Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit's New Adventures
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MER > Spirit
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
climber
Lyford, thank U so much, you're a true DJ (Not Doug Jellison, eh wink.gif )
Your music is perfectly timed and mixed. Nothing to impROVE
lyford
Thanks for everyone's kind words - I don't aspire to be the poor man's Gustav Holst, though perhaps the poor man's Tomita doing Gustav Holst.

I may have a few more musical ideas lying around somewhere.... and perhaps some that volcanopele would find more appropriate for inspiration- but that would be another thread. biggrin.gif

My theory is that during conjunction we were image starved and forced to draw upon inner talents to get by.... the UMSF Cultural Renaissance! (Not to be confused with Mars Renaissance Orbiter...)

Now - Back to the Rovers!

EDIT - ps - thanks for the link, james!
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (lyford @ Nov 15 2006, 10:42 AM) *
... My theory is that during conjunction we were image starved and forced to draw upon inner talents to get by.... the UMSF Cultural Renaissance! (Not to be confused with Mars Renaissance Orbiter...)

Now - Back to the Rovers! ...
Well, it is difficult for some of us to get "back to the rovers" with the dearth of images. I did grab your mp3 today, and I must say, it is amazing. Totally unexpected on this end... The remote communication sounds you used at the beginning and the SS quotes you used throughout the piece were so perfect. I have been playing it over and over again all night in the background. That was a genius piece. smile.gif It definitely made me feel better after checking the usual sources, and finding nothing new tonight. Thank you, so much.
lyford
Well, that wasn't actual telemetry... probably just an AOL dial up connection from one of my sample sets. biggrin.gif

Hmmmm.... actual telemetry.... I wonder..... wink.gif
Myran
Stu wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, I think we should declare ourselves the first true martian settlement.

Ok where do I sign up? I'm certainly there in Spirit. smile.gif
alan
Another move tomorrosol
CODE
01022 p0740.01 0   0   0   0   0   0    navcam_10x1_az_252_1_bpp
01022 p1154.02 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_idd_unstow_doc_pri15
01022 p1201.22 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_haz_penultimate_1_bpp_pri_17
01022 p1214.05 0   0   0   0   0   0    front_hazcam_ultimate_4_bpp
01022 p1301.09 0   0   0   0   0   0    penultimate_rear_hazcam_pri_17
01022 p1311.03 0   0   0   0   0   0    ultimate_rear_hazcam_pri_15
nprev
Bit late, Lyford, but like wow...that was both inspiring and hella cool! cool.gif smile.gif

The amount of sheer talent amongst the members here is astonishing...thanks for allowing a crusty old Air Force sergeant with few relevant skills to experience it all! tongue.gif
Indian3000
MI Stitch Sol 1017

Click to view attachment

Context
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/all/2/f...07P1110L0M1.JPG
alan
Another turn to the right, now in position to examine the fine layers.
Click to view attachment
Spirit also caught a cloud above McCool Hill.
Indian3000
Sol 1022

Click to view attachment
Indian3000
vertical 1cm /pix

Click to view attachment
centsworth_II
QUOTE (alan @ Nov 18 2006, 11:30 AM) *
Click to view attachment

Pull up a bit and break me off some of that, Spirit. biggrin.gif
fredk
Anyone notice that after the sol 1022 move, we appear to be at a greater tilt than before?
Click to view attachment
Of course we need to know the orientation of the tilt as well.

I always thought it was a bit odd the way they arrived at Low Ridge Haven way back when - they didn't spend much time trying to wiggle into a position with greater tilt. I guess they had enough.
helvick
[quote name='fredk' date='Nov 19 2006, 06:27 PM' post='75608'I guess they had enough. [/quote]
It was barely enough but I think they were very sure that it actually was enough and there was no point in risking making a mistake that would have put her into a potentially "power negative" situation.
jamescanvin
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 20 2006, 05:27 AM) *
Anyone notice that after the sol 1022 move, we appear to be at a greater tilt than before?

Yup, according to the rover quaternians on the tracking site (which I'm more confident about, after getting the tilt change right last time smile.gif ) we are now at 12.55 degrees tilt and angled only 8.5 degrees from north.

James
dilo
QUOTE (alan @ Nov 18 2006, 05:30 PM) *
Spirit also caught a cloud above McCool Hill.

Animation of last 3 Sols front hazcam (right):
mhoward
Sol 1022:

Nirgal
QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 19 2006, 11:33 PM) *
Animation of last 3 Sols front hazcam (right):

Good one ! Very nice "movie feeling" smile.gif
... even with clouds(?) on the clear late winter sky ...
jvandriel
For the last time biggrin.gif

here is the complete navcam panorama taken on

Sol 1010 and 1016 with the R0 navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Here is my version of the polar view of the Solar Deck.

Taken on Sol 1016 with the R0 navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Here is the complete biggrin.gif panoramic view taken

by Spirit on Sol 1022 and Sol 1024 with the L0 Navcam.

jvandriel
Nix
A QTVR of this latest pan by jvandriel smile.gif

Nico
jvandriel
Here is a self-portrait of Spirit.

Taken on Sol 1024 with the L0 Navcam.

jvandriel
jvandriel
Great movie Nix. ohmy.gif

Thanks

jvandriel
Nix
You're welcome..I found your pan to be a nice candidate for qtvr. Since I haven't been able to create much myself lately, I can at least have some fun with other people's work biggrin.gif

Nico
Stu
QUOTE (Nix @ Nov 21 2006, 12:04 PM) *
Since I haven't been able to create much myself lately, I can at least have some fun with other people's work biggrin.gif

If anyone hasn't done it yet, scroll down to the bottom then just make Spirit spin around and around! You really get the feeling you're hanging in the air above it! smile.gif

Oh. Okay, just me then... laugh.gif

Great work Nix, as usual.
Indian3000
spirit self-portrait ... sol 1024 smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Nix
You do the spin too Stu... laugh.gif

It's very easy to do though, I use pano2QTVR gui regularly with contributors' navcam pans and it does the job in a couple of minutes.

Nico
Astro0
A great 'end of day' shot from Spirit.
A quick anaglyph.
Enjoy.
Astro0
Click to view attachmentFile:161k
Nirgal
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Nov 23 2006, 07:42 AM) *
A quick anaglyph.

Very Nice !
from which Sol is this from ? (I couldn't find it among the latest exploratorium images)
Astro0
Spirit Pancam image that arrived Nov.22.

BTW - Can't find that handy Timestamp software anymore. Anyone know where it went?

Astro0

EDIT: Just as I post, James comes up with the answer. smile.gif
fredk
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Nov 23 2006, 06:42 AM) *
A quick anaglyph.

A great shot it is, Astro - only I think you got the left and right channels switched! blink.gif
mhoward
Sol 1022-1026 Navcam:

Phil Stooke
Here's the above pan in polar form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 24 2006, 12:39 AM) *
Sol 1022-1026 Navcam:

Stunning! I plugged it into FSPViewer and almost fell out of my chair!
Astro0
fredk,
You're right.
Here's the anaglyph again.
Thanks
Astro0
Click to view attachmentFile:136k
jvandriel
Here is a mosaic of Mi images taken on Sol 1027.

jvandriel
jvandriel
and an older one from Sol 1017.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Nov 24 2006, 10:36 AM) *
Here is a mosaic of Mi images taken on Sol 1027.

Blueberries? tongue.gif
mhoward
I just discovered there is a tool for web-viewing equirectangular projections that are hosted on Flickr... somebody on my Flickr page actually pointed it out to me a few weeks ago on my Flickr page but I didn't read it until now. Check it out.

Spirit Sol 1022-1026 panorama

Pity it doesn't allow zooming in a bit further, but otherwise it looks pretty sharp.
Shaka
Wow, you talk about well-rounded! Click to view attachment
These basalt grains must have been reworked for ages to get so perfect.
Even the sands of El Dorado were not so big and beautiful: Click to view attachment
Sunspot
Are you sure those are just grains? They look like something else to me...more like the Merdiani blueberries, they're encased in another material.
Shaka
Kowabunga! If those are blueberries, Sunny, you've got a major scoop, and should sit right down and write a paper!
Personally I'm sceptical. They're much smaller than Meridiani concretions and are held together with a minimum of matrix (sulfates?). I think blueberries need a resonable amount of matrix volume around each one to allow room for growth. Also the RAT brush has revealed them as very smooth, shiny and dark. They look more like obsidian than gray hematite - Dam' I wonder if they could be glass spherules from some lava fountain? Nah! Then we would see some irregular droplet or dumbell shapes as well as spheres. Only massive reworking would get them all so round and uniform in size.

Still, they look interesting to me and probably should get a full IDD analysis. Pity we can't grind into them. ohmy.gif
dvandorn
I'll also point out that a somewhat similar strata over by Home Plate read out to be quite basaltic, in keeping with the chemistry of the plains basalts. I'd like to think otherwise, but I betcha these "berries" turn out to be basaltic in content, as well.

-the other Doug
Marz
QUOTE (Shaka @ Nov 27 2006, 06:58 PM) *
Also the RAT brush has revealed them as very smooth, shiny and dark. They look more like obsidian than gray hematite - Dam' I wonder if they could be glass spherules from some lava fountain? Nah! Then we would see some irregular droplet or dumbell shapes as well as spheres. Only massive reworking would get them all so round and uniform in size.

I also thought they might be obsidian beads, especially considering the idea that homeplate is a relic from explosive volcanism. But it's strange they'd be so concentrated in one layer, and as you mentioned, shouldn't flying through the air shape them more like drops? Could thin martian air not provide enough friction to make them look like earth's analogues?

Good stuff!
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Shaka @ Nov 27 2006, 07:58 PM) *
I think blueberries need a resonable amount of matrix volume around each one to allow room for growth. Also the RAT brush has revealed them as very smooth, shiny and dark.

I'm not ready to jump on the berry bandwagon but... if berries, we are not necessarily seeing them in the matrix in which they formed. They could be free berries cemented together. Also, I remember seeing smooth, shiny berries in a trench dug by Opportunity in Eagle crater.
Nirgal
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 23 2006, 09:52 PM) *

Thanks, james.

of course I couldn't resist this one:
wink.gif

Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 28 2006, 12:22 AM) *
I'll also point out that a somewhat similar strata over by Home Plate read out to be quite basaltic, in keeping with the chemistry of the plains basalts. I'd like to think otherwise, but I betcha these "berries" turn out to be basaltic in content, as well.

-the other Doug
If you are talking about the lower, coarser-grained unit at Home Plate, I completely agree with you. Spirit observed this unit with the MI on sols 747 and 750.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit_m747.html
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit_m750.html

This new layer seems to show more of the spherules, but I would have to guess this rock is closely related to the unit at the base of HP. The geologic context here is very different from that at Meridiani. The resemblance of these spherules to the berry concretions is only superficial. Coincidentally, SS mentioned the spherules in that lower unit recently in the CEPSAR lecture that DeChengst so kindly made available as an avi file. Shortly after 26:20 he said: "...you can sort of convince yourself that they're reminiscent of lapilli, perhaps." Be sure to note that he said "sort of," and "perhaps." Lapilli, or some lapilli-like clasts would fit better into the geologic context of this environment, which is thought to be energetic...explosive volcanism or explosive impacts, or such.
dilo
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Nov 28 2006, 11:29 PM) *
Thanks, james.

of course I couldn't resist this one:
wink.gif
Click to view attachment

I was waiting for this, Bernhard! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.