Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voyager 1 images of Earth
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Voyager and Pioneer
Pages: 1, 2
um3k
I know for a fact that Voyager 1 took at least one picture of Earth. Does anyone have any idea where raw data can be found? Or any data at all, for that matter? The only online image I can find is this one: http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00013
um3k
Yeah, I already know about that one. I'm looking for much closer ones.
tedstryk
I don't know if closer ones exist. I have searched for the raw data for the earth moon shot, but haven't found it.

Ted
djellison
I did the same - strangely the Voyager data sets dont start "0001" they start "0006" - and I'm guessing the first 5 are infact calib, checkout, and the images we're talking about.

Doug
um3k
I'm pretty sure I've seen closer images somewhere, but where, well, I have no idea. Then again, maybe I'm just confused. I know Mariner 10 took closeup images of Earth, maybe that's what I saw. But still...

*In case I implied otherwise, I'm also looking for Voyager 2 images of Earth.
PhilCo126
Did the GALILEO spacecraft take such an image as well?
djellison
Just a few smile.gif

http://www.solarviews.com/cap/earth/earthgal.htm
tedstryk
Galileo took far more image data during its Earth flybys than it was able to return from Jupiter.
deglr6328
And some of the most interesting images of earth from deep space probes contain almost no detail of the planet at all.... (imho) smile.gif

Analyst
This is the problem with the older missions, there is not so much online but in real libraries etc. I am still loocking for Voyager press kits and other documents online, but not much luck so far.

I am sure the raws of the famous Earth-Moon shot are at some place, they have to be. The Earth-Moon pictures were only made by Voyager 1 (launched second), the reference for this is an old issue of National Geographic (1990) from the Neptune encounter. The idea to take a picture with both bodies came after the launch of Voyager 2, Ed Stone said there. Maybe there are shots from greater distance (optical navigation or check out) from both probes, but a far as I know close ups exist only made by Voyager 1.

A great source for Voyager pictures is:

http://pds-rings.seti.org/catalog/vgriss.html

But there is nothing you are looking for.

Analyst

Btw. deglr6328: What does this picture show and which craft made it?
djellison
I think it's the Galileo laser-comms experiment.

Doug
deglr6328
yes, it is the GOPEX test. smile.gif
ups

Enhanced version of the original Voyager image of Earth.

Perspective.

---ups
ljk4-1
Hey, I can see my house!

Did you remove the sunbeam purposely? Or did it just disappear when you enhanced it?

Your image certainly brings home the Pale Blue Dot theme.

At the distance Voyager 1 was from Earth in 1990, what would our planet's relative
magnitude be?
ups
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jul 1 2006, 07:37 PM) *
Hey, I can see my house!

Did you remove the sunbeam purposely? Or did it just disappear when you enhanced it?

Your image certainly brings home the Pale Blue Dot theme.

At the distance Voyager 1 was from Earth in 1990, what would our planet's relative
magnitude be?

I just kept tinkering until I was able to make the 'background' around earth nice and dark -- then I tried to bring out a bit of the pale blue that was imaged by Voyager.

I would hate to try and guess what the earth's magnitude would be if one was riding 'on board' Voyager -- I would think right around 0.0 [neither negative nor positive] but I will leave this to someone more versed in the relative brightness of celestial objects.
PhilCo126
So it was Voyager 1 which turned its camera back to the planets and took the 60 photo mosaic ( 39 wide-angle and 21 narrow-angle images ) photo now known as the 'Family portrait of the solar system' ... Pale Blue dot press meeting of June 1990.
ngunn
QUOTE (ups @ Jul 1 2006, 06:30 PM) *
Enhanced version of the original Voyager image of Earth.

That's so clear I'm surprised the moon isn't visible as well.
As old as Voyager
Here's a link to JPL's Solar System Simulator that shows the location of the Moon as seen by Voyager 1 on the day it took the 'Pale Blue Dot' image.

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspace?t...=1&showsc=1

It brings home just how unresolvable the Moon would appear on the image!
Jyril
Hardly surprising, as the Moon is far smaller and far darker than our planet.

BTW, the crescent view of the Earth and the Moon is the first of its kind.
JRehling
QUOTE (ups @ Jul 2 2006, 11:53 PM) *
I would hate to try and guess what the earth's magnitude would be if one was riding 'on board' Voyager

Half Venus has a magnitude of -4 from about 1 AU. Earth is about 1/4 the brightness of Venus. When Voyager was about 30 AU out, it would be 1/900 dimmer still. 1/3600 of Venus's brightness is 9 magnitudes dimmer, so a half Earth as seen from Voyager (Neptune) would be about a +5 magnitude object. A lot brighter than Neptune is, seen from Earth, since Earth is so much closer to a light source.

Interestingly, that means the planets "visible" to the human eye from Neptune would include Venus, Earth, Jupiter, and Saturn... probably not Uranus, which would show a crescent except when it was very far away.
tedstryk
Other than from Mariner 10

http://www.solarviews.com/raw/earth/em.jpg
peter59
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ May 6 2007, 03:14 PM) *
So it was Voyager 1 which turned its camera back to the planets and took the 60 photo mosaic ( 39 wide-angle and 21 narrow-angle images ) photo now known as the 'Family portrait of the solar system' ... Pale Blue dot press meeting of June 1990.

I can't find these raw images at PDS. Family portrait of the Solar system was taken by Voyager 1 on February 14, 1990. I found here last image taken by Voyager 2 on September 29, 1989. I hope that they are not lost.
Deeman
Hi there,

Found that one in my Archives .To be honest, I dont know whether its Voyager I or II .Shame on me ! sad.gif

Dirk,

Click to view attachment

elakdawalla
It's Voyager 1, captured on September 18, 1977.

I just checked with a friend at the Rings Node and he said that since neither the 1977 or 1990 images were part of an "encounter," they weren't part of the archiving process that sent data to the PDS. However, he expressed confidence that the data was lying around JPL somewhere, and said he'd check into it.

--Emily
Ken90000
That is exciting news. I would love to see the dataset that included those post-launch Earth and Moon shots. Likewise, I believe Voyager imaged Mars as it crossed it’s orbit. That would be a fun group of images to see as well.
tasp
Has anyone ever seen an image of the flat white optical calibration plate ?

I realize the picture would be a white blob, but we had a thread a while back about probes that had photographed themselves. As bad as that Voyager image would be, detail wise, it still counts.

smile.gif

PhilCo126
I have a large collection of Voyager Press Kits, so I guess I'll have to make these available in .pdf as soon as possible ;-)
What I'm also interested in are the videos produced by KCET Public Television network which ran a nightly "Jupiter Watch" show during the months February and March 1979... about time someone put those on YouTube !
Ken90000
QUOTE (tasp @ Aug 25 2008, 04:46 PM) *
Has anyone ever seen an image of the flat white optical calibration plate ?
smile.gif

You can find images of the optical calibration plate at the PDS as well. There are some examples on nearly all of the volumes. They are labeled “CALIBRATION PLAQUE”.

Remember, even the wide angle camera had a relativity narrow field of view. Therefore, the image only includes a small part of the plaque. The imaged just look like a flat white field with a few imperfections caused by the camera itself.

Paolo
Voyager Celebrates 20-Year-Old Valentine to Solar System
dear JPL, what about releasing the raw data?
elakdawalla
Patience, young grasshopper! And stay tuned. smile.gif
PDP8E
Dear JPL data archivists,

Can we please see the raw images of the Pale Blue Dot now?
Its been 22 years! blink.gif

Both my daughters (one finishing college and one about to go) were both born after 1990!
..and the computers we have now have speeds greater than 16Mhz, and with memory space greater than 32Meg <really!>

<well...except for my still running 1974 DEC PDP8 with a blazing clock speed of 1.2Mhz and 24KILO-bytes of core memory....>
machi
"Can we please see the raw images of the Pale Blue Dot now?"

That would be nice.
BTW, some images from beginning of mission are unavailable too. For example famous images of Earth and Moon.
ugordan
QUOTE (machi @ May 11 2012, 12:01 PM) *
For example famous images of Earth and Moon.

I'd like to get my hands on those as well.
JohnVV
---edit---
nprev
John, I think he's referring to the V1(?) post-launch shot of the Earth & Moon in the same frame.
machi
QUOTE (nprev @ May 12 2012, 12:11 AM) *
...I think he's referring to the V1(?) post-launch shot of the Earth & Moon in the same frame.

Yes, that's it. wink.gif

QUOTE (JohnVV @ May 11 2012, 11:05 PM) *

It wasn't and still I don't see it in archive. Two known sets of images are missing in archive. 1990's well known "Family portrait" and 1977's images of the Earth and Moon.
And of course, it's possible that there are some other, generally unknown images.
I think, that is good idea to digitally archive all older NASA's data and make them online, because classic magnetic tapes or even papers are not very safe. For some older data, even people from NASA archives don't know, where they are.
For example, original digital raw images from Mariner 4, or digital raw data from Pioneer 10 and 11 imaging photopolarimeters.
PDP8E
Here is the published 'earth & moon' image from Voyager 1 (1977)
Click to view attachment

source:
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/photo_gallery/p...-earthmoon.html

click on the 'caption' link for interesting comments

um3k
Emily! I saw your presentation on the Voyager 35th video, can't wait to see the full set of images! After 6 years, this thread will finally have closure.
elakdawalla
smile.gif I have the data, but am still not sure if I'm permitted to post it or not. It's been a while since I've asked about this, so I'll ping them again.
um3k
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 7 2012, 11:48 AM) *
smile.gif I have the data, but am still not sure if I'm permitted to post it or not. It's been a while since I've asked about this, so I'll ping them again.

No pressure, it's just good to know it hasn't vanished, and that there are now backups. smile.gif
PaulH51
QUOTE (um3k @ Sep 8 2012, 06:43 AM) *
No pressure, it's just good to know it hasn't vanished, and that there are now backups. smile.gif

Did the raw images every get released? smile.gif
Astroboy
Will we ever see the cruise data? I'm as interested in the cruise observations of the gas giants as I am in the Earth departure sequence and Pale Blue Dot.

Astroboy
QUOTE (JohnVV @ Apr 18 2016, 04:54 AM) *
all the voyager and mirrors EDR's and RDR's
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/volumes/vo...tml#vgrISSEDR-J

Has anyone had any luck opening the files ending in .0xx in the Quick Look EDR folders? I didn't have any luck finding the Earth pics anywhere else but I'm sure they're buried somewhere in the EDRs.
peter59
QUOTE (Astroboy @ Apr 19 2016, 01:40 AM) *
but I'm sure they're buried somewhere in the EDRs.

You're wrong, they are not here.
peter59
QUOTE (Astroboy @ Apr 19 2016, 12:40 AM) *
Has anyone had any luck opening the files ending in .0xx in the Quick Look EDR folders? I didn't have any luck finding the Earth pics anywhere else but I'm sure they're buried somewhere in the EDRs.

I'm sorry Astroboy, but I'm wrong. I did not notice when PDS released Voyager's Quick Look EDR files. I'm writing a program that will view this data set. This is my first attempt to obtain the image IP_101.002 (still imperfect).
Click to view attachment
When I finish the program, I will download all volumes VGR_1201 - VGR_1247 and I will look through all the images.
elakdawalla
Hmm. I had not noticed those, either. You can download them, change their extensions to raw, and open them in Photoshop with a width of 1280 and a height of 801. The couple of examples I've looked at so far don't look like cruise data, they look like encounter data, but according to the readme files there should be cruise data lurking in there somewhere.
Astroboy
^ I tried your method in ImageJ and it worked splendidly. Thanks Emily! The search is on!
Astroboy
Never thought I'd be the person to give this decade-old thread some sense of finality. I still can't find the Earth and Moon pics, but here, finally, is the complete set of raw family portrait images in chronological order:

http://imgur.com/a/l29lA/all

The original files are 055560.023 through 0055590.010 in the QEDR volume VGR_1223.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.