Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSL Video
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nprev
Hmm...curious, but probably wise for a mass audience.
ustrax
QUOTE (mars_armer @ Nov 21 2006, 07:14 PM) *
A search on youtube for "JPL MSL" came up with this:
MSL EDL Animation

That zooming out in the end, leaving MSL all alone, gives me a chill in the stomach... tongue.gif
Jim from NSF.com
QUOTE (Navin @ Mar 15 2007, 10:49 PM) *
The longer video also depicted a core sampling drill that could be used on rocks or on the "soil". The core sample (depicted from penetrating a rock) was slipped out of the bit and placed INTO the MSL for some unspecified analysis. Very cool. I hope the whole video makes it onto the web soon.

I believe that the corer no longer is part of the mission
djellison
QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 16 2007, 11:26 AM) *
leaving MSL all alone

If you feel sorry for the 3/4 ton rover with nucelar power and a frickin laser beam on its mast....what must you feel for the MER's smile.gif

Doug
ustrax
Doug...
They're grown up now, our two girls have shown to know how to take care of themselves... wink.gif
mchan
Yes!!! More of them 3/4 ton rovers with nuclear power and frickin laser beams attached to their masts!!! Throw me a bone here, I want high definition video, too!!!
As old as Voyager
QUOTE (Navin @ Mar 16 2007, 02:49 AM) *
This MSL EDL video was played tonight on stage at this Kobie Boykins presentation. It was fantastic. The video was longer and extended beyond the YouTube version to include more surface operations. It included a nice segment where the laser ablated a rock and an instrument recorded readings from the "smoke" wafting away and the hole in the rock. Spiffy demonstration.

The longer video also depicted a core sampling drill that could be used on rocks or on the "soil". The core sample (depicted from penetrating a rock) was slipped out of the bit and placed INTO the MSL for some unspecified analysis. Very cool. I hope the whole video makes it onto the web soon.

Kobie Boykins is a MER solar panel designer. Someone in the audience remarked that the MSL video showed no solar panels. He responded (paraphrased): "No. No solar panels. I'll let you speculate on what its power source is, since I'm not allowed to publicly discuss it yet." wink.gif

Laser sampling of a martian rock and core drilling by MSL are seen as part of the following Sky at Night extended Mars special. They may be from the same simulation as mentioned above and look pretty cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spacegu.../proginfo.shtml
gpurcell
Sure gives a sense of just how radical the Skycrane concept is.

That's got to be the most "science-fictiony" thing I've ever seen bent into metal.
As old as Voyager
Upon seeing the MSL rover in simulations I'm always struck by just how scorpion-like the thing looks. That inclined rear RTG really gives it a sting in the tail and the whole thing looks quite menacing, like it'd eat Sojourner for breakfast!
Stephen
QUOTE (mars_armer @ Nov 22 2006, 06:14 AM) *
A search on youtube for "JPL MSL" came up with this:
MSL EDL Animation

Came across this student project version of MSL's EDL sequence on Youtube (done "a few years ago"): Re: MSL EDL.

======
Stephen
gpurcell
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I love the Firefly style camera work in the JPL animation....
Toma B
Just find this...
Mars Science Laboratory Mission Animation - May 25, 2007
MSL animations
nprev
Thanks, Toma! smile.gif

Man...LOTS of moving parts on this critter...
Toma B
I like that Hollywood-style action camera movement in and out of rover... smile.gif
Stu
Just watched the animation (a loooong download on dialup, but worth it! Thanks for the link!) and a whole range of thoughts went thru my mind...

Watching the initial descent: Wow, that's amazing!!

Watching the Skycrane part: *****!!! Are they INSANE?!?!?!?!?! They're really going to DO that?!?!?!?! Hang it beneath a rocket platform like something off Thunderbirds?!?!?! Are they NUTS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Watching the surface operations: oh, can't wait for that...

Watching the rover hang its head and go to sleep at the end of a sol: awwwwwwww........

Watching the rock sample going through the works: if THAT all works it'll be a miracle...

Watching the closing sequence as the dusty rover rolls away: I want that. Now.
RedSky
The whole suspend and release process really scares me. I remember a probable cause for the Mars Polar Lander's failure was when the landing gear extended the "bump" that created may have been interpreted as touchdown, so the engines cut off while still at altitude. I can see a similar tug or bump possibly happening to MSL while in suspended state (from air turbulence, swinging, or reaching the bottom of the cable reel-out.)

I don't know why the "skycrane" (in basically its same configuration), couldn't just have landing leg extensions (straddling MSL) and actually land (eliminating the MSL hanging in air). Once landed, MSL could just be similarly reeled down a few inches to the surface, cut loose, and then drive away. That way, they still have their immediately rovable rover, without the dangerous in-air suspension.
gallen_53
QUOTE (Stu @ May 30 2007, 01:35 PM) *
Watching the Skycrane part: [i]*****!!! Are they INSANE?!?!?!?!?! They're really going to DO that?!?!?!?!

You are not alone in your assessment of Skycrane. What's really nuts is the future of the Mars Program may depend upon the success of MSL.
djellison
QUOTE (RedSky @ May 30 2007, 04:20 PM) *
Once landed, MSL could just be similarly reeled down a few inches to the surface, cut loose, and then drive away. That way, they still have their immediately rovable rover, without the dangerous in-air suspension.

I think you would end up with a lot of rocket exhaust and high velocity dust impinging on the rover if you did that. The MPL failure was, so they think, a software fault. A line of code would have fixed it - there's little analogous to MSL with the MPL failure really.

And yes - MSL EDL looks crazy. Not as crazy as MPF and MER though.

Doug
gallen_53
QUOTE (djellison @ May 30 2007, 04:01 PM) *
And yes - MSL EDL looks crazy. Not as crazy as MPF and MER though.

There's a fine line in spacecraft design between aggressive and crazy. MPF and MER were both very aggressive designs. In addition, I would call MER an aggressive but excellent design. Unfortunately, the less said about MSL the better....
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (gallen_53 @ May 30 2007, 06:00 AM) *
You are not alone in your assessment of Skycrane. What's really nuts is the future of the Mars Program may depend upon the success of MSL.

I could have covered up the member name of this post and still have guessed that Gary is back biggrin.gif
gallen_53
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ May 30 2007, 04:31 PM) *
I could have covered up the member name of this post and still have guessed that Gary is back

Alex, I never really left. I've been too busy working to do anything other than lurk here.

Have you been involved in the latest Mars Design Reference Mission (DRM)? They tried to suck me into it but the activity is unfunded (that says something). I'd like to be more involved with the DRM but can't justify taking time off from funded work.
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (gallen_53 @ May 30 2007, 06:47 AM) *
I'd like to be more involved with the DRM but can't justify taking time off from funded work.

I'm not sure about NASA Ames but I believe JPL has a special financial code (like 999999 or something) for recording work time on "funding: uncertain" projects, aka "The Land of No Return." biggrin.gif
gallen_53
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ May 30 2007, 05:41 PM) *
I'm not sure about NASA Ames but I believe JPL has a special financial code (like 999999 or something) for recording work time on "funding: uncertain" projects, aka "The Land of No Return."

About three years ago I was doing pre-Phase-A interplanetary work almost full time. Now, almost all of that has dried up. What little pre-Phase-A work that I'm still doing is unfunded, e.g. the occasional Venus and Saturn atmospheric probe. We were hoping that the Mars DRM would bring in more money but that was not the case. From my perspective there is nothing in the pipe line.

The last interesting pre-Phase-A work that I was involved in was the "CEMMENT" study. CEMMENT was essentially a Mars Sample Return mission based upon an Ares-V launch vehicle and aerocapture at Mars. The bottom line for CEMMENT was $10 billion dollars riding on a single launch.

I'm not optimistic about what's going to happen at JPL after MSL reaches its logical conclusion. It's like there's a curtain hanging over the end of 2008 and no one can see past it. I guess it all depends on what the next President has in mind for the Space Program and whether there is any money to achieve it.
Juramike
Is there any possibility of mounting instrumentation (weather instruments, seismometer, etc.) on the "platform" section of the descent stage without making things too complicated?

Seems reasonable to expect that it could make a fairly soft landing and might make a nice local cross reference to data from the MSL as it wanders around.

(Imagine the PR release as the MSL comes roving into view.)

-Mike
Jim from NSF.com
QUOTE (Juramike @ May 30 2007, 03:30 PM) *
Is there any possibility of mounting instrumentation (weather instruments, seismometer, etc.) on the "platform" section of the descent stage without making things too complicated?

Seems reasonable to expect that it could make a fairly soft landing and might make a nice local cross reference to data from the MSL as it wanders around.

(Imagine the PR release as the MSL comes roving into view.)

-Mike

It isn't going to make a "soft" landing. It will have no power nor telemetry or even a spacecraft computer.

Also, MSL will probably avoid the descent stage since it will be leaking hydrazine
dvandorn
Jim, I think the suggestion is that the descent stage *could* be programmed to right itself and lower itself gently. It has to have *some* amount of control function in it, since it has to indepedently maneuver itself away from the rover after it cuts the cables.

I wonder just how much mass might be available for a very small science package and a small transmitter that would relay meteorological and/or seismic data back to the rover, and thence through MRO back to Earth? You'd need some light, simple instruments, a small transmitter and a small antenna. How much would that weigh? And how much mass could MSL stand to be added to the overall package?

I don't think anyone really believes that such a capability will seriously be considered, but it's OK to at least think about it...

-the other Doug
Jim from NSF.com
QUOTE (RedSky @ May 30 2007, 11:20 AM) *
I don't know why the "skycrane" (in basically its same configuration), couldn't just have landing leg extensions (straddling MSL) and actually land (eliminating the MSL hanging in air). Once landed, MSL could just be similarly reeled down a few inches to the surface, cut loose, and then drive away. That way, they still have their immediately rovable rover, without the dangerous in-air suspension.

The "legs" would have to have a shock absorbsion system and able to handle uneven terrain. Also, they would have to be folded and then deployed adding more failure modes.

Basically, the descent stage is landing a few meters above the surface.

It is doing exactly like you said
"Once landed, MSL could just be ....reeled down a few inches to the surface, cut loose, and then drive away"

That's what it is doing, just without a gap between landing and lowering
hendric
QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 30 2007, 06:59 PM) *
I don't think anyone really believes that such a capability will seriously be considered, but it's OK to at least think about it...

This is complex enough, adding more weight and requirements is just not going to happen. Maybe the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Mars crane, but not the first. Gotta run before you fly.

If we want a seismometer, the best way to do that is to deploy a network, and that doesn't look likely any time soon with the demise of Netlander. This would be a great Mars Scout mission, if it could be made cheap enough, with just a dead simple imager and seismometers. 4 landers would give good coverage, with the option of putting one or two in "challenging" but beautiful locations.
Toma B
QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ May 31 2007, 01:52 AM) *
Also, MSL will probably avoid the descent stage since it will be leaking hydrazine

Are you sure about that...
As I understand it , skycrane will fly away quite fast up and away after releasing MSL lander ,suddenly lightened by about 700 kg...whooosh! blink.gif
When it runs out of fuel ,poor thing will have some hight and speed so when it crashes it will burst any hydrazine reservoirs that may contain some residue of fuel...
Why do you think it will be dangerous for MSL lander to go near crashed skycrane even if it had some hydrazine left in its reservoirs as long as it doesn't fire its "laser weapon" on it ? I would like to see that thing on Mars seen through the eyes of MSL... pancam.gif
Jim from NSF.com
Any residual propellant or products could contaminate the science instruments
djellison
I think the MSL decent stage will be given the same sort of treatment as the MER backshell and chute....keep away. Although Mastcam might get us a nice shot from 100m away smile.gif

Doug
mchan
B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ May 31 2007, 12:08 AM) *

its "laser weapon"
[/quote]
Must have watched too many bad sci-fi movies years ago as one of my first thoughts was Marvin would probably suffer sudden incontinence were he to see MSL drive over the top of a dune towards him.

Curious on the significance of "53" in members tim53 and gallen_53. Maybe it's 42 equivalent in the professional UMSF community.
dvandorn
As long as MSL has a laser and not an ACME disintegrating gun, we're OK. We all know that when you pull the trigger of an ACME disintegrating gun -- it disintegrates!

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
Ron Hobbs
New animations have been posted. They look pretty good. smile.gif

Link to JPL Release

Ron
djellison
Wow - time warp thread. Who would have thought I'd end up at the technical director for that animation :0

Fairly pleased with the end result. And yeah - it has sounds-in-space syndrome, but that part wasn't my doing smile.gif
charborob
Is that Gale crater in the animation? Also, too bad the video doesn't show the skycrane crashing after leaving the rover.
KrisK
Fantastic!!! I noticed that just before SA/SPaH was moved Mastcam had been pointed right. I suppose the reason is to make free space for robotic arm, am I correct?
djellison
QUOTE (charborob @ Jun 24 2011, 06:21 PM) *
Is that Gale crater in the animation?

No - it's a HiRISE DTM, but not one of the 4 final candidates.

Also, too bad the video doesn't show the skycrane crashing after leaving the rover.

Can you imagine the feedback if we did? A smouldering wreck with fuming hydrazine? A very expensive shot to model and animate as well. Not showing that was a very easy decision.

QUOTE (KrisK)
I suppose the reason is to make free space for robotic arm, am I correct?

Yup - it's to avoid a potential clearance issue when returning the arm back to stow or for sample delivery. Well spotted smile.gif
Explorer1
I do see a dust devil at one point; at least that's what I think it is? Nice touch.
eoincampbell
Is a certain direction and distance from Curiosity expected of the landed descent stage, besides "far away" ?
djellison
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jun 24 2011, 07:37 PM) *
I do see a dust devil at one point; at least that's what I think it is? Nice touch.

No, you don't. The odd gust of dust to keep it from being all too static - but not a DD.

QUOTE (eoincampbell @ Jun 24 2011, 07:43 PM) *
Is a certain direction and distance from Curiosity expected of the landed descent stage, besides "far away" ?

From http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/handle/2014/41629 - Page 12 specifically

CODE
Once the flyaway controller on the DS assumes control, it
first holds the current altitude for 187 msec to allow
sufficient time for the umbilical to be cut.  After the
requisite hold time, the MLEs throttle up and the DS
ascends vertically for a predetermined amount of time.  
Then, the DS begins to execute a turn to approximately 45
pitch.  The DS holds this attitude with the MLEs at 100%
until the fuel depletes.  The hold, ascent, and turn take place
within 2 seconds, and the remaining time is variable
depending on the amount of fuel remaining.  The DS will
then ballistically fall to the surface at a distance of at least
150 m from the Rover

I would expect it to be significantly further than that. Perhaps 10x.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (charborob @ Jun 24 2011, 05:21 PM) *
Also, too bad the video doesn't show the skycrane crashing after leaving the rover.

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 24 2011, 07:20 PM) *
Can you imagine the feedback if we did? A smouldering wreck with fuming hydrazine? A very expensive shot to model and animate as well. Not showing that was a very easy decision.

While I imagine it was an easy decision not to show the thing wrecking in detail, I have to own up to the fact that I wish the shot of it arcing away from the rover ended a little bit later, after it disappeared behind the horizon, followed a second later by a little "pfft" of dust, Wile E. Coyote style smile.gif

I enjoyed the lovingly detailed shot of the MarsDial and the rover tai chi!
eoincampbell
Cheers Doug, thanks for the link, lots of Curious goodness in that pdf !
djellison
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 24 2011, 09:56 PM) *
I have to own up to the fact that I wish the shot of it arcing away from the rover ended a little bit later, after it disappeared behind the horizon, followed a second later by a little "pfft" of dust, Wile E. Coyote style smile.gif

So do I smile.gif

When it premiered infront of 400 members of the MSL project - that moment got a brilliant reaction - exactly the same reaction as you could hear in the background audio of the Mars Odyssey launch when a forward looking rocket-cam cut out the very second the upper stage was due to ignite after 3rd stage sep.

Explorer1
Well, MSL could do a nice hardware survey like with Oppy's heatshield (if it's not too long a detour of time and distance from the planned science of course). Though ground conditions will prove whether its even possible in the first place.
djellison
Not of the descent stage. It will have leaked hydrazine and other ugly compounds after crashing. I would expect them to give it an exceptionally wide berth.

Heatshield, sure.
Backshell and Parachute - from a distance >> the length of all the lines and the chute.
Six impact craters from ballast ejected before 'chute deployment - why not.

But not the descent stage.
tbruckner
Very nice animation. One question: shortly before atmospheric entry there are two little L-shaped blocks separating from the capsule. What's that?
Astro0
From the document posted by djellison above... page 4.

...Approximately 5 minutes before entry interface, two external cruise balance masses are jettisoned to create an offset center of gravity...

...In contrast to the spin stabilized entries of MER and Mars Pathfinder (MPF), MSL utilizes an offset center of mass to create a nominal 18degree angle of attack through peak heating and dynamic pressure, increasing to a 20degree angle of attack just prior to parachute deployment. This angle of attack generates lift which is used to reduce the landing error ellipse size and increase the parachute deploy altitude.

Lots more exciting facts to be found in that document smile.gif
nprev
VERY nice animation, Doug. Kay & I just watched it utterly spellbound; well done! smile.gif
Oersted
I remember discussing the fate of the skycrane with MarsEngineer on this forum a good while ago, and to my recollection he said something like that, sure, if they had time for it they might try to program a soft landing into it... Not a priority though, and since it doesn't really serve a purpose, apart from pollution mitigation, it probably wont happen. Would be neat if they tried though.

Love the animation! The only things I didn't quite like were the flyby sounds in space (I can live with the mechanical sounds and the thruster ones, since those events actually transmit sound through the structure of the spacecraft), the lack of an ionized trail through the atmosphere and the somewhat tinny sound of the skycrane rockets. I think it will be a good deal more deep and throaty in reality. The rest of the animation is top notch and you even showed us parachute deploy, which was something Maas edited out very niftily for the MER edl animation.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.