Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voyager 2 Saturn Revisited
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn
Pages: 1, 2
tedstryk
I worked on this sequence back in 2005 but never thought of animating it.

elakdawalla
Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I just wanted to compliment Bjorn on his amazing job assembling the Jupiter mosaic I posted yesterday. At 2048 by 2048 it's got more pixels on a roughly true-color globe of Jupiter than any other image I've ever seen on the Web.
tedstryk
Holy Cow! I never clicked to enlarge, so I thought it was some old work I saw him do a long time ago. WOW!
jasedm
I second this - I've nabbed it for my desktop - truly spectacular - thank you Bjorn.

Jase
ugordan
Yep, Bjorn posted the image here a while ago and it's truly a masterpiece. Probably the best Voyager Jupiter image I ever saw and the difference in the planet's appearance to more recent images makes it all the more amazing.
elakdawalla
Actually, this one is better than the one you saw previously, Gordan -- he did extra work cleaning up the terminator.
machi
Thanks for comments! tongue.gif

And Jupiter from Björn is really amazing! Making mosaic (and in color!) of giant planets is really difficult, because of rapidly changing atmosphere. I think that Björn's mosaic is one of the best images of Jupiter I have ever seen.
JohnVV
i could have used that vid of Hyperion when i did my map
i am still not to sure about the east side of the map .

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Very interesting!

Phil
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 8 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I just wanted to compliment Bjorn on his amazing job assembling the Jupiter mosaic I posted yesterday. At 2048 by 2048 it's got more pixels on a roughly true-color globe of Jupiter than any other image I've ever seen on the Web.

The only higher resolution global color mosaic I have seen of Jupiter is this Cassini true color mosaic. There is another well know high resolution global Cassini mosaic but its resolution is not as high as in the new Voyager 2 mosaic and the color balance could also be improved. This new Voyager 2 mosaic is by far the highest resolution global color mosaic I have seen of Jupiter from Voyager data.

As previously noted the new Voyager 2 mosaic is an improved version of an earlier mosaic I did several years ago. The resolution is somewhat higher, I spent lots of work on the terminator and the color balance is better. It's not perfect though - it's probably impossible to get perfect color if all you have is orange and violet source data.

Interestingly almost all of the 'official' Voyager global color images are based on Voyager 1 data. I have seen only 2 or 3 (!) 'official' global Voyager 2 color composites. So in a way I'm filling a gap here smile.gif. There were also some significant changes to Jupiter's appearance between the two Voyager flybys, especially near the GRS, which make this even more interesting.
tedstryk
My closer Galileo mosaic is also very high resolution, but it is extremely high phase.

Ian R
The color isn't perfect, and indeed one or two frames suffer minor alignment issues, but otherwise this movie of Saturn's spokes is best viewed in 1080p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgbUaQGd4RE
Bjorn Jonsson
Wow.
This is probably the best Voyager Saturn movie I have ever seen.
ZLD
Absolutely stunning work Ian!
ElkGroveDan
Very impressive Ian.
Ian R
Thanks guys! smile.gif I did this last year, and given I was preoccupied with another project, I gave myself a week to complete this movie, from start to finish. This explains some of the minor flaws I listed above, and there is scope for a revised version, perhaps using reprojected frames to fill the central gap.
jgoldader
Ian: just... wow! Riding along with Voyager indeed!
PDP8E
Ian, nice work! thanks
Ian R
This is how the very same sequence was presented back in the day:

https://youtu.be/b1GDhWQbHfQ?t=5m28s
ZLD
This makes it much clearer how impressive your version is! Once again, well done Ian.
DrShank
QUOTE (ZLD @ Jun 24 2015, 04:39 PM) *
This makes it much clearer how impressive your version is! Once again, well done Ian.

agree! it is beautiful. would it look even better if more of the center were cropped out so the frame edges didn't dance around so much?
Floyd
Ian, your work impressively demonstrates how much information was in the Voyager data--and how your skills and modern tools have the ability to unlock that old dataset. Cassini has so improved our image coverage and scientific knowledge of Saturn's moons that watching 1981 clips shows both the joy of first discoveries, but also how far we have come in 34 years.
jasedm
Stunning work Ian, thanks for sharing with us!

Noticeable difference to me between Voyager and Cassini is the (relative) paucity of spokes in the rings. They are very prominent in the Voyager data.

Rob Pinnegar
Beautiful job Ian -- really nice work.
Ian R
With my grateful thanks to Tanya and Emily of The Planetary Society, my new guest blog entry gives the low-down on how I assembled this sequence last year, over the course of just one week:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs...oach-movie.html
Astroboy
Here's something kind of simple... the Saturn rotation approach movie in a version that's totally raw and another that's processed and stabilized. It plays at a rate of 48 minutes per second, or about ten frames per second - I accounted for a 4.8 minute break by doubling the frame prior to the break. I roughly stabilized the whole sequence manually, frame by frame. I could've found a way to do it automatically but it wouldn't have been as satisfying. Manually stabilizing Voyager image sequences is a really relaxing, stress relieving activity for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqibI7-KUAw

It's kind of hard to see due to the erased reseaus and the fact that Saturn is hazy, but a few storms can be seen rotating around the planet. The famous spokes and a ton of moons are clearly visible. Keep an eye out for the occultations and transits!
Brian Burns
This is really cool - it's great to see all the orbiting moons.

I haven't tried any automation on the Saturn images yet so don't know how well it will handle the rings - it might not work very well...
Astroboy
Thanks! I'm looking at a few more possible movies to do, including some longitudinal sequences where the faint storms are a little easier to pick out.
jccwrt
Here's a picture of Prometheus against the backdrop of the rings and Saturn's cloudtops on August 25, 1981.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.