Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay of Toil
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tesheiner
Bay of Toil is on sight after sol 1055 drive.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...AZP0645L0M1.JPG

Click to view attachment
Stu
Now THIS looks like an interesting spot for a picnic... smile.gif

Leaving aside the wisdom of poking Fate in the eye with a big sharp stick by naming a crumbling crater rim bay "The Bay of Toil" ... blink.gif ... here's a quick feature nickname suggestion that kinda jumped out at me...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
djellison
What might make a very interesting target for a weekend (next weekend perhaps ) is what I've started calling the 'dock' of the Bay of Toil - just north of the bay a sort of 'echo' of the rim set back 10m or so. A few 10's of CM's of material.

Doug
Tesheiner
"The dock", I like this name. smile.gif

I'm curious about that outcrop since two weeks ago. I was wondering if those are remnants of an upper rock layer or perhaps Cape Desire is "cracking" at that point and becoming a sort of "Soup Dragon" in a couple of hundred million years.
Stu
Wow... ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 12 2007, 01:05 PM) *
The dock", I like this name

A Bay, The dock, a week-end, a Picnic ?
Can we just Sit on the Dock of The Bay for the week-end?

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay
by Otis Redding/Steve Cropper... and some changes by Climber... biggrin.gif

Sitting in the morning sun
I'll sitting till the evening comes
Watching Oppy roll in
Then I watch her roll away again, yeah.

Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the time roll away
Oh, sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time, ah ha ha

I left my home in California
And headed for Toil Bay
Coz I have nothing to live for
And look's like nothing will come my way

So, I'm sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide go away
I'm sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

Look's like nothing's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I can do what people tell me to do
So, I guess I'll remains the same

Sitting here west in East born
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's 200 Millions miles I roll
Just to make this dock my home

Watch the tide go away, ooohh ooohh
Wasting time
jvandriel
Here is the Pancam L2 view of the Bay of Toil.

Taken on Sol 1055.

jvandriel
Marz
QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 12 2007, 03:33 AM) *
Now THIS looks like an interesting spot for a picnic... smile.gif

Leaving aside the wisdom of poking Fate in the eye with a big sharp stick by naming a crumbling crater rim bay "The Bay of Toil" ... blink.gif ... here's a quick feature nickname suggestion that kinda jumped out at me...
smile.gif

Stu, your posts are always such a joy to read! It looks like a great spot to picnic is the small escarpment of rock north of the Bay of Toil. Could it be a top layer of rock exposed by slumping, and therefore relatively unaltered and easily approached?
ElkGroveDan
Climber you are going to make Stu jealous.
Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jan 12 2007, 09:22 PM) *
Climber you are going to make Stu jealous.

Jealous? Hmmm, let's see... my prattling "stuff" vs Otis Reading's lyrics... only one winner there I think! smile.gif
Stu
Like I said, nice place for a picnic...

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
fredk
Great new view today!

The slopes of Victoria are sure messy inside the N-NE rim. Here's a crop from the latest pancams showing more rolling boulder trails, and the corresponding region from a hirise image:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
alan
There are a couple of streaks that appear to originate from a 'hole' in a large chunk of ejecta.
Click to view attachment
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (alan @ Jan 12 2007, 11:24 PM) *
There are a couple of streaks that appear to originate from a 'hole' in a large chunk of ejecta.

Alan:

I don't see that, I see simply a dustfall beneath an overhang - look to the right and there are many similar overhangs. It's just a series of slightly less eroded lumps.

Bob Shaw
MarkL
Thanks for that comparison fredk. The chevron dunes (very dark in your top image) are interesting. I did not realize they would be on such strongly sloping ground. The material on the surface of these dunes seems to be the same stuff that has blown out of the crater into the dark plumes to the north and nne. (Some say underlying material that's been scraped off, I know)
CosmicRocker
Hehe, MarklL. It will be interesting to pass one of the dark streaks and hopefully see what the story is. For some of us, the removal of the ubiquitous bright dust seems to be the simplest explanation, but I will concede that the opposite has been observed. An interesting Martian location is El Dorado, on the other side of the planet, where dark, olivine-rich sediment has accumulated and later has been covered by the light dust...only to be exposed as dark again by local wind events.

Climber! I can't believe that I missed that association of words. I guess it took Doug to name the outcrop behind B3 as the dock. "Sitting on the dock of the bay..." That's so appropriate. smile.gif
MarsIsImportant
QUOTE (alan @ Jan 12 2007, 05:24 PM) *
Click to view attachment

That dark spot appearing to be a hole (the one you labeled as such) is really part of a crack across that particular rock. The streaks below, however, do appear to originate with it. We need a much closer look to establish a good interpretation of it. I hope we can do so without endangering the rover.

I cannot help but think of the water flow streaks spotted by MGS on other crater slopes. Such an interpretation is premature, but I just cannot help thinking about it.
climber
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 13 2007, 08:52 AM) *
Climber! I can't believe that I missed that association of words. I guess it took Doug to name the outcrop behind B3 as the dock. "Sitting on the dock of the bay..." That's so appropriate. smile.gif

Thanks Cosmic...and with your permission Asto,
Here is the "Doug of the Bay" wink.gif
Click to view attachment
djellison
Wahghg

I'm sat here wearing jeans and a shirt, looking at me in the same jeans and shirt, looking at Mars.

Wierd.

Doug
marsbug
While you're there do you think you could drop by home plate and give spirits solar panels a wipe? biggrin.gif
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 13 2007, 10:09 PM) *
Wahghg
I'm sat here wearing jeans and a shirt, looking at me in the same jeans and shirt, looking at Mars.
Wierd.
Doug

You may want to visit there : http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ic=3691&hl=
They've got nice T-shirt and other stuff... biggrin.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
CosmicRocker
Nice one, climber. Hehe, poor Doug, standing there dessicated and frozen in-place, trying to snap a pic of Cape Saint Mary to send back to the forum. Talk about dedication...
kenny
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 13 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Thanks Cosmic...and with your permission Asto,
Here is the "Doug of the Bay" wink.gif
Click to view attachment

That is brilliant ! Makes FredK look like a mere shadow..... Kenny
Astro0
It has been such a long time since a I last posted a message and even longer since I have done any SFX images of the Rovers or UMSF members on Mars.

We must be nearing the time for another BBQ. A nice beach (annulus) by a Bay somewhere or on an appropriate Cape perhaps?

Don't go crazy yet UMSF'ers. I think that an announcement in the Community Chat thread will appear soon.
Let me take a look around for a good location first.

Cheers
Astro0
climber
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jan 14 2007, 11:12 PM) *
It has been such a long time since a I last posted a message and even longer since I have done any SFX images of the Rovers or UMSF members on Mars.
We must be nearing the time for another BBQ. A nice beach (annulus) by a Bay somewhere or on an appropriate Cape perhaps?
Don't go crazy yet UMSF'ers. I think that an announcement in the Community Chat thread will appear soon.
Let me take a look around for a good location first.
Cheers
Astro0

Good to hear about you again AstroO, may be my post of your work kinda wake you up wink.gif
What about a Sitting on the duck of the Bay as the next one?
Astro0
Climber said: "...What about a Sitting on the duck of the Bay as the next one?"

OK. I couldn't let the "...duck of the Bay" typo-quote go by...there was no resisting the image it conjured up in my warped little mind.
Click to view attachmentFile:135k

Enjoy
Astro0
Tesheiner
Fresh navcams from sol 1058 at the exploratorium: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2007-01-15/

Click to view attachment
edstrick
What we need is a Burroughsian Green Martian, 4 arms and all, standing on the promontory... The riding-thoat and red martian slave girl is optional.
Stu
Click to view attachment

Loving this view as it opens up...
Airbag
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 15 2007, 06:45 AM) *

That big layered rock at the bottom of the nearby cliff looks accessible to the IDD as the ground below it is not sloping as much as just upslope of it. Certainly no more "roll" slope there than Opportunity already encountered in Endurance crater. Of course, Opportunity would have to get there via some other bay I think and then climb back up to this point. All speculation of course.

Airbag.

PS Doug - you need buy some more clothes smile.gif
MarsIsImportant
It looks like we possibly found a way OUT of Victory! Take a look and tell me what you think?

Click to view attachment
diane
If we go in through one bay and plan to come out through another, what's the sanity level for navigating around the base of the capes? Considering slope, sand, rock hazards, and so forth.
jvandriel
Here is the complete 360 degree panoramic view from Sol 1058.

Taken with the L0 Navcam.

jvandriel
climber
QUOTE (Airbag @ Jan 15 2007, 05:18 PM) *
That big layered rock at the bottom of the nearby cliff looks accessible to the IDD as the ground below it is not sloping as much as just upslope of it. Certainly no more "roll" slope there than Opportunity already encountered in Endurance crater. Of course, Opportunity would have to get there via some other bay I think and then climb back up to this point. All speculation of course.

The choice of the place to enter the crater could be dictated by what you point out here BUT anylising a fallen "rock" will only benefit if you know for sure where it come from. This is hard from where we are so, the option will be to get it anyway so you'll have more infos of where the rock come from by comparing the veiw from the outside with the view from the inside. Now, I wonder of the interest of anylising felt rock because you must have the same info on the way down throught a bay. Benefict could may be to compare the same layer within a Bay and within a Cape...
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 15 2007, 11:24 PM) *
The choice of the place to enter the crater could be dictated by what you point out here BUT anylising a fallen "rock" will only benefit if you know for sure where it come from. This is hard from where we are so, the option will be to get it anyway so you'll have more infos of where the rock come from by comparing the veiw from the outside with the view from the inside. Now, I wonder of the interest of anylising felt rock because you must have the same info on the way down throught a bay. Benefict could may be to compare the same layer within a Bay and within a Cape...

The benefit of rocks in the scree slope below the bluffs is that they are right in front of you, instead of halfway up a vertical wall. You can RAT the dust off, and get a good, long look...

Bob Shaw
climber
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 16 2007, 12:57 AM) *
The benefit of rocks in the scree slope below the bluffs is that they are right in front of you, instead of halfway up a vertical wall. You can RAT the dust off, and get a good, long look...
Bob Shaw

I agree on this Bob, I just says that if you don't know exactely where they come from, interest is less.
Phil Stooke
Here is jvandriel's 1058 pan in polar form.

Replying to Diane - we have to go in, but I'm not sure if there is a sanity level for driving round one of the capes!

And regarding scree - outcrops are better than scree because you know where a sample came from - as was said - but on the other hand the multispectral and miniTES can help resolve those issues as well.

Phil
Airbag
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 15 2007, 06:24 PM) *

No, that is not the rock I was refering to. I was refering to one of the larger pieces that make up the cliff itself; one of the presumed aeolian deposit ones. Its origin is quite clear - it is holding up the cliff and has not gone anywhere (yet).

You can see the slope is markedly less right in front of that one; that was my point. All the other "lower cliff" units we have seen so far have had steep slopes next to them.

Airbag
mhoward
Sol 1058
CosmicRocker
Thanks for the updates. Some of us were eagerly awaiting them. smile.gif

MarsIsImportant: Regarding the exit ramp, I think I can see it, as long as that is also the entrance ramp. Like others, I would still be concerned about negotiating any of the major capes adjacent to it. Still, It does appear to be a place entry and exit might be possible.
ronatu
QUOTE (MarsIsImportant @ Jan 15 2007, 11:55 AM) *
It looks like we possibly found a way OUT of Victory! Take a look and tell me what you think?

And why is that?
Tesheiner
Few activities (if any) tosol at VC, isn't it? rolleyes.gif
dilo
QUOTE (mhoward @ Jan 16 2007, 04:45 AM) *
Sol 1058

Thanks, Michael. I know Phil already produced the polar projection, here I add also vertical one (2.5cm/pixel):
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Astro0
I really love those polar projections from Dilo and others.
Here's my take on it.
"Opportunity on a Fractured World"
Click to view attachmentFile:149k

Enjoy
Astro0

PS: The rover image came from another UMSF'ers rendering. Sorry I can't remember who.
Tesheiner
These are the planned sequences for sol 1060 and 1061:
- Color/stereo (L257R2) mosaic of Cape Desire
- Drive to a new position
- 180º navcam mosaic centered at 45º
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 17 2007, 08:19 AM) *
These are the planned sequences for sol 1060 and 1061:
- Drive to a new position
- 180º navcam mosaic centered at 45º

To which point in this area (see below) would you drive and then take a picture centered at 45º (North is 0º)?

Click to view attachment

Hint: It remindes me of a song...
djellison
Due north of current position - imaging toward the dock and the edge of the bay.
Tesheiner
Bingo!

That was my guess. However, I have to say that there is another "point with an interesting feature at 45º"; if they drive due south towards the tip of the current cape (*), Cape Desire would be centered right at that angle.

(*) BTW, I can't find any official name to the cape we are currently located (B1-B2).
Nix
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jan 17 2007, 01:37 AM) *
PS: The rover image came from another UMSF'ers rendering. Sorry I can't remember who.

I think it was from Vikingmars(ODG). Nice view!

Nico
Stu
Lovely layers...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.