The September to October 2004 Saturn imaging sequence is a gold mine for anyone interested in processing images of Saturn. This is the best sequence of high resolution images for both movies and multispectral coverage so far and as far as I know the best (and in particular the longest) one of the entire mission.
I decided to do a high resolution movie of one of the two big spots near latitude 45°S. These spots are the biggest ones, at least in the southern hemisphere. I posted images of these spots in this thread early this year. Unlike these images the movie was created from CB3 images. Using this filter, the camera penetrates the atmosphere more deeply than at visible wavelengths.
I started by reprojecting the images to simple cylindrical projection at a resolution of 25 pixels/degree, removing illumination effects on the fly. Where needed, I mosaicked 2-4 images (for some of the frames, a single image covered a sufficiently large area). I then further compensated for illumination effects by manually processing some of the frames. For all of the frames, I kept the spot at a fixed location. The final step was to greatly enhance contrast in the images.
The end result is a 20 frame AVI file encoded using DivX at 4 frames/second. The individual frames still vary a bit in brightness but this does not detract attention from all of the action going on. It's especially interesting to see the big spot merge with two smaller spots at the same time. It appears to 'swallow' them although some very bright material gets ejected from the spot in the process. Some of the spots exhibit obvious counterclockwise motion and in some cases they oscillate and change shape (possibly a bit like Neptune's Great Dark Spot).
The interval between the frames varies, accounting for the apparently uneven motion between frames. In most cases it is near 10.5 or 21 hours but sometimes longer, in one case as long as 5 days. The movie starts on September 6, 2004 and ends on October 1, 2004.
Here is an 'appetizer', one of the more interesting frames that shows the big spot about to swallow the two smaller spots:
Click to view attachment
And here is the animation file
There are several additonal hi-res movies I'm interested in making but the next step is some software development to try to streamline the process and speed it up.
EDIT: This was done using images from the PDS.