Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hubble images Uranus and Ariel !
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Uranus and Neptune
Roby72
Hello all !

The HST has captured a rare event in the Uranian system - a shadow transit of one of its moons !
In this case the moon Ariel transits:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/...2006/42/image/a

Robert
remcook
Uranus is nearing equinox. New science is coming up! smile.gif
tedstryk
As for the size comparison, the 8th grader in me couldn't help but laugh at the chance to compare the size of Uranus and the Moon rolleyes.gif
MarcF
This is really a great picture ! And it is just the beginning.
The coming years might really be interesting, and this shows that Hubble is still needed.
I hope NASA will manage a mission to repare it.

Marc.
Jyril
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 31 2006, 11:29 PM) *
As for the size comparison, the 8th grader in me couldn't help but laugh at the chance to compare the size of Uranus and the Moon rolleyes.gif

Triton is a giant compared to other moons of Uranus or Neptune and it would be the largest known KBO if it didn't orbit Neptune. But our Moon is bigger still! Obvious, but still it feels weird.
PhilCo126
Superb image, it was also in the monthly CERN-Courier ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Big_Gazza
Equinox is nearing and we have no Uranus orbiter to take advantage of the opportunity, nor plans to organise one! mad.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (Big_Gazza @ Oct 13 2006, 10:18 PM) *
Equinox is nearing and we have no Uranus orbiter to take advantage of the opportunity, nor plans to organise one! mad.gif

If you had an orbiter you wouldn't need an equinox . . . .
ugordan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 13 2006, 10:29 PM) *
If you had an orbiter you wouldn't need an equinox . . . .

Yeah, you would. Otherwise you end up observing the same hemisphere of all moons for a very, very long time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.