You made an addict out of me."

Join the club! Your satellite stuff has been great. Now you have two entire years of rover mosaics to catch up on...

Phil
Bill Harris
>Doug's panorama includes that wholly unlikely sliver of rock...

I'm planning to make a stereo pair of that image...

--Bill
mhoward
Here is the view in the apparant drive direction, Sol 764-765:

dvandorn
QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 27 2006, 05:23 AM) *

Actually, since we're speaking of Mars, it's more like the ochre side... which sounds somewhat unappetizingly like a side of okra, if you're not careful.

smile.gif

-the other Doug
jamescanvin
Thanks for all the comments about the Gibson pan.

Here are the two 6 x 1's of outcrops on HP from Sol 762.

Full (and half) res on my website

James
Tesheiner
The tracking web is telling that Spirit drove tosol (sol 766, new site/drive id=AP00).

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Hope to see the Exploratorium working again; cross your fingers.
Sunspot
If the images are on the ground they should be available at exploratorium...once they even appeared at expl' before the tracking site said they were down. I would say it's broken again.
jvandriel
A panoramic view of Home Plate on Sol 759 and Sol 762.

Taken with the L7 pancam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Spirit looking back on Sol 765.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel

and looking back with the L7 pancam on Sol 765.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
I don't remember if anybody already pointed those delicate (fragile?) structures seen on this sol 762 pancam.

Click to view attachment
Original image: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...QP2368L7M1.HTML
Bob Shaw
Yes - see Bill's post above in response to mine. We also saw the really strange sticky-out one from *below* when HP was first closely examined!

Bob shaw
dilo
..and this is the panorama stitch from Sol766, showing the East HP side (colorized and sharpened, 75% original scale). I love the small ripples on the right...
neb
Could that flat light colored outcrop in the ridge behind HP be a continuation of the HP layer??
jamescanvin
I know this one has been done a few times already, but I couldn't resist! It's such an amazing view - so many different rock types in view!

James
dilo
Really beautiful, James. I love the extended sky you made but I would like slightly redder dominance...
Bill Harris
QUOTE (neb @ Feb 28 2006, 05:06 PM) *
Could that flat light colored outcrop in the ridge behind HP be a continuation of the HP layer??

It appears to be. My early thoughts were that HP and the several other light-toned layered outcrops are erosional remnants of a widespread unit. Look at Alan's color image of the Inner Basin or the MOC images and these similar patches stand out. Although time was short here at HP, Spirit did get a physical and mineralogical baseline on this part of the HP Fm, and we can look at these remnants during the Snowbird Trek this Winter.

--Bill
Bobby
My first responce to this Forum regarding Mars but there is alot of new info at The Planetary Society web site regarding Both Rovers and Mars. Looks like Home Plate is a eroded down volcanic construct. Here is the web link to the Site:

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0228_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

This Forum is a Great Sorce of Info regarding The 2 Rovers.

Thanks to all who are part of it.

Bobby
jamescanvin
Thanks Bobby, lots of new info there!

Welcome to UMSF.

James
mhoward
QUOTE (Bobby @ Mar 1 2006, 10:49 PM) *

That is a great report. I just joined the Planetary Society, to support work like that.
alan
Panorama from 677
Click to view attachment
DFinfrock
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Mar 1 2006, 11:52 PM) *
Thanks Bobby, lots of new info there!

James

Yes, lots of great updates on the science and engineering aspects. But here's the best part:

"From this point on, Opportunity’s objective is to put her pedal to the metal. “We won’t stop for IDD work unless there is something really new and exciting,” said Arvidson. That includes Payson, in spite of the anticipation early on about getting to this target. “We’re very close to the outcrop on the western wall of Erebus to the north of Payson on the Mogollon Rim and we should be in the position to get to Payson next week. But it’s going to take something extraordinary for us to stop and do IDD work for two reasons: first, we are losing energy each sol and we want to get onto the plains so that we can drive as much as we can before we get to the dead of winter because we really want to get to Victoria"

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif biggrin.gif

David
jamescanvin
QUOTE (alan @ Mar 2 2006, 11:22 AM) *
Panorama from 677
Click to view attachment

Looks like alan's lost - in time! tongue.gif

Panoramas (sorry) - Mosaics from Sol 767

James
CosmicRocker
The Planetary.org update did contain some new information on HP, for which I am extremely grateful. But I really am confused by the "preferred" hypothesis "that Home Plate is part of a dissected volcanic cone that formed maybe as part of the volcanic plains, but with the magma coming up through the Columbia Hills, which may have had a little bit more moisture available, so the deposits rather than being emplaced as lavas were explosive ash deposits." It is the first part of that sentence that confuses me. Is it part of the cone, or part of the volcanic plains of ash?

I can see the H2O/ash connection, but all of the evidence available to us suggests the upper unit to be a windblown clastic rock. Are they thinking that is from the (windblown) volcanic plains, and that the lower, more-steeply dipping graded beds are from the cone? I'm glad to note they are emphasizing the "working" part of that hypothesis, since I think we really need to see the opposite side of this thing before we take a vacation.

Gosh almighty, who would ever have thought these human toys would still be providing so much fun after so many sols? smile.gif
Oersted
QUOTE (Bobby @ Mar 1 2006, 11:49 PM) *
My first responce to this Forum regarding Mars but there is alot of new info at The Planetary Society web site regarding Both Rovers and Mars. Looks like Home Plate is a eroded down volcanic construct. Here is the web link to the Site:

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0228_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

This Forum is a Great Sorce of Info regarding The 2 Rovers.

Thanks to all who are part of it.

Bobby

Thanks, great link, puts it all in perspective!
SteveM
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Mar 2 2006, 01:25 AM) *
The Planetary.org update did contain some new information on HP, for which I am extremely grateful. But I really am confused by the "preferred" hypothesis "that Home Plate is part of a dissected volcanic cone that formed maybe as part of the volcanic plains, but with the magma coming up through the Columbia Hills, which may have had a little bit more moisture available, so the deposits rather than being emplaced as lavas were explosive ash deposits." It is the first part of that sentence that confuses me. Is it part of the cone, or part of the volcanic plains of ash?

I can see the H2O/ash connection, but all of the evidence available to us suggests the upper unit to be a windblown clastic rock. Are they thinking that is from the (windblown) volcanic plains, and that the lower, more-steeply dipping graded beds are from the cone? I'm glad to note they are emphasizing the "working" part of that hypothesis, since I think we really need to see the opposite side of this thing before we take a vacation.

Tom,

Looking at the full text of that paragraph I smell an editorial / reportorial error conflating Arvidson's comments on Home Plate with a description of the nearby Pitcher's Mound. Quoting from the text further:
one primary working hypothesis seems to have emerged. “It’s kind of conical, with the top of the cone sliced off, and it makes this bright round elliptical feature that looks to me to be -- and most of the team agrees -- an eroded down volcanic construct,” Arvidson said.

That description of a cone with the top sliced off sounds more like Pitcher's Mound than Home Plate. All this will sort itself out in time.

Steve
vikingmars
A new Home Plate view !

...Well, I could NOT resist making a joke here when I saw this picture coming out this afternoon...
Of course that's from Opportunity. Geology plays tricks and makes views sometimes confusing ! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.