Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HiPOD
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jamescanvin
OK folks. I have to admit I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed in HiRISE images already, and I know the tap hasn't even been turned fully on yet! There is just so much territory to be looked at.

To help us all see just a little bit more I propose that we start a 'Picture of the day' type thing (not necessarily one per day, the more the merrier smile.gif ) of HiRISE screen sized sub-images. Not necessarily the most amazing bits, but a bit random, I find myself quite drawn to the less obvious bits that no one may have seen yet. wink.gif

I'm going to use the same filenames as the original images appended with approximate pixel coordinates of the sub-image so that it can be found easily in the original.

James
jamescanvin
Here's your first.
edstrick
Lot of FLR's lying around there....

(Funny Looking Rocks)

----> wow <----
remcook
"Lot of FLR's lying around there..."

...and they seem to flock together as well. I think we need a massive swearing box in this thread!
jamescanvin
I've changed my mind - separate discussion thread would be a pain - threads merged.

Not far from the first image you get to the big feature of the image, a steep scarp up onto the North polar ice cap. I see that a nice dry stone wall has been build around the bottom. wink.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 30 2006, 11:15 PM) *
I've changed my mind - separate discussion thread would be a pain - threads merged.

Not far from the first image you get to the big feature of the image, a steep scarp up onto the North polar ice cap. I see that a nice dry stone wall has been build around the bottom. wink.gif

I'm a fan of the "enigmatic ice mound"... smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ustrax @ Nov 30 2006, 03:35 PM) *
I'm a fan of the "enigmatic ice mound"... smile.gif

No kidding. Speaking of "gullies". If someone wants to break this one open that center part with the gullies would be nice to see at full res.
Sunspot
has this HiVIEW viewing software been put on hold?
tuvas
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Nov 30 2006, 05:45 PM) *
has this HiVIEW viewing software been put on hold?

No, it's just a tad bit harder than we expected... As I understand in it's current form it works as most JP2 clients work, but the full JPIP capability is still forthcoming.
jamescanvin
Here is a tiny bit of that HUGE Eberswalde image. smile.gif
jamescanvin
For Ustrax. wink.gif

Enigmatic features on the Enigmatic Ice Mound...

Click to view attachment

btw, Did I mention anyone is free to add there own pics here? rolleyes.gif I'd love to see what the rest of you are spotting.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 1 2006, 08:42 PM) *
Enigmatic features on the Enigmatic Ice Mound...

Thanks James. There's a roughly stitched seem in that image that I realigned (below), although artifacts along the seem are still visible.

I wonder if anyone is going to claim those gullies are caused by flowing sand, high atop the ice mound.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 2 2006, 10:47 AM) *
I wonder if anyone is going to claim those gullies are caused by flowing sand, high atop the ice mound.

To me, what at first look like gullies, or large rivules, look like something else up close: Undercut ledges at the edge of domed mounds (of ice?). Very small rivules do seem to be coming out from under the ledges.
centsworth_II
I imagine a rover would see something like this (minus the liquid water of course... and the people):
Click to view attachment
From this site
lyford
What about something like Vasquez Rocks poking up through the Enigmatic Ice Mound?

Click to view attachment

Ground View - with Gorn:

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Dec 2 2006, 06:53 PM) *
I imagine a rover would see something like this (minus the liquid water of course... and the people):
Click to view attachment
From this site

and minus the streack on the rigth and minus the blue sky and minus ....BTW, centsworth_II, WHY did you post this picture? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif wink.gif and don't challenge me on Everest's pictures smile.gif
JunqueMan
Hi, I'm new here to the forum, been lurking for awhile, and thought I'd chime in on this thread. I've always been extremely interested in Mars since I was a kid,

Here's an intriging closeup of PSP_001440_1255_RED which is described as "Channels on Dunes in Russell Crater". I find the channels very curious. The hypothesis by the MOC team definitely sounds plausible.

To a non-scientist, like myself, they remind me of when you roll a large snowball down a snow covered hill. The snowball leaves a trail, pretty much like those pictured, till it disintegrates. I wonder if they could have been caused somewhat in the same manner, but by clumps of Martian soil rolling downhill? wheel.gif

I followed the naming suggestion, however, I'm not sure how close the pixel coordinates are. sad.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (lyford @ Dec 2 2006, 10:58 AM) *
What about something like Vasquez Rocks

Ah my old stomping grounds. I grew up about 30 minutes from there.
antipode
Speaking of naming, it seems to me that as new metre scale features come into view with MRO, we are going to need a new set of naming conventions. Probably there are too many of these strange levy-edged gullies to name INDIVIDUALLY, but they seem to occur in clumps, or 'fields' - what might we be tempted, following other Martian naming conventions, too call these suckers?

P
centsworth_II
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 2 2006, 04:32 PM) *
BTW, centsworth_II, WHY did you post this picture?

Because I thought it was a good representation of what the MRO
image was showing us.... Ice mounds, undercut along the edges.
That's how I see it anyway. Here I show how the pink and yellow
backpackers and an observing blue-decked rover might look in
the MRO image. You can see the perspective from which the rover
would be looking into the undercut edge of the ice mound.
Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Dec 3 2006, 03:13 PM) *
Because I thought it was a good representation of what the MRO
image was showing us.... Ice mounds, undercut along the edges.
That's how I see it anyway. Here I show how the pink and yellow
backpackers and an observing blue-decked rover might look in
the MRO image. You can see the perspective from which the rover
would be looking into the undercut edge of the ice mound.

I've got the point and by puting the two pictures together I guess this is pretty accurate. (I was just joking because you say it is what it'll look like... minus this, and this and this... wink.gif )
jamescanvin
Welcome, and thanks for chiming in JunqueMan.

Here's one for you - terrain doesn't get a lot more featureless than this, just a few tiny, metre sized craters.
Stu
Good grief!! These new MRO pics are amazing!!! Somehow I managed to stay offline while I was away - quite an effort, I can tell you, with an internet cafe right in the hotel foyer!!! - but seeing these new pics I;m glad I did, I'd have done nothing else!

If the Swear Box takes Euros I reckon I can half fill it just from the expletives I let out seeing those gullies for the first time...!!! blink.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 4 2006, 03:44 PM) *
Totally unneeded quote -removed

How true, Stu wink.gif

and what makes all this especially fascinating is the fact that not only there are many incredibly-high-quality new mars images to explore but that at the same time, due to the sheer image dimensions, each one of us can explore a whole little new world WITHIN each of the imgaes themselves, scrolling accross those alien landscapes, almost as if we all could fly our own little mars exploration airplane above the surface smile.gif smile.gif

fascinating, incredible, beautiful, ... a childhood dream coming true smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks again for all of NASA/JPL/MSSS/HiRISE Team and all who made this possible and for the courage to
provide all this online & near-real time to the world-wide public !
jamescanvin
I think you need to fix your credit again Nirgal.

Next,

Dust lake, north of Viking 1.

Kind of reminds me of Clarke's A Fall of Moondust

Click to view attachment

James
Nirgal
Nice find.
I wonder how deep the dust layer is there (reminds me also of the "dust fall" observed recently by
mars express ...)

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 6 2006, 02:52 AM) *
I think you need to fix your credit again Nirgal.

why ? my thanks obviously goes to anyone involved with the MRO spacecraft and instruments, including MSSS
for the Context Camera (CTX) smile.gif
jamescanvin
Ah OK Nirgal, I got confused by a strange list of credits.

First from the new batch

Weird, just weird. blink.gif

Click to view attachment

From: http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu//images/PSP/PSP_001410_2210/
kenny
Ustrax says: I'm a fan of the "enigmatic ice mound"...

Enigmatic Ice Mound

This is actually the startling frozen crater lake seen in color by Mars Express at 70N 103E in 2005:

Mars Express icy crater

Kenny
tty
This is actually the startling frozen crater lake seen in color by Mars Express at 70N 103E in 2005:

No crater lake this - it's 200 meters high!

tty
jamescanvin
Thanks Kenny, I hadn't made that connection.

Here are three more from the staggering Becquerel crater image.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JunqueMan
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 4 2006, 12:47 AM) *
Welcome, and thanks for chiming in JunqueMan.

Here's one for you - terrain doesn't get a lot more featureless than this, just a few tiny, metre sized craters.

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm truly amazed at the number of varied landscapes that have been photographed so far, and this being just the start of MRO's mission. When I was young, the best pictures of Mars were from the Mariner missions. I'm simply blown away with what the HiRISE camera is capable of doing. cool.gif
Stu
Colourised and enhanced version of the now much-loved "delta" in Eberswalde...

Click to view attachment

... just 'cos I felt like it! smile.gif
Shaka
biggrin.gif Stuey, you and Dilo should work up the first tourist brochures for Fly-Drive Martian Holidays.
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 10 2006, 10:58 PM) *
Colourised and enhanced version of the now much-loved "delta" in Eberswalde...
... just 'cos I felt like it! smile.gif

Very nice & atmospheric image, Stu .. i like the subtle color gradients smile.gif

Those MRO images are a dream to colorize (can't wait for the full 14-bit data release which should offer
even more dynamic range)

Here are some attempts at hand-coloring (thanks also to jamescanvin who discovered the detail views
within the large images)

The Beqcuerel-Crater-"Beacon Tower" at the shore of the sand sea:

Click to view attachment
Nirgal
And the beautiful "sand lake" north of the Viking landing site (The Greyish color of the sand is inspired by
similar appearance of the dark/grey patch of sand at Eldorado)

Click to view attachment
ustrax
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Dec 11 2006, 07:26 PM) *
And the beautiful "sand lake" north of the Viking landing site (The Greyish color of the sand is inspired by

Nirgal...You have done it! smile.gif
In my oppinion those are your best images so far.
mhoward

Astronishing! Hard to say how accurate [the colorization] is, but deeply thought-provoking.
Stu
And the beautiful "sand lake" north of the Viking landing site

Outstanding! I had a go at that one myself but having seen yours no way I'm putting it up! tongue.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (mhoward @ Dec 11 2006, 08:17 PM) *
Astronishing! Hard to say how accurate it is, but deeply thought-provoking.

Hard to say?!!!...I'll crown Nirgal as the author of one of the most astonishing images of our neighbour planet so far!...And this wasn't so hard to say... smile.gif
mhoward
QUOTE (ustrax @ Dec 11 2006, 09:46 PM) *
Hard to say?!!!...I'll crown Nirgal as the author of one of the most astonishing images of our neighbour planet so far!...And this wasn't so hard to say... smile.gif

Oh I agree... Although I think MRO had something to do with authoring the original image, the enhancement and colorization is probably the best I've ever seen.
climber
Nirgal, your Beacon-Tower is just x%zygrrk¤¤ (sorry I miss words).
I'm sure somebody can tell its height since we have this nice shadow.
Thanks & thanks
Nirgal
thank you all very much for all the nice words smile.gif
I'm glad you like the images so much ...
However this would not be possible without MRO providing such unbelievably high quality raw material !
I can hardly describe the excitement it causes whenever a new batch of images arrives: then It's just as
if one could start one's own helicopter tour accros giga-pixel-wide breathtaking areas of our neighbour planet, discovering details and taking color photographs of the scenery through the window :-)
... and the best is surely still to come with much more MRO imagery and HiView / 14-bit quality...
smile.gif

exciting times ahead !
Stu
Alternative view of nirgal's "dust lake crater"... can't get the colours as nice or as accurate as yours nirgal (and thanks for the tips, much appreciated! They're what made me decide to post my effort after all... ) so I'm going for a more dynamic "My Mars" look...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
lyford
Just want to add to the Nirgal Love Fest that in addition to the awesome colorizing, I really like the borders and titles as well - a good frame for a great picture! I think I know what my first print will be from our new Phaser 6120n... smile.gif
babakm
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 11 2006, 10:21 PM) *
I'm sure somebody can tell its height since we have this nice shadow.

If JamesCanvin's image is at full resolution (~25cm/pixel), the ~100 pixel length of the shadow + ~41 degree angle of the sun -> height of ~22 meters. Not as impressive as I initially thought, but still as tall as a nine-story building.
dilo
QUOTE (babakm @ Dec 12 2006, 06:22 PM) *
-> height of ~22 meters. Not as impressive as I initially thought, but still as tall as a nine-story building.

Imagine what would see a rover (or an astronaut) close to this obelisc... ohmy.gif
Nirgal, you made two really breathtaking colorizations!
Stu, I like your too but I notice some kind of vignetting effect or a fill-in flash-like center illumination which is not natural, IMO...
Stu
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 12 2006, 08:34 PM) *
Stu, I like your too but I notice some kind of vignetting effect or a fill-in flash-like center illumination which is not natural, IMO...

Not natural at all, I was going for abstract smile.gif I just liked the effect... just trying something different, imagining what the view would be like if the dunefields "caught the Sun" briefly and reflected it back... rolleyes.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (babakm @ Dec 13 2006, 04:22 AM) *
If JamesCanvin's image is at full resolution (~25cm/pixel), the ~100 pixel length of the shadow + ~41 degree angle of the sun -> height of ~22 meters. Not as impressive as I initially thought, but still as tall as a nine-story building.

No it's not. Here is the full res version - double the size so it's ~44m tall.

Click to view attachment

Oh and on refinding the mount I realized that my pixel coordinates in the filenames, taken from the 'center' values in Expressview are screen pixels and are therefore wrong if not zoomed in all the way. So some of the coordinates given so far will be wrong.

James
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 12 2006, 10:33 PM) *
No it's not. Here is the full res version - double the size so it's ~44m tall.

OK, that will still be my first climb when I'll get there smile.gif
Stu
This one's for ustrax... again, not trying to be 100% colour accurate, but going for something a little more abstract and, well, attractive for the sake of it. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.